Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I want to propose a….yikes!

January 23, 2011

officials booze combo 490

Blog Guy, I have a question about politicians and alcohol. It seems like officials in other countries have a lot more freedom to drink than ours in the U.S. do.

Yes, it’s just an odd fact of life. Citizens elsewhere seem to be more comfortable seeing their leaders drink.

USA-CHINA/You take Germany. Above, there’s Chancellor Angela Merkel drinking wine, and the German  Agriculture Minister not only drinking beer, but seeming to enjoy it.

By contrast, look at this photo on the right, of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton just holding a glass of wine at a state dinner.

As a typical American, let’s see how  you react.

WHOA! That’s just WRONG!

There, see, your judgmental nature is running away with you.

So now I have another question. What happens to a photographer who takes a photo like that? I mean, when Clinton sees it.

He’s been moved to a safe house and given a whole new identity. He’ll be taking yearbook photos at some high school in Utah or someplace, at least until a Government Death Panel tracks him down.

Top left: German chancellor Angela Merkel (L) and Julia Kloeckner, top candidate for her conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU), drink wine during a new year reception marking the opening of the election campaign for the upcoming state elections for Rhineland- Palatinate in Mainz January 14, 2011. REUTERS/Kai Pfaffenbach

Top right: German Agriculture Minister Ilse Aigner drinks beer at the Bavarian pavilion as she tours the Internationale Gruene Woche IGW (International Green Week) agriculture and food fair on its opening day in Berlin, January 21, 2011.  REUTERS/Thomas Peter

Right: U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton raises her glass for a toast during a State Dinner in honor of China’s President Hu Jintao at the White House in Washington, January 19, 2011. REUTERS/Jim Young

Comments

Ms. Clinton does have some lovely blue eyes,
I’m hoping her gaze is to hypnotize
And sell more U.S. goods to the Chinese.
In which case, waiter, more wine, please!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Oh, now I know why they are badgering you to join the University of Wisconsin’s Alumni, Mr.B…..
that must be becoz of the pics clicked by this photograqpher you speak of!

On the other hand, Hilary seems to be REALLY enjoying her wine, if you know what I mean.. ;)

Did you know that President Nixon practiced drinking before his first trip to China to be ready to drink with Mao Zedong? The Chinese toast with the word gānbēi (干杯, literally “dry glass”). Traditionally one is expected to drain the glass in one swig. During a meal, the visitor is generally expected to drink at least one glass with each person present; sometimes there may be considerable pressure to do this. And it can be considered rude, at least early during the meal, if you do not make a toast every time you take a drink. Gānbēi, gānbēi, gānbēi, gānbēi!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

I’m wondering, Moonshine, if you think for some reason Shra’s taser doesn’t work on weekends?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ooooooh Moonshine… tsk tsk tsk…. you really asked for this you know….
wait for it……. wait for it…
zapppppp!

YEOWWWWW! Ganbei!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Sorry, but you had it coming.

Having said that, you were right on the money. I went to China countless times when I lived in Asia, and each time I had to “practice” drinking for weeks, sometimes months, before-hand.

I’m still practicing, in fact, just in case I need to make a sudden return trip.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

What is happening to Hillary? What is she transforming or morphing or whatever into? It’s hideous! Thankfully she is holding the glass of wine in front of her face to prevent us from seeing her true form and having our retinas burnt out! Oh sweet sweet alcohol we shall be forever indepted to you for saving humanity. Now let’s drink! :D

Who’s making the donught run? Where’s that intern?

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/01/08/guess-i-need-an-intervention/

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

MMMMM….. Beer….

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Ah, yes. A beer. That reminds me, I am still saving up for my Bottle of Guinness Fund. Anyone wishing to contibute, please send donations to Sister Merry Bambi, c/o the Goofy Face Museum and Dougnut Shop. I am sure BG will take care of the funds. Although he did just say he was still in practice. On second thought, never mind!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

The U.S. will be a healthy country when it can watch IKEA commercials on broadcast TV.

Posted by ARJTurgot2 | Report as abusive

That is one frightening picture of Hillary. I want more of what Ms. Ilse is having. I think both photos deserve a place in the museum.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Dave – I’ll drink to that!

Hillary Clinton – destroyer of worlds, harbinger of darkness and … possibly the new boss down here in the underworld after the next election.
Ganbei!