The Fall of the House of Ushers?

February 20, 2011

BRITAIN/

Blog Guy, what’s wrong? You’re looking very puzzled. Disoriented. Confused. Perplexed. Dumbstruck. Flustered. Even more than usual.

usher vertical 180Yes, I’m very bothered by this top photo. The caption says these are ushers at the Royal Opera House, in London.

What bothers you about that?

They’re all seated. Every one of them. Who seats ushers? I mean, is there an ushers’ usher, and why isn’t he still standing?

If they just seated themselves, isn’t that sort of like doctors prescribing their own medication?

And if an usher is somebody who ushes, then why can’t I find ush in the dictionary? And another thing…

Blog Guy, let me stop you for a second.

I’m going to take a wild guess that today is a Sunday in the middle of a three-day weekend. You know nobody will read this, so you just grabbed a photo at random and started typing.

I’ll bet you’re going to slap a lame literary reference  in the headline just for the smart people, and then go out for doughnuts.

Am I right? Blog Guy? You still there?

Royal Opera House ushers wait for their meeting to start on the opening night of the opera based on the life of Anna Nicole Smith, in central London, February 17, 2011. REUTERS/Andrew Winning

An opera based on the life of Anna Nicole Smith? Seriously? Ushers not ushing is not the humor in this post BG. Thanks for reminding me about another three-day weekend I don’t get to spend drowning my brain cells in tasty single-malt… Wait – maybe that’s a good thing.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oddly Enough, cabun. cabun said: [Oddly] The Fall of the House of Ushers? http://reut.rs/fYT9ck [...]

Another three day weekend? I’m jealous. Who’s day is it this time? Are we allowed to teach on such special days, or will I get zapped for sharing that “usher” is from the Middle English word for doorkeeper?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Don’t worry about that, Crow. We’re safe on weekends now that Shra is spending Saturdays and Sundays with her Morris Dancing.

As for whose day it is, I’m not positive but I think it’s yet another holiday marking some war in which we defeated the British. That’s mostly what we celebrate over here.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yeah, yeah. Pesky colonials!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

An opera based on the life of Anna Nicole Smith would explain why the ushers are sitting. There may not be anyone else there to seat. At least the ushers get paid.

Maybe they could rearrange the artwork on the wall in their spare time…

Catch the wind and toss a doughnut this way, BG!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Anna Nicole married an 89 year old soul
His millions were all she could see
13 months after becoming his wife
The inheritance became a source of family strife
The legal battle lasted the rest of her life.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

It’s a shame really. Up until Ms Smith died a bankrupt, I assumed that marrying an aged billionaire was an excellent career move…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

So is Joan Sutherland playing Anna Nicole?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

You did bring back doughnuts for the rest of us right Mr. B.?

If those pics are representations of Anna Nicole Smith then I surmise that those who hung the pics thought the most relevent feature of Ms. Smith was her boobies. A conclusion I do not entirely disagree with.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Some of them are actually cute..

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Morris Dancing??? Me?
All I dance to during the weekend is Zumba!!! Yay!!

CG, you have too many burns on your arms… I feel sorry to zap you, but it must be done!

Well, when you think about it, her life does read a lot like the plot of an opera.
Young, naive girl heads to big city with stars in her eyes. She quickly gets taken advantage of and falls into a life of sin. She meets a wealthy much older man, and realising this is her one chance to break free from a life she despises, she marries him. When he dies, his family, who are all after his money, plot against her and end up denying her a full share of his wealth. She slowly falls back towards her old ways and dies a tragic early death.
Sounds like opera to me.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@jclimacus … Catchy. If you put that to music, you might have a hit!

OD’d on doughnuts over the weekend. DON’T do the green sprinkles.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

d) the University of Wisconsin Alumni Association meeting.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

“The death of a beautiful woman, is unquestionably the most poetical topic in the world.” — Edgar Allen Poe

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Unca, to give credit where it is due, Spinny spun the first Poe pun.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

That, Spin, will effectively solve any case of “The Purloined Pun.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Wow, you will recall from the text of this item that I wrote that headline “just for the smart people.”

Now if some of those would just show up….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I heard a preview of this on the radio earlier in the week. It made my ears bleed.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

Yes, but I’m not sure which dialect.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Spin, think Gene Autry with an Italian accent.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Hmmm. I had a strange dream last night about Roy Rogers, that a big mountain lion had run off with Roy Rogers’s new pair of boots, that Roy tracked the cat down and caught it. Very strange dream. When Roy caught the lion, Gene Autry was there, and he sang: “Pardon me, Roy. Is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

an even scarier question: were you in the mood? Did Mrs. Doc get a moonlight serenade?

never mind. Some questions are best left unanswered.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

No moonlight serenade, Georgia. Where I come from, there is something called a “Moonville Serenade.” It involves a tunnel.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Spin, what’s TMI about a ghost town (named Moonville) with a tunnel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonville,_ Ohio

Now, if I told you about the time in high school that I took a date to Buck Cemetery (in Defiance County, Ohio), that would be TMI. But I won’t tell you about that. No, sir!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive