The cigarettes are in the cabinet?

February 21, 2011

smoking minister 490

Quick quiz: The politician puffing away in this photo is…

smoking canadian 260a) Going to be grounded if her mom catches her smoking again…

b) Not likely to be the first stop on “Take Your Child to Parliament Day”

c) The star of a one-woman stage tribute to legendary musician Roy Orbison

d) A senior Canadian cabinet minister

Congratulations if you guessed d). She is the International Cooperation Minister for Canada. Really.

“You’ve been a valuable member of the party, and we want to offer you a big title. Would you like to be the finance minister, the defense minister, the…”

roy orbison 220“Uh, do you have a ministry that comes with frequent cigarette breaks, please?”

Top and right: Canada’s International Cooperation Minister Bev Oda smokes a cigarette on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, February 16, 2011. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

Left: Roy Orbison

Holy crap! Before I scrolled and saw the caption, I thought that was her in the photo with the gee-tar. Dead ringer.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

You did this blog, coz its a holiday in the US and you know hardly anyone would read… didnt you?

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by robert basler and Oddly Enough, cabun. cabun said: [Oddly] The cigarettes are in the cabinet? http://reut.rs/hCmbCo [...]

Oh. My. Gosh. The similarity to Roy Orbison is eerie!! Makes you wanna start believing in reincarnation!

If that’s the case..then when I die I wanna come back as Baz.

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Worried about the outcome of the next election, Ms Oda went to see her clairvoyant and asked to see a glimpse of her future. The clairvoyant’s instructions were to get a wig, dark glasses, a cigarette, a bottle of cheap booze wrapped in a brown paper bag, and a tin cup. She told Ms Oda to stand outside Parliament for the whole day, then call her. At the end of the day, after following the instructions she had been given,Ms. Oda asked when she would see what her future life would look like, her clairvoyant replied “Honey, you just been livin it for the past eight hours”.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Nosmo: Did she make any money? Are the position and her cup still available? Are there any doughnuts involved?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I’ve always wondered what an International Cooperation Minister looks like. My, what an informative blog this is! ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Woo, I thought everyone knows that smoking gives you a bad Oda.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Sarabelle, shouldn’t you be out rioting in the place where you live, which I won’t mention here?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Onedoor, as true to most politicians, at the end of the day she owed over $1 Trillion. The role may be available soon and skills required include – being bi-lingual, able to stand on street corners looking tragic while clad entirely in black smoking a cigarette, forging official documents for personal gain, can quote the works of Balzac, Cocteau and Sartre at the drop of a beret.
No doughnuts but I hear the Kobe Beef burgers were fabulous.

I was looking at her picture and trying to work out if she looked more like Johnny Cash. It’s a pretty close call.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Nosmo: well, those are some high standards! If Gibberish counts, I am in for the second language and do like black. The cigarettes and quotes, alas, leave me out of the competition.

Hmmm. Maybe she should change careers and become a celebrity look alike! She could be Orbison or Cash, instead of her current cash and carry (in a cup).

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Amazing actor…I mean politician ;-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

BG, I’m waiting for the last bit of glitter glue dry on my sign before I head out to brave the masses. Free Hat!!

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

I thought it was Rosanne Barr…..

Posted by hollie.wolf1 | Report as abusive

Think Roy O wuld roll in his grave if he found out that a woman was impersonating him??

@69 … You found her out! Yes, that was my sister handing out flyers for the UW Alumni Association. She also ran an advert in that great Canadian mag, The Beaver.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

A magazine which, as we know, has changed its name…
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 10/01/13/honey-did-my-beaver-come-in-the -mail/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive