Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Your 40,000 comments are important to us…

May 24, 2011

Blog Guy, I see in the trade publications that your blog just hit a new milestone.

We have trade publications? Yes, I hit TWO milestones last week. I got my 30,000th follower on my Facebook Blog Network, and incredibly, I got my 40,000th reader comment, more than any of our other blogs.

You’ve had 40,000¬† comments? That’s amazing! Do you know your regular commenters personally?

No, I believe most of them are being held in secure locations for the good of society.

One of them comments mainly in haiku. One claims to be a swineherd, and another is a lawyer named Doc. One owns a pink pistol and a mandolin in Texas, and one sees his sister in almost every picture I post.

With that many people visiting and reading and commenting, Reuters must be thrilled! Was there a celebration?

Of course. It was even better than when I hit 20,000 followers. This time, there was a party hosted by none other than THIS famous couple in the photo above!

Who the hell are they, Blog Guy?

I was hoping you would know. They dressed very well.

But surely the party included A-list celebrities? Reuters must have seen to that?

Yes, there was an above-average North Korean badminton player, with his dog. Also, that actor Larry Hagman dropped by and pointed a flintlock at me.

That seems unusual. Then what happened?

I don’t know. It’s been three days, and he’s still here.

Top: Cast member Jean Dujardin and his wife, actress Alexandra Lamy, leave the Festival Palace after the screening of the film “The Artist” by director Michel Hazanavicius, in competition at the Cannes Film Festival, May 15, 2011. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann

Left: A North Korean soldier holds a badminton racket on the banks of Yalu River near the North Korean town of Sinuiju, opposite the Chinese border city of Dandong, May 20, 2011. REUTERS/Jacky Chen

Right: Actor Larry Hagman holds an antique gun during a preview of the auction “The Collection of Larry Hagman” in Beverly Hills, California May 16, 2011. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

Comments

Congrats BG!!! 40,000 COMMENTS!!!!!!!!

Congrats, Mr. B! And great new photo, too.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

40,000 comments that consist at least partly of complete jibberish! ;-)

About that pink pistol though – where can I get my hands on one of those?

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

If each comment was equal to $1 then that’s $40,000. With $40,000 one could buy 40,000 crispy chicken sandwiches from the McDonalds dollar menu. That is a bit of awe-inspiring perspective as to the magnitude of this milestone. Way to go Mr. B.! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Now thats a man, after my own stomach.. umm, I mean heart :D

Wow…40,000 :) Well done. This blog deserves this kind of success, I’m sure you brighten a lot of bored office workers’ days (*cough cough…like me). And a particular doctor’s and a lawyer’s too. And retired army personnel too. And shoe lovers. And Kate Middleton lovers. And Prince Charles’ admirers. And those of his Ma’s.

In brief, you brighten the day to many, many readers Blog Guy. I can now understand why you’re wearing aviator glasses… so much brightness around. Keep it up! :)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Congratulations on the numbers Mr B.!
I hope you are getting paid on those.

After the screening of a movie, if you come out with a goofy face and goofy hair, is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Speaking of being held in secure locations for the good of society, that reminds me of a saying a former co-worker had ‘The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing’.
And apparently, in his case, it did.
I often wonder where he is now.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Ifly: Amazing indeed, the idea and the comments.

Race to 50,000 comments, anyone? :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@Jibberish – It’s a .38 “Pink Lady” revolver. You can pick one up at any local gun shop or gun show. They also have them in purple. ;)

Well Bob…I can think of no better way to salute your accomplishment than with a song on my mandolin, followed by going outside to shoot something. Being that this is East Texas…my neighbors will likely decide to join in the ruckus and start shooting as well.

Congratulations on the 40,000 comments! If I was the 40,000th comment…AWESOME!! If not…you had better re-arrange things to make me the 40,000th…..or else.

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

Congrats Baz!

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Huzzah! There must be some sort of trophy for this achievement. Does anybody have an old bowling trophy to reuse? We could decorate it with glitter glue and BG would never know the difference! He would be so happy!

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

Nice picture, BG. Is that a grin or a grimace?

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

@fwd, heck yeah I will see you and hopefully everyone else at the 50,000 comment mark!

@Malteser, I think he is wearing the aviator glasses because he just completed a rousing game of tweed vs. skins volleyball with Maverick, Goose, and Iceman.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Sarabelle, as you probably know, I’m happy enough just seeing you use the word Huzzah!

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/04/27/putting-in-a-good-word-for-good -words/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Like the new Pic in celebration of your new Oober Status, BG! Just smug enough to show that you’re laughing at yourself. :)

==+RED

Posted by REDruin | Report as abusive

ifly, you sure about that? I’m confident Maverick, Goose and Iceman flew Tomcats, not BT-67s.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/02/24/we-almost-always-land/

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

BG,

Thanks for serving up the humorous fodder for 40K comments! A Xanax sprinkled chunk of fried dough, a cup ‘o joe and the OE blog start my day off right. I’ll bet the tweeters are jealous. When I grow up, I want to be a REAL blogger, just like you! :-)

P.S. Sis is off in Korea somewhere playing badminton but, I’m sure she’ll be impressed with your success.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Woot! WTG, BG!

Posted by BethyB | Report as abusive

Way to be, Mr B!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

40,000 comments!

All that from about 20 commentors. :)

WTG, BG.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

…from a secure location somewhere deep in the American South….
Congrats Blog Guy, you deserve all of the kudos listed aabove and themn some.

And a special thanks for not giving away identities and locations!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Oh yeah…and GREAT New Pic…You look mahvelous.

Sorry aboaut the typos – It’s dark and damp in this cave.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

A great achievement, Mr B. And we, your loyal public, love being part of something BIG–thanks!

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Oink squee! Nicely done Mr B. :)

Are those people in the top pic connected by some sort of weird head/brain/flesh tube? Disturbing. But I like the mixed doubles (human/mongrel) badminton match…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@Malteser, they did that’s true enough. However when the Tomcat was retired they needed to fullfill their need for speed somehow so they now fly the BT-67 routes to Central America. Oh but ssshhh about that. —wink wink—

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

BG: Just took a bit longer to get out of my straight jacket, er work clothes, to then sit down and send my congratulations. CONGRATULATIONS! Seems almost like deja vu. LOL!

Crow: I love the mixed doubles comment!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Very cool. Crazy hair and all.

Say Justk, now you need to add the pink M-4 carbine to your collection.

They play badminton in NK? I didn’t think they were allowed to have any fun at all – then again, is badminton considered fun?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@ifly – i see…wait. I don’t. ;)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

This is George, Daddy Tims favorite Rubber Crab Son, saying thanks to Malteser for referring to Dave and Papa, however they are retired from the United States Marine Corps, not the Army. Doc and Mr B are great Army type guys, but they are not retired from that bit of business.

Pa Rastus disappeared into the clouds on Saturday. Please, if any of you know where he was raptured off to, tell him that his son George wants to know where he hid the TV remote control, please!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive