Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

I say! I did not see you there, mon!

February 13, 2011

IRISH/

Quick quiz: These photos show Britain’s Prince Charles

IRISH/a) giving a soldier a fatherly lecture on the need to wash his hair more than once a year.

b) mistaking a camouflaged sniper for the Cowardly Lion, saying, “I LOVED you in ‘The Wizard of Oz.’”

c) mistaking a camouflaged sniper for a reggae musician, telling him, “Wi gwaan hab a bashment time, mon!”

d) mistaking a camouflaged sniper for actress Helena Bonham Carter, telling her, “I LOVED you in ‘The King’s Speech.”

charles helena 220I’m sorry, this was a trick question. It was e) all of the above. Everybody’s a winner this time.

Top and left: Britain’s Prince Charles speaks with a camouflaged sniper from the Mercian regiment during his visit to their Palace barracks in Belfast, February 4, 2011. REUTERS photos by Cathal McNaughton

Right: Actress Helena Bonham Carter arrives at the Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California January 16, 2011. REUTERS/Danny Moloshok

Comments

Cousin It has a grandson in the military.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Hmmmm, not sure that’s the right camouflage for a “palace barracks”. Perhaps he should dress up as a wardrobe, or an easy chair. THAT’s palace camouflage.

Who the heck is the frizzy haired chick? Never mind, I don’t want to set anyone up to get zapped for teaching us something. *looking around warily for Shra…*

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Dave: Skip going to that funky new “Meat Pie Place” down the road. Instead, get doughnuts with extra sprinkles and watch “Sweeney Todd.”

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

This is avery familiar camouflage joke. Here is my favorite Paratrooper one:

The Pope dies unexpectedly and finds himself at the gates of Heaven at 0300. He knocks on the gate and a very sleepy eyed angel opens the gate and asks, “wadda you want?” “I’m the recently deceased Pope and have done 63 years of Godly works and thought I should check in here.”

The Heaven’s gate watch checks his clipboard and says, “I ain’t got no orders for you here, just bring your stuff and we’ll sort this out in the morning” Off they go to an old W.W.I.I. barracks, 3rd floor, open bay. All the bottom racks are taken and all empty lockers have no doors. The Pope stows his gear under a rack and climbs into an upper bunk.

The next morning he awakens to sounds of cheering and clapping. He goes to the window and sees a shiny convertible coming down from the golden headquarters building on the hill. The sidewalks are lined with Angels cheering and throwing confetti. In the back seat of the convertible is a ole Paratrooper, his Jump Wings shining on his chest, a cigar in his mouth, a can of beer in one hand and his other arm around a beautiful blonde Angel.

This upsets the Pope greatly and he runs downstairs to heaven’s gates and says, “Hey, explain this to me, here I am, the recently deceased Pope, and I have spent 63 years doing Godly deeds on Earth and am here in open bay barracks, and I see this old Paratrooper that I know has committed every sin known to man, staying in the mansion on the hill and getting a hero’s welcome. How can this be?”

St. Peter calmly looks up and says, “We get a Pope up here every 20 or 30 years, but this is the first Paratrooper we’ve ever had.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

“Good day ole chap, I hear you are the best sniper in the Queens country. Right then, there is this ice cream truck that has been eluding me for quite some time now. I am told it has quite the scrumptious butterscotch swirley nut crunch bar and I should very much like to get my hands on it. Do you think you can shoot out it’s tyres next time it drives? There’s a good lad.”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Hey, is that Cam’s sister?

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

Dave, you dont know Helena Bonham Carter????
Jeez… Ok, I seriously love this actress… I find her style funny and eccentric… a bit like moi…

I wonder if Charlie would remember mah man, Lamar… Say BG, youo should have given him better rags to wear.. He was after all with the Prince of Cool…

Prince Charles and his wonderments..

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Prince Chuckles seems a little concerned about the new valet parking attendant at his private club, thinking that mumsy will not be amused if the Rolls gets bullet holes in it.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@inebgreen: Yes, good eyes! ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

@justCAM, inebgreen saw her coming from a kilometer away. It’s a powerful scope.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Charlie’s leaning in for a closer look in the second shot, sure that the sniper is making goofy faces at him under all the camoflage…

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Dave – I think frizzy haired chick has already had a zap!

A man in a ghillie suit once handed me a BB gun and went to hide in my garden in the dusk, having instructed me to try and shoot him. I leaned out of the kitchen window and got him right between the eyes. He wasn’t happy. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Of course he bloody well wasn’t happy, Crow. You were supposed to use the BB gun he handed you, and not your own Sharps carbine….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

What did you do with the body, CG?

@CrowGirl – Why was there a man in a ghillie suit in your house? Or is that an entirely normal thing for your part of the world? Either way – nice shot!

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive