Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

We’ll take a cup of kindness yet…

December 6, 2010

PORTUGAL/

Blog Guy, I recall that you have a problem around the holidays. You have too much Christmas spirit, and you’re always looking for ways to tone it down and restore your cynicism. Last year it was that souvenir statuette in Milan that finally did it for you. How’s it going this season?

Pretty good. I’m feeling more cynical after seeing photos of these two beggars who panhandle for money to buy booze using the slogan, “At least I’m honest.”

honest beggars 280Ah, I get it. You think if random passers-by are willing to enable apparent binge drinking and alcoholism, then mankind is pretty nasty after all, right?

No, but that’s a very nice try.

Thanks. But I guess you’ll have to twist it for us.

These guys have been doing this for EIGHT years, and they even have their own Website. One of them is using a laptop!

honest beggars signs 300I think these are just regular dudes, getting rich by exploiting the public’s stereotypes about the poor and homeless.

I’m betting they really spend their income on big-screen televisions, fancy espresso machines and sending their kids to Sarah Lawrence.

There’s probably not a drop of booze in the house apart from the bottle of Dom Perignon they plan to open on New Year’s Eve to toast another profitable year of pretending to be substance abusers. Is that dark enough for you?

Amazing, Blog Guy. God bless us, every one!

Top: Spanish beggar Jose asks for money to buy alcoholic drinks at the Rossio square in Lisbon December 2, 2010. Jose and his friend Lyndon have been beggars for eight years, and instead of asking for money to eat, they ask for alcohol and drugs with a slogan, “At least I’m honest.”

Right: British beggar Lyndon works with his laptop at the Rossio square in Lisbon December 2, 2010.

REUTERS photos by Rafael Marchante

Comments

And thats why I dont give them money…. giving food is much better…

Food you’ve made?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well, havent done that… buying a croissant helps I have seen… that way, if they get indigestion, they can sue the supermarket! :D

Did you see the website? Lazybeggers.com! Ha that’s pretty funny!

Since dude has the dogs there I would spot some Milk Bones and kibble instead. No sense in the dogs suffereing cause dude is a lazy begger. Dot com.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Not a penny for this beggar.

Now, if it had said “Para Moet and Chandon”, that would at least be supporting a worthy cause. :)

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

It’e easy to be judgemental, and there are certainly any number of scam artists who do this just to supplement whatever other income they have.
There are also some genuinely sad cases, where through circumstance and psychological issues, people find themselves on the street unable to cope with any other kind of life.
The first kind make me very angry at them and the way they abuse the kindness of other people. The second make me angry at the people and agencies who have failed them so many times in the past.
I volunteer two evenings a month at a shelter, and its about this time of year when the scammers really start to show themselves.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I always carry a gift certificate for McDonalds. There is one downtown close to my office. If someone asks for money for food, I give him/her that. And I don’t carry that certificate in my wallet, so I don’t open my wallet in front of people.

One time, walking the several blocks to my car, a nicely dressed young man asked me for a quarter. The funny thing is, I was convinced that day that no one would ask me for anything. I was carrying a whopping big handsaw that was an exhibit in a case. But this young man did. He said he needed the quarter to call his girlfriend, who was supposed to pick him up, and she hadn’t. I gave him two, in case he needed to make two calls.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hang on, Doc. I think a better anecdote here would be what kind of case has a big handsaw for evidence….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

There’s nothing wrong with mugging, Spin. We have several wings devoted to it at the Goofy Face Museum…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Maybe it was a “musical” saw for a case of disturbing the peace?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I just had an idea for the Goofy Face Museum. A concession stand where you pull a goofy face and it gets printed on to a coffee mug.
You could charge $10 to buy the mug, and an additional $25 to destroy the evidence, or your name and address will be handed over to the UoW Alumni Association.
Now that’s a mugging.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I like Nosmo’s idea of mugging…

Anyone with Spanish better than mine care to tell me what Ressaca is?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I believe “para ressaca” means “for the hangover,” at least in Portugese. But it could also mean “for total drunkenness.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I just feel like singing Auld Lang Syne now… :D

Or maybe a Scottish version of that, Shra….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Oh, the version Robert Burns wrote… definitely that… the version which has words like tak, twae, braes, gowans and pint’ stoup!

A friend of mine made me learn all five verses to Auld Land Syne one New Year.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Was it the Scottish version, Knit?
I was lost the first time I heard it…
After that, it wasnt so bad….

It was New Year, Shra, everyone sounds a bit Scottish after that many drinks.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Nurse or Shra, speaking of the full lyrics, can you explain that stuff about gathering lovers’ twine? If it’s not too educational, I mean.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Tell me about it Spin… I remember I actually had the guts to walk upto this cute, but stern looking policeman who was towering above me and thrust out my hand to wish him a Happy New Year… He smirked… just a tad bit.. :P

BG, umm… this is a family blog! I’ll message ya… :D

Oh! I meant, Knit! :D