A spoonful of stupid helps the medicine go down

April 28, 2011

Blog Guy, I enjoy seeing lots of extremely stupid people. Any tips on where I should go?

Stupid people seem to be plentiful everywhere, but you might especially enjoy the city of Gaziantep, in Turkey.

Really? How stupid are they over there?

Hall of Fame stupid, judging from a news story yesterday.

Criminals there have been knocking on doors dressed as doctors, and handing people pills to take. The pills turn out to be heavy sedatives, and the crooks burgle the homes.

No way!

Yup. The local police dressed as doctors just to see if it really worked, and at 86 of the 100 households they visited, people swallowed the pills immediately.

It gets even worse. In another town in Turkey, police went to houses and announced through the intercom,”I am a burglar, please open the door.” They were stunned at the number who did.

Thanks, that’s my next vacation spot, for sure. I don’t see how people can be that gullible.

I don’t, either. By the way, you do know gullible isn’t a real word, don’t you?

I didn’t know that. I’m going to look it up.

Top: People attend the rally of Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party in the southeastern Turkish city of Gaziantep July 14, 2007.

Right: A shopkeeper and his employee read their newspapers as they wait for customers in the southeastern Turkish city of Gaziantep June 12, 2007.

REUTERS photos by Umit Bektas

What, it’s not normal to take pills offered by complete strangers? That’s a little like saying that we shouldn’t eat the medicated doughnuts… :-(

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Thats a different thing, Jibberish… we are all not really strangers…
Though, that line was pretty funny “I’m a burglar, please open the door”… I think they fell for the magic word…

Burgle is a great word. It sounds like a cross between a burp and a gurgle.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Now THAT is really stupid!

Don’t those people in Turkey know that doctors don’t make house calls?

And yes, Shra; “please” is a magic word.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Great idea for the death panels.

* knock, knock *

“Hi, we’re from Medicare. Would you please take this pill?”

Turns around.

“Back the truck up, Jerry, got another one.”

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Laugh out loot :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Some more…

Laugh out looting

Robbing Off Fully Looting

Looting Misc Assets Off

:D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Even Forrest Gump is like “Whoah, stupid is as does. These folks are stupid!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

The burglars are missing out on a lot of fun. If it were me, I’d forget about stealing anything and just do things for fun while they were knocked out. Ya know, like…rearrange their entire house and then leave. Maybe dress everyone up and sit them at the dinner table with a meal in front of them….dress a man up in his wife’s lingerie and high heels and then leave him out on the front lawn…that kind of thing. If you took a video of it, you could pitch a whole new reality show that would ROCK!!

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

@Spin, my father, who was a corrections officer for 26 years, always said that if the inmates put the creativity they possesed to good use there is no telling what benefits society could have gained. Instead they (in your example) pretended to be deliverying for UPS and robbing apartments so nobody gains anything. :(

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

I have a t-shirt that says “I take sweets from strangers” on the front. Whenever I wear it, strangers feel obliged to offer me sweets. Never pills though, to date.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

For bonus points, you could go into the house of Mr. and Mrs. Cage, move them to a different house, and then wait to see how long it would take them to figure it out.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/04/18/five-tips-that-could-save-your- marriage/

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

So, do they still use booty in Turkey? If so, these burglars need to update themselves. :)
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/03/08/no-booty-here-and-thats-the-gos pel/

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

The only booty I like is the one that’s shaking ;-)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

fwd – you should go to Rio…carnival period. You’d have a ball. Just make sure you don’t take pills from strangers while you’re there, or you might end up losing it all!

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive