Hey Billy, you’re gettin’ out of hell!

December 18, 2010

Blog Guy, I need your help. I have too much important stuff on my mind lately, and I need something to think about that is totally irrelevant.

PARDON/BILLYTHEKIDI mean, this needs to be so inconsequential that after I think about it, I’ll feel dirty just for wasting my time on it.

You sure came to the right place, stranger! How about the issue of whether Billy the Kid should get a pardon?

People are discussing that? Tell me more!

It turns out New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson is reviewing a pardon petition based on the widespread belief that an earlier territorial governor promised Billy a pardon in exchange for his testimony in a murder trial.

But isn’t Billy dead? Really, really dead?

Yep, since 1881, but some folks are pushing for a posthumous pardon.

Posthumous?

Yes, that’s a word that means, “Who gives a crap?”

POPE/So there’s nothing really at stake here?

Well, I suppose maybe if Billy gets the pardon he’ll be moved to slightly nicer circle of hell or something, but nobody is saying this will vindicate him.

So there’s no harm in supporting the petition, right?

Uh, it could set a legal precedent, and the spirits of Jesse James, Vlad the Impaler, John Wilkes Booth, Adolf Hitler and Eddie Haskell could be released from hell to roam the Earth and destroy all that we hold dear.

But that’s the only downside?

No. In light of this debate, you might also think about whether New Mexico even needs to have a governor at all.

Right: Henry McCarty, a.k.a. Billy the Kid, is pictured in this undated photograph obtained by Reuters on December 16, 2010.

Left: New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson (R) meets Pope Benedict XVI during Wednesday general audience in Saint Peter’s square at the Vatican April 15, 2009. REUTERS/Osservatore Romano

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler, Oddly Enough. Oddly Enough said: Hey Billy, you’re gettin’ out of hell! http://dlvr.it/BfM63 [...]

“Billy the Kid” was a cattle rustler, a thief, and a sociopathic cold-blooded murderer. He was tried and sentenced to hang, and he would have if he hadn’t murderd two Sheriff’s deputies to escape and then later been shot by the Sheriff, Pat whateverhisnamewas. I remember he shot a deputy with 10-gauge shotgun right after he said “Hello Bob.” I remember now, the Sheriff’s last name was Garrett.

This is what happens when one romanticizes the Old West and its outlaws. Years from now, when they romanticize the 1960s even more than some people do today, some moron governor will want to pardon Charles Manson.

By the way, one of Manson’s “girls,” Patricia Krenshaw, is up for her 12th parole hearing in January 2011. She participated in both the Tate and LaBianca torture/ murders. She’s the one who shoved a fork in Leo LaBiana’s abdomen and a steakknife in his neck and then played with his dogs before leaving. She now trains service puppies in prison.

Murder remains murder; murderers remain murderers.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hold up there, Doc, I think your history is mixed up. I’m pretty sure Pat Garrett is the cop on Hawaii Five-O….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

In a nutshell what is wrong with our system of governance. Just a thought, but isn’t there something a tich more pressing for Billy the Gov. to be worrying about and/or doing than pardoning a long sense dead old west criminal?

Posted by onequartlow | Report as abusive

Can’t the folks in New Mexico think of something better to rally around than a dead sociopath? Just checked on their state motto: Grows as it goes. Geez, I hope the crazy part doesn’t continue to grow. Can we send them a truckload of donuts? Or will they try to rob the driver?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Doc, yeah but “Young Guns” made it all look so gee-golly awesome!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

One of my more infamous ancestors was Judge Roy Bean. Maybe I should petition Texas for a pardon? Oh wait, that’s right, he pardoned himself…

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Jazz, I love Judge Roy Bean. One of his sentencing speeches prior to a hanging is priceless.

Ifly, I see a lot of kids in inner-city schools named after Old West outlaws — Jesses James ____, for example. One wonders about the self-image and self-fulfilling prophesy that will follow those children. Not me, though. No wild west villain’s name for my child, Jeffrey Dalmer _____.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

http://usmilnet.com/smf/index.php?topic= 13413.0;wap2

Judge McKay kept a copy of a book on Judge Bean in his chambers.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I would like to take one entry to pay tribute to Ken Osmond, the actor who played Eddie Haskell. Osmond was a police officer and detective with the Los Angeles P.D. He was shot 3 times and survived because he was wearing a bullet-proof vest. After 17 years on the force, he had to go on disability becuase of his injuries.

Does it show that I’m a former police officer and am married to an assistant district attorney?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Lets let the dead lie like a fence Post.Humous isn’t it a major component of mulch and other organic gardening?

Chew on that one Govnr!!!

Posted by wheelz | Report as abusive

@Doc – My favorite quote of the ol’ judge was “I know the law… I am it’s greatest transgressor.”
Based on some of his papers in the family, I think that was one of the few times he was telling the truth…

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

You know… I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for the first time last night…
And I must say, I LOVED Paul Newman! I am already a Robert Redford fan, and he looks mind-bogglingly handsome!

One of my favourite quotes was:

[during a gunfight with the Bolivian police, Butch and Sundance run low on ammunition]
Butch Cassidy: We’re going to run out unless we can get to that mule and get some more.
Sundance Kid: I’ll go.
Butch Cassidy: This is no time for bravery. I’ll let ya!

In that vein, Shra, just this morning I said to my wife “Let’s do just one more bank job and then buy a ranch.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Butch Cassidy: What happened to the old bank? It was beautiful.
Guard: People kept robbing it.
Butch Cassidy: Small price to pay for beauty

Rules? In a knife fight?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Billy the kid, I understand ya
It really ain’t your fault that the west was so wild
Billy the kid, Cain’t reprimand ya,
Ya musta been deprived when you were a child

Bobbie Gentry

He came from a broken home on the range.

Posted by Gaikas | Report as abusive

Yeah.
Billy the kid, you should have been a good guy
If you had had the proper guidance from your dad
Billy the kid, nobody should die
Environmental circumstances made you go bad

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive