Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

And this is from my dumbass collection…

April 7, 2011

Blog Guy, recently you wrote about an upcoming auction where they were going to sell a rare signed photo of the outlaw Jesse James for an expected $20,000 to $30,000. When is that auction?

pope alexander 240It’s over. It was this week, and they had autographs of Somerset Maugham, Pope Alexander VII…

So you’d say the auction was kind of a Maugham and Pope operation? Get it?

No, I would only say something that outrageous if I wanted readers to switch immediately to another blog.

Sorry. Did the stuff sell for a lot of money?

Less than I would have thought. A book signed by Maugham, a great writer, went for $427 and one signed by Walt Whitman, a great poet, went for $1,098.

A letter signed by Henry Clay, a great statesman, went for $146, and an autograph of Helen Keller, a great inspiration, went for $488.

jesse james 240And you said they had Pope Alexander VII’s autograph?

Yep, signed in 1654. Nobody even bought it.

Wow! Very tough crowd, huh? Too bad for the seller of that Jesse James autograph, huh?

Oh, right. The autograph of Jesse James, a great dumbass, sold for $51,240.

Kids, listen carefully to the Blog Guy. If you’re thinking about a career, you just can’t beat dumbass. Talk to your guidance counselor, today.

Top right: Pope Alexander VII

Bottom right: Jesse James autograph, photo courtesy of Leslie HindmanAuctioneers

Comments

BG…I’m speechless, is it really time to “go for a kill” ?? :(

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I have been dumbassing for years now. I should probably starting carrying around a couple of six-shooters and asking people when they reckon the 4:10 to Yuma be coming around if I wanna build my IRA. Gotta think about retirement!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

That’s the story of your life, ifly… An hour late for the 3:10 to Yuma…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Spin: Now *you’re* pandering to Kate’s Krowd? ;)

The Whitman book probably would have fetched a lot more in 1998, though. Timing!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

As I understand it, that one was an assortment of his poems, entitled “Whitman Sampler…”

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Like I said Mr. B., dumbassing for years. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

afufuauwuw …awudusiis… pisllds…

[never mind me, i'm practising. in a few years, this post will be worth hundreds of dollars. or so I hope].

afufua…

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Once after high school football practice, my brother Jeff walked by while I was sitting on the bench in the locker room tryiing to find the strength to take off my shoulder pads. Without even looking at me, he said “Dumbass!” To this day, I have no idea what that was about.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

‘Whitman sampler’, that’s a good one.
Are you sure the buyer didn’t get confused between Walt Whitman and Walt Disney?

I have a DVD that I got autographed by Charlie Sheen a couple of years ago. Do you think I can look forward to a Jesse James-like price for this when it goes up for auction?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Am I the only one wanting to ask something really inappropriate about the Helen Keller autograph?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nosmo: have you disinfected the Sheen DVD, or tried playing it backwards?

I was delighted to receive an autographed copy of a Dean Koontz book. Then I managed to horrify the person who gave it to me by telling them I planned to read it. What is the point of having a book if you can’t read it?

BG: Like the Whitman Sampler line!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Hey, Nosmo! I think Charlie may have played his own DVD backwards and thought it was “Men Have To.”

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Nosmo, you are sitting on your retirement fund with that DVD…. Hoooooooooold on!!!