Honk! Here comes the Muammar car!

March 5, 2011

LIBYA/GADDAFI

As a highly paid political consultant, it irritates the heck out of me when clients ignore my advice.

gaddafi vertical 200What is Blog Guy’s first rule for politicians when they’re out in public?

Do NOT let them drive a car! It doesn’t give them the common touch, it doesn’t make them look macho, it just makes them appear truly goofy.

But it gets worse.

If you’re Muammar Gaddafi with a huge popular revolt on your hands, your minders should NOT let you drive a go-kart thingy with the label “Club Car” emblazoned across the front.

I mean, look at this. The guy isn’t even sitting right behind the wheel. It looks like he’s at Disneyland, about to take off on “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.”

toad 160Let’s all just supply our own classic cartoon sound effects for the photo, okay?

“HONK HONK! Hold on tight, Jimmy! Here we gooooooooo!”

Top and right: Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi drives his personal cart in Tripoli after making a speech which he sought to defuse tensions after more than 10 days of anti-government protests in Libya, March 2, 2011. REUTERS/Ahmed Jadallah

The two guys in front are all “go this way.” “No, go this way.” “No, I’m wearing the stylish body armor, and I say go THIS way.” And in the bottom pic, Muammar is just ticked they can’t make up their minds. Fist of rage. Loses all meaning when you are riding in a golf cart. I mean, what self-respecting tyrant rides around in a golf cart?

Whatevs. In the ground is where he needs to go. Where is his pal Hugo anyway? Maybe he was driving, and jumped out.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

To the batty cave, Robin!

Posted by T54 | Report as abusive

My thoughts exactly, Dave. I don’t know why they don’t put him on a Segway and get it over with.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

“Muammar mobile”?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Oooh, wonderful cartoon sounds!
“Mbeep, mbeep!” a split second before the Acme Anvil crashes through the roof of the club car.

The Muammar’s Parade? Shouldn’t those guys around the car be scantily dressed and waving big feather fans around?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I think he whacked his infidel driver, pushed him out, and that is why he is now driving from the other side now. Wait, does one “drive” a golf cart? I must agree, put him on a Segway and let him Segway himself out of there. Meep meep!

Posted by vwgal | Report as abusive

Give the guy a break. It’s very hard to drive when you’re wrapped up in a sheet…

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Is that a golf cart with a bullet proof windscreen? Classy!

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

tik tik wheeez thssss tik tik wheez Dang it! driver push faster you imbecile! tik tik tik wheeez wheez tik tik tik wheez Driver i am really angry i am raising my fist of displeasure. tik tik tik tik wheeez that is better we have caught up to the security.. brrrp phhhht oooops that one was me too much cuscus and tangerine goat. Driver to the royal WC as fast as you can!!!!!

Posted by Wheelz2 | Report as abusive

@T54, ha ha good one! :)

Why is “Club Car” in english? That just seems a little too convenient to me.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Hey, if that thing has four-wheel drive, send it on down here so I can get around the busted-up streets of Christchurch without worrying about disappearing down a sink hole.
Actually, thinking about it, send Gadaffi as well, as I’m fairly certain that no-one would mind too much if he were to become road fill. At least he would finally be of some use to someone.
Big news today down here – we have Power! And water! And Internet (obviously).
We no longer need food, but we are still taking cash or credit cards.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Great to hear fromyou Nosmo!!! Hang in there, pal! I mean,from solid structure and not the edge of a sink hole…
As for Gaddafi…well, the less said the better… I mean, “the protestors are cockroaches”????
Yes, he would do better as landfill…
Whose got the shovel???

Right,marmalade sandwiches for me,followed by medi-donuts!

Don’t worry, Nosmo. Bob’s credit information is coming your way! Stay safe, my friend.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

All the best, Nosmo. Good to hear from you.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Given the current state of affairs in Libya, “club car” could be something the people do.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

@Nosmo, uh dude….four wheel drive isn’t gonna save you from sink holes. Hell I think even Jeep has a disclaimer stating “Even sink holes in the busted-up streets of Christchurch are a little out of our league.” What you need is a flying DeLorean and we will get right on getting one to you. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thanks for that guys.
Ooooh! A flying car – good plan. Or how about a jetpack? There’s actually a company here that makes and sells them. No kidding, for only $15k you can join the space age.
Umm, Mr B? We may need to talk about certain charges that may appear on your credit card – but it’s all on your generous Reuters expense account, right?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Uh, Mr. B, your credit card company has informed me that you’re over your limit.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Libyan leader in a golf cart or a King in a DeLorean? Nosmo_King wins! Doughnuts for everyone and continued prayers for the people in Christchurch.

Um, it is the OE blog, Nosmo. We kinda are in the space age. Or is it that we’re space cadets? What everrrrrr…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

If only he’d listened to RB, world would’ve been a far better place :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Where’s the retinue of Amazons? Did he have to let them go, or did they jump ship?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Rats jump ship, Jazz… Amazons, well, they cut the ship down to small boats and sail away…

I wonder if Gaddafi is listening to Gnarls Barkley?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@Spin – yes :D

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

They were going to have Muammar ride a bicycle, but they couldn’t find the training wheels.

Previous there was a chimp driving the “Club Car,” but someone threw a banana and he left for greener pasture.

This was actually a picture of Muammar readying himself for the drivers test.

Is that Disneyland I see in the background?

Posted by Csoap | Report as abusive

Yes, you do, Csoap.. that is indeed Disneyland in the background…
Somebody get Csoap the doughnuts… Stat!!