Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Different spokes for different folks?

March 26, 2011

CYCLING/

Blog Guy, I have a question about bicycle racing. I saw pictures recently where it looked like the tires the racers were using didn’t even have any spokes. Is that possible?

bike tires 320Yeah, maybe. Anything’s possible.

Really? That’s your answer? Where did you get such detailed, elaborate information?

From a spokesman.

Oh. I can’t argue with that, then.

Yes, you spoke too soon.

So what specific sort of race are these folks competing in, then?

This is the Slouching Bad Boys Solid Wheel Poor Posture qualifying race, designed for men who ignored their parents’ warnings to “Sit up straight and get your elbows off the table.”

I had no idea rebels like that were even allowed in organized sports.

Stay tuned for the next event, for punks who run with scissors and take a slice of bread out of a toaster with a metal knife.

Top: The Netherlands competes during the Men’s Team Pursuit qualifying race at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships in Apeldoorn March 23, 2011.

Left: Team France competes during the qualifying race.

REUTERS photos by Jerry Lampen

Comments

Organized sports for rebels sounds like organized rebellion to me. A lot like the news, too.

I plan to take my slice of bread out of the toaster with scissors; and run with the doughnuts! Tastier, cleaner and less dangerous than running with the bulls.

Say, do those bad boys do doughnut delivery? A Spoke and Sprinkle Team!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I can’t wait for it to get warm here so that I can get the bicycle out of the garage, ride across the covered bridge down the road, through the wildwood preserve, and onto the bike trail. I’m quite the rebel. As soon as I get away from home where Mrs. Doc can’t see me, I ditch the helmet.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

They must really be afraid of their wives to wear those helmets! Uh, WOS…. Of course, I ALWAYS wear my helmet.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

The two blue dude’s bikes say “look” on the frame. To what, I wonder, are we being instructed to look at?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I remember going to the velodrome in 1996 for the Paralympic cycling events…AWESOME!!! I love the sound of a large group of cyclists speeding past.

if you ever get a chance to attend a paralympic event, GO. When the games were in Atlanta, our ticket package included passes to 2 paralympic events for every olympic ticket purchase. All of the events were great, but the paralympic athletes were absolutely amazing.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

The French bikes have ‘Look’ on them because they are actually French military surplus, and hence have as many reverse gears as forward. So you really need to look to determine which way they are going.
I wonder where they hold the cheese?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

HA! Good one, Nosmo. You are too funny. :D

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Nosmo, the French may often go backwards, but they do it with elan!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Well, if LOOK is spelled backwards, it spells KOOL…
And they do look kinda cool… :D

Guess what – those are bespoke bikes there.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive