Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The worst wax job in the world?

April 13, 2011

wax top 490

Blog Guy, I need to make use of your legendary travel advice. I really enjoy visiting bad wax museums, but I fear I’ve exhausted the list.

Bad? I think that pretty much describes all wax museums.

wax iran hitler 340Nonsense, some are much worse than others. Have you been to Lonnie’s House of Wax, in Beech Grove, Indiana? Their latest figure is either Mamie Eisenhower or Justin Bieber, you take your pick.

Okay, I guess you have a point. Have you been to the one in Tehran?

No! They have a bad wax museum?

Awful. How’s this for what appears to be a World War II tableau? Adolf Hitler, Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt and, from Russia…

Joseph Stalin?

Nope. Vladimir Putin.

wax roosevelt 240Wow! Now that’s bizarre! What about the quality of the figures themselves?

Roosevelt resembles Captain Von Trapp in “The Sound of Music.” Hitler looks kind of like Basil Fawlty, if Basil wore a swastika on his sleeve.

And is the Putin figure in a World War II uniform?

Of course not. He’s wearing a judo outfit.

I am SO there, Blog Guy! Thanks for saving my summer vacation!

Wax sculptures of Adolf Hitler, Winston Churchill, Vladimir Putin and Franklin Roosevelt are on display in the Niavaran Cultural Center in northern Tehran April 11, 2011.

An Iranian woman smiles as she looks at a wax sculpture of Adolph Hitler at the Saint Petersburg’s museum in the Niavaran Cultural Centre in northern Tehran April 11, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Morteza Nikoubazl

Comments

Come now! Captain Von Trapp looked mucho better than this here.. umm… what you call it.. umm.. figure…

Why is Valdimir Putin, dressed as a Karate black-belt, hanging out with Hitler, Chruchill and Roosevelt?
Why does Chruchill appear to be wearing Chairman Mao’s suit?
And finally, why does Roosevelt actually look like Rex Harrison?

These and other questions, will probably not be answered in tonight’s episode of Soap.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

never knew hitler died so young :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

The lady in the second photo sure looks lifelike. Oh wait… nevermind.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Why is the woman smiling? Is anyone anywhere who is a sane and rational human being even allowed to smile when regarding anything about Hitler unless immediately stating “Oh Hitler, what an *expletive*!”?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

why does Hitler look like Kevin Spacey?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Nice, Spin. I want to “wax” too:

I asked, “What are old candles for?”
Mr B got right to the core:
You melt ‘em all down
In the shape of a clown
And you charge a few bucks at the door.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Alright, you folks. You can stop waxing poetic on the figures.

I wonder why they don’t have Sergio Berlusconi to represent Italy, and Godzilla to represent Japan.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Oh, Spin, you are like the Weird Sisters planting dark ambitions in Big Mac’s bosom: Dare I aspire to become the Poette Laureatess of the GFM&D Shop? Fear for my immortal soul bids me say nay.
If nominated, I will not run.
If elected, I will not serve.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

ifly, Iranian people think that Hitler was such a nice guy and a forward type thinker and a national hero. Ahmadjinehad, their leader, says that there was no holocaust, and that Israel should be removed from the face of this earth.

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Why, they look so waxlike! I am particularly fond of what appears to be a large black caterpillar crawling out of Hitler’s nostril.

Spin: your comment made me laugh. And not one of the wax(ed) figures is in a bikini!

Where’s Waldo?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Can I offer a haiku?

Serious discussions out of bounds
when we see these figures
and laugh our a**es off!

@unca, oh is that how that works? Yeah, Ammajeenadude is a pretty scoundrelly guy himself.

And wait wait wait, this just occured to me. What did Vladmir Putin, now with kung-fu grip, have to do with WWII?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

ifly – he was the peacemaker. Kung Fu stopped the war, not the a-bomb. At least for these fellows here.

A

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

The Iranians figured that Putin was the re-incarnation of Stalin…
Wait, do they believe in re-incarnations???

@Shra …and so then, Ahmadjinehad is the reincarnation of Putin. Wait, is that moving UP or DOWN the reincarnation scale?

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Thank Spin and Malteser for clearing that up. Sure does make a lot more sense now! So hey, don’t tell me you wouldn’t think this was awesome; Vladmir Putin, now with karate-chop action arm, in a ring with Chuck Norris! Fight of the century right? :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@skeres: you need to think more historically inaccurate than that to be included in the above tableau. For instance, you could save money on Italy and Japan and make only one ill-fitting wax dummy that represents both: Nintendo’s Mario the Plumber. He’d fit right in!

Posted by Carne | Report as abusive

@Carne, that’s just brilliant right there! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive