Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

There were no floats? I didn’t notice!

February 9, 2011

BRAZIL/

Okay, it seems a large fire swept through Rio de Janeiro’s Carnival center this week, “destroying thousands of costumes and floats and throwing preparations for Brazil’s annual festival of hedonism into chaos.

BRAZIL-CARNIVAL/I know this is a serious thing. They work pretty hard all year long on that stuff, and Carnival starts in three weeks.

But COSTUMES? Really?

We have hundreds of photos a year from Brazil’s Carnival, and I can’t use most of them here because I don’t have enough of those expensive protective rectangles to cover the stuff that needs covering to protect my readers. Now suddenly we’re acting like the wardrobe from “Cats” went up in flames?

I’m trying to imagine the emotional conversations with the samba dancers this week.

“Oh, Nancy! I’m so sorry to tell you, but your Carnival costume was destroyed in the fire! You’re out of the parade.”

“Out? But I was supposed to dance stark naked, with just a peacock feather in my hair and a string of rhinestones hanging from my navel!”

BRAZIL/“I know, Nancy! We could never duplicate such a detailed costume in time for Carnival!”

“Oh, please! Try!  Can’t we just repair the string?”

You see what I mean? Does that sound like a disaster in the making?

You Carnival organizers need a reality check. I don’t care what kind of fancy floats and headdresses you lost in the fire, you don’t have a problem. Just call in the dancers and start the parade.

If you won’t take my word for it, I can round up more guys to back me up on this.

Top: People watch as smoke billows from a fire raging through warehouses of a samba school, where floats, costumes and props of the Rio Carnival are made and kept, in Samba City, Rio de Janeiro, February 7, 2011. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes

Left: A Carnival reveler from the Sao Clemente samba school dances during the first night of parades by the top samba groups in Rio de Janeiro’s Sambadrome, February 3, 2008. REUTERS/Sergio Moraes

Right: A reveler parades for Tom Maior samba school during Carnival in Sao Paulo, February 13, 2010. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker

Comments

You know, BG, what cannot be seen, is more sought after…

If I really work my imagination I can almost mold those rectangles into more desirable shapes. I have almost molded the two rectangles in the top pic into two circles and a triangle. Almost. Luckily those two models are most certainly not dudes.

Wait..what about a fire?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Who needs the expense of so many navel jewels? Why a bsg of mini marshmallows and they’d all have something for their navel. No need to worry about hard edges against their skin. And one size fits all! Just squish the marshmallow to fit!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Well, I think this is the year when I am going to the Rio Carnival… if previously the costumes were puny, now many have burnt… well, you catch my drift.
I know, I know… NUUUUURSE!!!

Posted by justM | Report as abusive

You know what they say, BG: “Whatever floats your boat.”

Dang, I didn’t know those rectangles were so expensive. Have you tried the discount store for triangles?

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Thanks, skeres. It’s not so much the cost of the geometric censorship shapes themselves, although they’re not cheap.

It’s also the fact that they are very labor intensive. It takes my staff artist hours to censor just one photo. Honestly, I can’t figure what takes him so long.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hmm, in order to generate revenue, you could get Google to sell appropriate advertising on the rectangles.
For example, the upper rectangle could be a KFC banner, and the lower one could be from Veet.

Just a question, are the transparent rectangles any cheaper?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Very delicate of you, BG, to have splashed us with fancy salmon rectangles, instead of the run-of-the-mill white ones.

Posted by grok | Report as abusive

Grrrrrrr. Rectangles. I agree with @ifly – circles and triangles – much better. @Nosmo has an even better plan. Do you need donations for the transparent ones? How about you hire a new artist? I’ll work for cheap.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Hmmmm. Transparent ones. That’s a good idea, but somehow I sense I’m being tricked. I need to talk to Lamar about this.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Lamar would agree with the boys, BG..
If only you remember that you have women folk on your commentating list too….

I prefer the Portuguese spelling — carnaval — better. There’s something more . . . [I'll leave that word to your imagination.] about the Portuguese spelling.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hmm… I always knew their costumes were hot, now they’re sizzling hot, what with the fire accident and all…

Such carnival parades are a potential cure for riots such as those in …wait…I might get zapped. I don’t need an example anyway – I guess such a parade can be a riot stopper anytime.

BG – I bet your designer was attempting to recreate the costume on the photo, you know, to make them a bit more appropriate for a family-blog.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Doc: Lady to the rescue. The word you were looking for re the favoured Portuguese spelling is “titilating.” “Lubriciously titilating”. You’re welcome.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Does the word taser mean nothing to you guys?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Damn censor board… now I have use my imagination ;-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@lady: Good one! The Portuguese carnal atmosphere does appear titilating with or without salmon bars or belly gems. Hey! At a Salmon Bar, do they Tuna for One Happy Hours?

BG: This is all well and good for the boys; but when will you provide something for those of us belonging to the feminine gender (and not shopping for belly jewels)?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I don’t understand, Onedoor. I thought both men and women enjoyed well-crafted humor…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Oh, I do so like your crafty humor. And I am sure the guys are enjoying the connect the dots craft in their imagination. You know, somedays my poor ol’ brain gets tired of figuring out all of those big ol’ words. Pictures would be nice on those days:)

Now, where is my marshmallow? I’ve got some dancin’ to do! Just got a note from a Portuguese Pirate who wants to go to Memphis to play the blues. I could go as a merry wench if I’ll wear my pink suede shoes. And marshmallow. LOL! Shucks, I’ll probably stay home…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Go ahead Mr. B., educate us on the meaning of the word taser.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Nice try, but I have an assistant who handles our education program…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well, taking a cue from the gentlemen (and I use that term lightly) in the comments, I used the power of my imagination to mold the censor bars into more desirable shapes. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to imagine a salmon colored puppy dog…and I would certainly never own a salmon colored revolver. Next time, please allow ME to process the graphics with more interesting censorship.

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

@Mr B: Yes, even the ladies enjoy your… well,let’s say “crafted”, um, humour.
I love punctuation almost as much as Lamar.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

You are muddling everyone’s brains with this one, BG… Seriously, “Lubriciously titilating” ????????????

Lubriciously titilating: Performance of scheduled maintenance on the Tilt-A-Whirl at the carnival, involving lubrication of gears and a thorough visual inspection of all working parts prior to operation.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I’m afraid there’s no way around it. LadyLala has taught everyone a new word here, and we know what that means.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I was able to get my mind out of the gutter. If only I could remember where I put it.

@Lady: I honestly tried not to learn anything. Beware the Wrath of Shra. Though it is just a zap of short duration and can be calmed with a doughnut.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

You know Lady, BG’s right… you have to be zapped…
Maybe Lamar can bring you your doughnut later…

Zapppppp!

That would block all entrances and exits leading to and away from the GFM.. Big Security threat there!!

@Spin, really you think so? Compared to all the fashion show models we have been subjected to these Carnaval women look downright curvy! Also because these ladies are actual ladies, not dudes like the other models.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Spin, do you really want little…um… swimmy type creatures who contribute to the creation of human life sticking out of your head as you walk down the aisle?

That’s as politely as I could put it Mr. Spam Filter.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ifly has a point, Spin.

You may want to revisit that bride’s head

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@Spin – I think that wearing only that headpiece at your wedding is a great ides. Think of the money you’ll save on not having to buy an expensive dress. Heck you won’t even need to pay for a photographer, I’m sure there will be hundreds of people taking pictures and posting them online.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@GeorgiaPeach: I suspect your clever reference to “Brideshead Revisited” has been overlooked. Don’t know Waugh’s the matter with us…

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

It’s not too late, Lady. We can always revisit the Brideshead Revisited reference….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive