Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Is the cavalry back with those doughnuts?

March 25, 2011

BRITAIN/

EMILY! How is our checking account overdrawn? What the hell did you buy?

Shut your cake hole, Herb! That stuff is for household expenses, every bit of it. Maybe you need to get a raise down at the plant!

BRITAIN/Let me just see that budget, Emily. Food, gasoline, rent, cavalry, medical… Wait just a minute. Cavalry, $2.4 million for February? But what do they DO?

Well, Mr. Potato Head, when Clancy across the street borrows our lawn mower and won’t return it, we send the Household Cavalry thundering over to his place to bring it back.

BRITAIN/When you need jelly doughnuts at 3 a.m., who finds an all-night diner? The Household Cavalry!

When it’s your birthday, who do you think puts on that big parade in the driveway, the Kiwanis Club? No. The Household Cavalry!

Look, there’s horses, uniforms, sabers, daffodils…

Okay, okay, if the neighbors have ‘em then I guess we need ‘em too. But $2.4 million per month?

February was short, Big Spender. Brace¬†yourself for $3 million in March. And it’s YOUR turn to clean the stables!

Top and left: Members of The Household Cavalry Mounted Regiment ride along The Mall in central London March 24, 2011. REUTERS/Toby Melville

Right: Troops from the Household Cavalry carry the Colour up the Mall after attending the Trooping the Colour ceremony in London June 12, 2010. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett

Comments

Wait – the British still have real live horse cavalry? That’s so, 1800′s.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

I believe it’s in case they need to take the Khyber Pass again…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Dave, either that or it’s some very intensive LARPING. (Live Action Role Playing in case Mr. Spam Filter is not aware.)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thanks, ifly. Mr. Spam Filter would have been confused by Larping, although I believe Crow may have used it in the past. He’s not much into Woot, either…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well, at $2.4MM per month, I’m going to have to make some serious cuts. How about I just rent out one flag?

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Now we know why that chick carries so many bags.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/03/21/tired-of-rooting-through-your-p urse-girls/

Wonder who carries the shovel?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I know! Use the Household Cavalry to make doughnut deliveries from the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shoppe! Just imagine what folks would pay to get an emergency medidoughnut delivered personally by a knight in shining armor, or a cavalryman in shining curasse, as the case may be. It could be the pony express of doughnuts!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

If the cavalry is delivering mini-doughnuts, would that make them horse d’oeuvres?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I always think “Trooping the Colour” sounds like a really dodgy euphemism…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

To whom it may concern;

I have come to the realization that the people at the local home for the mentally handicapped would be better off (and me, too), if I helped them more than I am currently doing, rather than trying to input my mostly garbled thoughts in here all of the time.

Oh, and Buzkashi is The Sport of the Khans, using a formerly living goat as the puck(?) for playing polo! Horse back fun, at all costs!

Sorry to Dave and his lovely cave pet, Miss Goaty!

I will check in, now and then.

Just to be fair and to not fall out of touch:

My email is uncarastus@gmail.com

Mr B, thank you so much for allowing this one off thing, and thank you so much for letting me spout off, ad nauseum, for the past couple of years! I don’t think that I would have made it through the past year, especially, without this blog and your very tried patience!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Looking at the pictures, all the horses seem to be exactly the same and all the dudes are wearing exactly the same cape.
And when you say ‘sabers’ I presume you aren’t talking about the light variety?
‘Cause if you were, that would be cool.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@one – Brilliant! I always thought horse d’oeuvres were the little things horses left behind.

@Crowgirl – don’t ask, and all that….

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

I don’t see the problem being “so 1800s” as there is not much to speak about 2000s apart from doom and booms :-|

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Unca, I hope we’ll see you more than “now and then.” You’ve become my surrogate former DI. Through the years of therapy following bootcamp, I came to realize that my DI was the way he was because he had a heart of pure gold. I see that in you, too.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Unca, do take care! There will always be a spot on the bench for you. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Unca: room for you and the hippo, too! Say, does the hippo deliver doughnuts?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Keep in touch Unca. The whole OE community will miss you (but with enough donuts, we’ll muddle through.) Please come back more that now and then.

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

“Basler Street” is like “Sesame Street” for adults with the open hearts of children. All that is asked is that you play nicely with one another and enjoy a good laugh. Instead of a big yellow bird, we were graced with a dancing hippo that I hope will be back to play with all the kids on the street. Wishing all the kids love and laughter.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Unca, we are here when you need us… so, if you need a laugh, you know where you will get it for sure…

Thats a wonderful thing, isnt it?… we know for sure, that this is a place where we can all laugh and be goofy, no matter what…
I wonder how many people have that…

Monday glazed and topped doughnuts for one and all!!!

All the best Unca, haven’t been here since much but always loved the comments. Take care!

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Unca, I don’t know about the “ad nauseum” part. I for one have always looked forward to reading your posts. Do keep in touch.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive