Come to the border for a fling?

January 28, 2011

I love this story. It seems some Mexican smugglers were planning to hurl drugs across the border, using an actual catapult. The Mexican military seized 45 pounds of marijuana and a metal-framed catapult, just south of the Arizona border.

catapult 490

I’m not making this up. The catapult is similar to those used across medieval Europe to fling fire, rocks and rotting corpses into towns under siege.

Considering they are fairly inaccurate, it conjures up endless possibilities in my mind.

USA-MEXICO/CATAPULT“Lonnie, your father and I need to talk to you. We found a huge bag of drugs in your room!”

“I know, Ma! It just crashed through my window, and there wasn’t even anybody out there. It’s like it flew in from the sky!”

“You expect us to believe that, Lonnie? We have no choice but to disinherit you and send you to a religious military school for lying, rotten, troubled youths, to learn some small-town family values.”

And here’s the other thing I can’t get out of my mind. Humans are also commonly smuggled across the border in this area. Do you suppose that was the next part of the smugglers’ plan?

“Mr. Johnson, thank you for choosing Acme Scenic Travel Service. Is your helmet all strapped up? Are you comfy?”

“Good. Now remember, once you’re in the air, make as many cartoon sounds as possible. When you land, face south and hold your arms wide. Your luggage will be along next.”

Top: A seized catapult that Mexican smugglers tried to use to hurl drugs north over the U.S. Border is seen in this undated handout photo. Credit: Reuters/U.S. Customs and Border Protection/Handout

Left: A catapult found near the U.S. border is seen parked in Aguaprieta in the state of Sonora January 27, 2011. REUTERS/Stringer

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the Mythbusters already busted the possibility of catapulting across the border. So tough luck to the poor soul who tries.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yes, Lamar did write the caption. But for all we know their camera might be permanently stuck on that date, so we can’t presume it’s accurate.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Lovely, Spin. Would it be okay if we collect all of your comment haiku poems into a book which we can sell at the Goofy Face Museum gift shop? Lamar could write the foreword.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Isn’t the bottom left a trebuchet instead of a catapult?

Maybe they ought to join the Punkin Chunkin championship to test out their launchers!

–Kent

Posted by kentiler | Report as abusive

Clearly we need to air force to set up a series of Patripot missiles along the border. I’m sure we could keep the cost to under $1billion per mile of fence.

Posted by jpgoldberg | Report as abusive

Watch it, Kent, your post is dangerously close to educational – you even spelled trebuchet correctly!

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

hahaha oh I soo loved this news :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I was just gonna let that be a surprise, Bethy…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Since when is Wile E. Coyote (Super Genius) a drug smuggler? Eh…I guess times are tough for everyone.

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

Aha! I knew the Lobo was a cover-up for this decidedly less intimidating method of drug transportation!

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Read the story this afternoon and am still laughing.

Pizza delivery not so great this way. I just know it would land topping side down.

Say, do you suppose the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shoppe could start a delivery service? A doughnut would be pretty good right now.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Spin, I love Spoon River Anthology. You win free doughnuts for being the first person ever to mention it in this blog.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Doughnut delivery service. Hmmmm … interesting idea. Let me talk to my sister about that.

@69 … put lots of pictures in it for me. Words are so tricky. :-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

[...] the Mexican military seized 45 pounds of marijuana and a metal catapult south of the Arizona border. It seems smugglers were going to use the catapult to fire the cannabis across the [...]

Catapults to the rescue!!!!
i mean, not really, but you know what I mean…
Kent… you seem new… I dont want to drive you away, but I zapp for educational posts… remember this the next time u comment…
I was nothing if not fair!

You’re getting too soft, Shra…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yeah, right, Shra,
Me, I got zapped on the first infraction…NOT Fair. (But you’re right, I DID deserve it.)

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

How about we build a really big one and start using it to send the illegals back to mexico?trhis would save much money in transportation fee’s etc

Posted by Patrick_1552 | Report as abusive

I love a good trebuchet story. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

One of the schools I learned about in Vegas: http://www.hellgate.k12.mt.us/site/defau lt.aspx?PageID=1
I wonder if they use trebuchets or catapaults there?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Lol… Moonshine, I got zapped at my first infraction too…
Seems this Kent fellow got lucky. I say zap him too…and throw the zapper at him from a trebuchet…see I learnt a new word! This definitely calls for a zapping.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Sounds like the perfect addition for the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shoppe, for those who don’t want to exit via the gift store.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

OK OK OK….
Kent.. well, you did teach… and Malteser did learn…
Zapppp!!!

BG, eat your words!

I call foul…

What educational information did Kent provide? He asked a question and provided a link to a lovely website full of smashing pumpkins.

It was BethyB that educated everyone that some thing or other might be spelled correctly, so if someone learned how to spell something zap her. Does a person now have to be careful not to use words other people might not know least they learn something? Is asking educational questions the same as educating? What if the question misleads a person to believe something that is not true? Is the question still educational?

As far as the original question goes, well I could comment on it, but someone might learn something and thus I shall refrain and instead will engange in the noble persuit of hurling pumpkins from tre… er large thingings and watching them smash to bits.

Z.

Posted by Zenock | Report as abusive

Z!!! Wow… someone is angry at the OE Justice system…
It pains me … it seriously does…

Go Zenock! We are kindred spirits. But, since there is a pumpkin shortage herabouts, may I respectfully submit my motto:

“I shall fight and never quit!
Show me a rooftop, and I shall spit!”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Shra:

I heard a quote once that said, with great power comes great zappability or something like that.

Z.