Don’t Basque, don’t tell…

February 7, 2011

spanish festival 490

Blog Guy, in the past you’ve criticized Spain for things like bullfighting, the running of the bulls in Pamplona, and that thing where they ride horses through fire. Don’t they have any normal traditions?

festival guy entrails 320Sure. Just a couple of days ago we covered carnival celebrations up in the Basque region, and I’ve been looking at our photos of that.

It appears this is a festival involving the local men, who seem to have very hairy backs.

That sounds a little strange. Are all the guys covered in hair over there?

No, you can see this one dude on the right is covered in animal entrails, instead.

Ewwwwwwww! But that’s as weird as this festival gets?

spanish festival backs 320Yeah, unless you count Rudy, the badly-dressed, ill-tempered, chainsaw-wielding leopard man, who makes an appearance.

Animal entrails? Leopards with chainsaws? Hairy backs? I’ve had acid trips that weren’t this strange. Does Rudy hurt anybody?

I don’t think so. Looks like a van full of the hairy-back local guys arrives just in time.

Okay, so this is yet another bizarre one. But are any animals harmed?

Well, it is Spain. The closing ceremonies may involve torturing panda cubs, but that’s just a guess.

Top: A man wearing a mask carries a chainsaw during carnival celebrations in Zubieta, Spain, February 1, 2011. Locals from the northern Navarran village and neighbouring Ituren, dressed up in bizarre and terrifying costumes, create mayhem and noise to symbolize awakening the earth for the oncoming spring. REUTERS/Vincent West

Right: A man wearing a mask and covered in animal entrails lies on a tree on the ground during carnival celebrations in Zubieta. REUTERS/Vincent West

Left: “Joaldunak” (Carriers of bells) fill up a van on their way to Zubieta. REUTERS/Susana Vera

You know, if those men wore those bells on their front, instead of their backs, didnt wear those furry coats, and were instead women… You would be singing to a different tune…

Why are the dudes in the van wearing ballet shoes?

Posted by I_dont_know_1 | Report as abusive

@Shra: That’s a loonngg condition you put there :P

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@Shra: wearing silky boxers in the cold might have deflated his inflation device.

Hey, do you suppose he uses the chainsaw to trim the hair off their backs?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

But its good for your imagination, isnt it fwd? :D

That’s too much chainsaw for Rudy. I now have my Dad’s chainsaw, which is a little smaller than Rudy’s. I’m knackered with using it after about 30 minutes. I always think of my Dad when I use it, and when I use my Dad’s table saw, which I also now own.

My Dad only weighed about 150 pounds, soaking wet. That man was tougher than a keg of nails! He was still a volunteer firefighter in his 70s. When he had his right hip replaced, he stayed awake and watched the operation on a television monitor!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Shra, the same could be said if they were VS models. Oh was that the point you were trying to make?

The costumes are bizarre for sure but I do not think they could be called terrifying. Dressing up as a two-headed monster with the faces of Rosanne Barr and Rosie O’Donnell would have been much more terrifying.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That’s too much chainsaw for Rudy, for grooming purposes or otherwise. It would get away from him. That’s not good.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

No wonder Rudy is so ill-tempered, someone took the chain off his chainsaw.

A Basque in a mask, after a drink from a flask, lays down during his task.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Onedoor – no, the fleece would be all rip stop and snarl the chain up. You’ve got to skin an animal before you can chainsaw it…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Crowgirl – thanks for setting me straight. And do watch out for the flying bone chips.

Do you suppose the guy covered in animal entrails really needs a mask? I’d stay away from him no matter what his face looked like!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Shra: Ah..you know me so well :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Mr.Pilot, I forget the point I wanted to make… somehow, I didnt really take a good look at the 2nd pic… I am not glad that I did now…

While immensely popular in the United States, the “zombie walk” just didn’t catch on in other countries. Maybe it was the lack of sophisticated make-up and latex effects required for realistic zombie features. Maybe it was the lack of popular zombie movies to inspire such events. But most likely, it was the fact that morons like Leopard-boy above showed up and started disemboweling the bystanders with his real chainsaw, instead of using a fake chainsaw and props….

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

I’m pretty sure that guy in the leopard mask was at a rather strange party at the Overlook Hotel

red rum! red rum! RED RUM!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

3rd Picture: Those are extras from the movie: “Where the wild things are”, to which the article’s headline would be a perfectly good answer.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

I’m guessing Max is the guy from the movie… yeah – probably! :)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

I remember having a headache while watching “Where the wild things are”… now I know why… thanks Spin and Malt…

I would really like to see BG in a badger suit… wont that be fun, folks?

I think I would like to see him be the Badger Mascot in Madison, Wisconsin during college football season…
That would be nice… :D