Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Dispensing with Kate Middleton

March 30, 2011

pez faces 490

Blog Guy, now that Prince William’s royal wedding is less than a month away, what’s the strangest souvenir you’ve seen so far?

AUSTRIA/That would be this set of PEZ dispensers, one of which features the prince. The candy comes out where it usually does, I guess.

Who’s that female person on the other dispenser?

Um, that looks like Morticia, from the Addams Family, with a mouthful of mashed potatoes she hasn’t swallowed yet, and….

You’re a total moron, Blog Guy. According to your own photo caption below, that’s William’s fiancée, the wonderful Kate Middleton.

No way! It’s Morticia Addams with the potatoes…

pez combo 300Sigh. So do you know what flavors the royal wedding PEZ candies come in?

I would imagine traditional British dishes. Spotted dick, chip butty, toad in the hole, mushy peas and of course bangers and mash.

My God! You really think candy could taste like bangers and mash?

I don’t know, but it would certainly explain those potatoes Morticia refuses to swallow.

Top and right: A set of commemorative Pez dispensers, to celebrate the wedding of Britain’s Prince William and Kate Middleton, is seen in this handout photograph distributed by the company March 29, 2011. The dispensers will be auctioned on the Internet to raise money for a charity determined by the couple. REUTERS/PEZ AG/Handout

Lower left: Kate Middleton in Belfast, Northern Ireland, March 8, 2011. REUTERS/Niall Carson/Pool

Comments

With the dark hair and blue dress, it could have been Monica Lewinski with a mouthful of…
GAH! I hate it when I get struck by lightning early in the day. Mashed potatoes, I am sure that is what I was going to say,

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Apart from the hair colour, the dispenser looks eerily like her.
I am disappointed that there is no ‘fish & chips’ or ‘curry & chips’ dispenser.
My favorite dispenser is still the Margaret Thatcher vinegar one.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

let me guess…just $249.95 from your good friends at Williams-Sonoma, right?

a bargain at twice the price, I say!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Looks more like Nigella Lawson than Kate.

Posted by knit_nurse | Report as abusive

@One! You seriously have me laughing out loud! That’s gotta be the comment of the month, if not the year.

I’ll pass on the Pez, particularly the Princely Pez.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

I’ll second that, DnD. Methinks she’ll need a royal tissue. ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Shennanigans! I declare shennanigans against Pez! The candy ALWAYS comes out of the neck! I don’t want to hear any drivel about “royalty” and “respect” and whatnot, if the candy don’t come out from the neck then it ain’t a true Pez dispenser. Commemorative my bummy bum bum. Bleh.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

First, it’s always nice to have another picture of Kate.

As for the dispenser, I’m not sure about Morticia. I think it looks more like Katy Perry.

Mashed potatoes, indeed.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

knit_nurse: I didn’t know Nigella before your post but I have to say now that the similarity is striking.

onedoor: pez off to that comment!

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

But what about us poor people? Don’t we deserve royal Pez, too? I say somebody needs to make a cheap knockoff for the rest of us!

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Aha! finally something to put in my Kate shrine! :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@Peach – Don’t worry, it IS twice the price. If you look at the fine print in the catalog, the price is $249.95 EACH. The commemorative gift box is extra, of course!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Malt, I am actually surprised you didnt know about Nigella… She’s umm.. pretty well known, you know…
Fwd, you are really making a Kate shrine? My oh my!

…just catching up from yesterday. (Don’t you just HATE it when WORK gets in the way of your OE Blog time?)
@Onedoor: You absolutely made my day. That’s my nomination for blog of the month for sure!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

I don’t know, Moonshine. I’ve never experienced work getting in the way of my OE Blog time…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Kate’s Pez dispenser looks like Michael Jackson, IMO. I mean Michael at cosmetic surgery #499; that 500th nose job and all the subsequent plastic surgeries just made Michael look inhuman.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive