Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Are you man enough for extreme karaoke?

January 31, 2011

karaoke ice 490

Blog Guy, I need some of your famous travel advice. I’m leaving soon on the dream trip of a lifetime, to Asia, and I’m going there for the usual reason.

CHINA/To see the Great Wall? The Forbidden City? Mount Fuji? Angkor Wat?

No! Unlimited karaoke! I hear they have it everywhere over there, but I want to make sure I’m up on the latest developments. I wouldn’t want to embarrass myself while singing in public.

No, God forbid that should happen. You’ll want to read up on Naked Ice Cube Karaoke before you go.

I’ve never heard of that.

It’s the latest thing. After years of regular Karaoke, it just seemed like it wasn’t excruciatingly painful enough, so they’ve embellished it a bit.

These days, karaoke competitors sit in stalls filled chest-high with ice cubes and sing through microphones until only one is left.

karaoke hilton 180Check out these recent photos of the two finalists from a field of 4,200 karaoke enthusiasts, all singing “Country Roads.”

Wait a minute, Blog Guy. They look like they’re in too much pain, even for dudes freezing to death while singing karaoke.

Oh. Didn’t I mention they also have to watch a Paris Hilton fashion show while they sing?

Is that right? You know, I hear Colonial Williamsburg is nice this time of year…

Top: Medical personnel check Chen Kecai as he competes against Jin Songhao in a cold endurance competition on Tianmen Mountain in Zhangjiajie, Hubei province, China, January 3, 2011. The men immersed themselves in ice-filled containers wearing only shorts. Jin won with a time of 120 minutes which surpassed Chen’s 118 minutes. REUTERS/Stringer

Left: Event assistants help Chen Kecai get out of the glass container. REUTERS/Stringer

Right: Paris Hilton presents a creation from Triton’s collection during Sao Paulo Fashion Week Winter 2011 in Sao Paulo January 28, 2011. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker

Comments

And for our Karaoke contest…tonight’s tracks include:

First Qualifying Rounds:
Britney Spears – Break the Ice

Quarter Finals:
Vanilla Ice – Ice Ice Baby

Semi-Finals:
Madonna – Frozen

And for the final round:
Buster Poindexter – Hot Hot Hot!

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Never get ice from a vending machine in China. You just don’t know what, or who, is in there…

Curses, foiled again! I’ll have to get busy with the new roll of aluminum foil I bought and update my wardrobe.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

As the song goes, “The only two things money can’t buy is True Love and Homegrown Tomatoes.” However, Paris Hilton has proven a third – shapely legs. Ugh!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@Malteser, stop, collaborate and listen. Mr. BF. is out wit a brand new OE edition! :p

Poor guy in the second pic, he got it stuck to the glass. No, not his tongue.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I thought that maybe the whole deal was those guys had to sit in the ice and listen to Paris Hilton singing, while staring at her knobbly knees.
Round two was to have consisted of the same, only with the addition of a loop of her ‘acting’ scenes in House of Wax. But the U.N. stepped in, declaring it to be a crime against humanity, so instead they just get re-runs of The Simple Life.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Ahhh, Paris in the spring time. Wait, wrong Paris.

Something about her doesn’t look right. Maybe she needs more donuts.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

The more painful sights of two? Paris without doubt :-|

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I call shenanigans! Those are not ice cubes! They are packed in either popcorn or foam peanuts. Shenanigans!

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Sarabelle, I don’t believe you can say shenanigans in a family blog…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Is that a pool of blood around left hand bloke in the top photo?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Trust you to see the macabre, CG!!
Atleast Paris is doing her “pout”… will give her credit for that…

ifly, i didn’t get your BF comment! Call me a d!tz but sometimes i can’t keep up! hehe

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Malteser, it’s ok there you will get yourself settled in the loop soon enough. :) I call Blog Guy Mr. B. on account of his last name being Basler but then we have come to learn recently that his biological family name is Fekrat. Hence Mr. BF. The family revelation link is below.

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/01/25/the-sound-of-family-getting-clo ser/

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yeah, we should probably avoid calling me BF, pilot, because that’s what Spin uses to refer to her boyfriend, and she had it first.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I agree… How about Mr.Fekrat, Mr.Pilot?
I would actually stick to BG… sounds tres cool! :P

Hmm.. I didn’t think of that.

How about Mr. Basrat then? Mr. Feksler? What if we switch it up and go with Blog Dude? Aw heck, Imma just stick with Mr. B.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

For my money, you deserve to get tased just because you admit you can read Chinese characters.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hey, it’s good money. The trick to winning is to put your eyes out just before Paris starts her show.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I would not! I mean, HE would not!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hahaha… thanks for the BF explanation… after writing my reply I thought it could have been a typo, with F and G being so close on the keyboard…now it’s clear! :)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

I am not tasing Spin, BG.. oh, I mean, Lamar!