Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Merlot on the go?

March 1, 2011

BELARUS/

Blog Guy, like many of your readers I’m looking for a new and interesting career. I like to drive, I like retail work, and I enjoy making people happy. Any ideas?

I may have just the thing. How would you like to drive a van around and stop to sell wine to people?

That could be fun. Folks must be happy to see the Wine Mobile arrive, right?

Exactly! Sort of the Good Humor man for grown-ups!BELARUS/

Where would I drive this Wine Mobile?

You know, the usual places. Indianapolis, Kokomo, Evansville, Chernobyl…

Um back up a minute. Chernobyl? Where they had the world’s worst nuclear accident?

Yes, I believe you’re right, but you don’t have to go INTO Chernobyl, you just go to the almost-abandoned villages near what they call the “exclusion zone.”

It looks kind of bleak there. Wouldn’t I need some bright lights on the van to give off a glow so they can see me coming?

In Chernobyl? I wouldn’t worry about it.

Top: A man buys a bottle of wine from a mobile shop in the almost abandoned village of Rudnoe, near the exclusion zone around the Chernobyl nuclear reactor, February 22, 2011. Belarus, Ukraine and Russia will mark the 25th anniversary of the nuclear reactor explosion in Chernobyl, the place where the world’s worst civil nuclear accident took place, on April 26.

Belarussian villagers gather at a mobile shop in the almost abandoned village of Novosiolki, near the exclusion zone.

REUTERS photos by Vasily Fedosenko

Comments

Ahhh, those crazy Russkies. I’m still on for a field trip to Krasnoryak. Who’s with me?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Dave: Not me, sorry, Russia is too cold.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Krasnoryak: mutant, er, hairy Russian bovine bred in Chernobyl?

Krasnoryak Trip! Don’t speak the language, don’t know what the heck is going on? The perfect trip, as I’d fit right in!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I could tag along… what if one of these mobile shops bring me some really nice shoe-boots?!!

ROAD TRIP!!!! Fire up the CHOP…. ooops, old thread.

I meant to say crank up the Chopin. Yeah, that’s it. I’m a big Chopin fan.

Unca! Pass me a swizzle stick! ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

When you’re too drunk to even crawl, they’ll come to you. What a lovely service oriented idea.

and the belt on that coat is FABULOUS! Accessories really do make the ensemble.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

what is the recommended wine for a radioactive meal…aged Mt Dew? At least the color would be right.

Maybe they make a Mt Dew wine spritzer. YUCK

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

“Calling the town “almost abandoned” is so pessimistic. How about saying it’s “nearly inhabited” instead? That might be a little more catchy on the brochures.”

yes, Pilot. And once the Wine-A-Bago leaves, the town can be described as “nearly inebriated” ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Holy crap, Georgia! Wine-A-Bago? You’re ahead of everybody for Comment of the Month. Of course, it’s only March 1, but still…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

The ONLY drink for a radioactive meal is Code Red!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Wine-A-Bago! Perfect name for the perfect vehicle for an OE road trip to Krasnoryak!
My uncle’s RV has outside beer taps, but this idea really kicks!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Oh wow, it just dawned on me – the guy with the bottle looks happier and better nourished than the runway models.

Posted by ARJTurgot2 | Report as abusive

ARJ, briiliant observation!!!
We need to get the models on the Wine-A-Bago immediately for health reasons!! :D

@GeorgiaPeach, trademark “Wine-A-Bago”! Mr. B., buy the trademarks rights from GeorgiaPeach and start a delivery service for the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Shra

Just for you
http://www.thefryecompany.com//Women-Boo ts.aspx

Posted by ARJTurgot2 | Report as abusive

BG, brilliant conclusion with the glow comment… loved it.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

ARJ, you are my new best friend… you are! You truly are!!

Thanks, Malteser… Pinot with a glow…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

The problem you will find with Frye’s is they last, and will reduce the need to get new ones. I’ve had a pair of their harness types since I got out of basic training in the early ’70′s. Yes, I got them after – wait for it – boot camp.

Posted by ARJTurgot2 | Report as abusive

@ARJ – you must be a male. Otherwise you would understand that there is absolutely no connection between durability of the shoes one has and a reduced need for new ones :D

@Shra – wearing my favorite Via Spiga open-toed stilettos today. ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

oooooo!!! You gotta send me a pic, Georgia… you gotta!!!
ARJ, I do wear durable and comfortable shoes, but that doesnt stop me from going ahead and buying something I find incredibly gorgeous..
Somehow, I dont think the folks of Rudnoe care mucho about shoes..

BG, you can rhyme too!

“Merlot on the go”
“Pinot with a glow?”

What’s next, a haiku?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

There was a time when I wouldnt try wine..
not even with friends, when we sat to dine..
Then one fine days, someone poured me a Proseco..
and I sipped, the taste pleasing me mucho!

So, I think, when we board the wine-a-bago…
we definitely have to carry this precious cargo..
and bring it to the nearly inhabited village
near Chernobyl, so they dont feel the embargo…