Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Bamboozle small pandas for a living?

December 8, 2010

panda suit 490

Blog Guy,  I’ve read that some pandas are being reintroduced into the wild. This fascinates me, but I worry that panda cubs raised around humans won’t be able to adapt.

panda costumes combo 280That’s not an issue. All the humans these cubs come in contact with are dressed as pandas.

I’m trying to be serious here for just a minute, Blog Guy.

I’m not making this up. See, here are “researchers” in China, taking care “to ensure that the cub’s environment is devoid of human influence.”

I gather the panda costumes totally fool the cubs, who don’t notice that these adults walk upright, speak a tonal language and take frequent cigarette breaks.

Awesome! So everything is just like it will be in their natural habitat?

Indeed, right down to such tiny details as the same kind of blue plastic storage containers real panda parents use to transport their young.

panda costume vertical 220So do these “researchers” spend their whole career dressed as adult pandas?

Sadly, their careers are often cut short. Many are mistaken for real pandas, captured and put in zoos.

Er, can’t they just unzip their costume?

What, and leave show business?

Blog Guy, I have to ask. Was your headline on this item a clever reference to what pandas eat?

Clever? Most people would say no.

Researchers dressed in panda costumes check a panda cub at the Hetaoping Research and Conservation Center for the Giant Panda in Wolong National Nature Reserve, Sichuan province December 3, 2010. The 4-month old cub is the first in the center to be trained for reintroduction into the wild. REUTERS/Stringer

Comments

What a cute baby panda!

If they nick themselves on the plastic lids, do they cover the nick with a pand-aid?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Nice title… and I quite like the last pic…

It saddens me to see that even the Panda community has snatch-and-grab kidnappings (cubnappings?)too.
Observe the second photo where the criminal is handing off the victim to a panda trafficer, probably to spend the rest of it’s miserable life in isolation and captivity in some zoo sweatshop, posing for ‘publicity photos’ and forced to participate in ‘captive breeding’ programs!
The third photo just shows how clever these trafficers have become, wearing human masks to hide their true identity.
On a more upbeat note, the last photo shows a member of the PRC (Panda Rescue Coalition, not the other one) returning a liberated cub to its native land.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

And before you ask, Crowgirl, I am not going to dress up as a sow to give the sickly piglet formula and pig cuddles. She seems to like the wool jumper just fine.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Blog Guy you have opened a pandora’s pandemic, purposely pandering to passionate panda proponents.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

For a minute I thought this post was gonna be for some new Panda reality show. I’m OK now (NOT!).

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

In order to be “reintroduced” into the wild that would imply the panda cub was already introduced to the wild. If that is the case why did these “researchers” capture the panda cub and what did they “train” it to do? Are the Chinese going to unleash a pandapacolypse unto the world?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

:) “Pandapocalypse” :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Lo, briliiant , Mr.Pilot… Another day when I continue to smirk into my screen….
You know Jazz.. i knew I liked that last pic.. you just gave me a different perspective… I like it even more now!!
For Panda Liberation!!!!

Crowgirl for the win!

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Spin, no improving needed, that was brilliant the way you have it. :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive