Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Could this blog get any verse?

January 11, 2011

verse shakespeare 490

Blog Guy, I notice some of your readers submit their comments in haiku and limericks, and a couple of times you’ve done entire blog posts in verse.

EU-PRESIDENT/POETRYSure. I’m not averse to verse. That would be perverse. I’m a versatile pro, and pros write prose and vice versa.

That’s easy for you to say. But what if the going gets tough?

If it gets adverse, I would reverse myself and be averse to verse and vice versa. Conversely, I would say…

Excuse me. So your advice on verse is?

Diversify…

Top: A 1640 copy, in contemporary sheep binding, of William Shakespeare’s first collected edition of his Poems sits on display at Sotheby’s auction house in New York, April 19, 2006. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

Left: The European Union’s President Herman Van Rompuy presents a book collecting haiku he wrote, during a ceremony in Brussels, April 15, 2010. His expertise in haiku, written in Flemish, has also made him famous as the poet Belgian prime minister. REUTERS/Yves Herman

Comments

It plays well, but in
dotted rhythm, minor key.
Pass the Malox, please.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Mr B, the fact that your column on verse has garnered more responses than any other attests to the refined sensibilities of your readers. Some bloggers pander to the lowest common denominator, but you, monsieur? Jamais! I take off my chapeau to you.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Wait, pandering to verse and haiku isn’t the Lowest Common Denominator? We’re actually getting classy?

That’s it, back to doughnuts, Lamar, and shoes for Mr. Basler.

RED

Posted by REDruin | Report as abusive

Spin, I’m glad to see you haven’t lost your zest for lemon wordplay. If I do, I hope you’ll come to my ade.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hang on. In addition to buttering our bread one bite at a time, now we need to know which SIDE is the right one?

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/01/11/you-stuck-him-with-the-wrong-kn ife-fool/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Spin re the “Sh-Boom” song: I have tears in my eyes. Could you change the “yada” to “lala” and sing it at Lamar’s and my wedding?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

I don’t want to speak out of turn, but I believe Lamar has always planned to have Barry Manilow sing at his wedding.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

What? Manilow!!? How intolerable is that? Is Lamar going to have the ceremony performed by mimes, too?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Spin, could you teach Barry Manilow how to sing the..well, just to sing?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Lamar can compromise on Barry Manilow, cant he Lady? I mean, you could always tell him that Spin would sing the Sh-boom song… and Manilow could shake his booty to it?

@Shra: That sounds fair. Grotesque, but fair.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive