Why are you still yammering?

May 25, 2011

Okay, I have a serious bone to pick with the news media.

It is being widely reported that the evangelical Christian broadcaster whose Judgment Day prophecy went embarrassingly unfulfilled on Saturday has explained that he miscalculated, and the actual Apocalypse will happen later.

So my question is, why are we even still quoting this man? Why are we spreading his hogwash?

In my book, he’s moved to the very, very bottom of the list, under every other person on earth, when it comes to credibility about Apocalypses, yet here we are running stories about his newest prediction.

Really? How many chances does he GET?

And while I’m on the subject, a “miscalculation” is like when you leave too small a tip for your waiter, and so he beats you up in the parking lot.

It’s NOT the word you use to explain why you got sad, gullible people to rearrange their lives around going to heaven.

I believe former president George W. Bush said it best: “…fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can’t get fooled again.”

Which is why I will NOT be running this guy’s so-called new doomsday date in my blog.

But I will say this. Don’t spend too much time worrying about a Halloween costume this year.

Top: The California evangelical broadcaster who predicted that Judgment Day would come on May 21, 2011, is seen in this still image from video during an interview at Family Stations Inc. offices in Oakland, California, May 16, 2011. REUTERS/Reuters Television

Right: A volunteer from the U.S. religious group Family Radio, a Christian radio network, holds a sign with warnings of an impending Judgment Day at Times Square in New York, May 13, 2011. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

Left: An advertisement in a New York City subway is seen on May 13, 2011. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

I wonder if they’ll be selling those judgment day t-shirts on ebay to recoup some of their costs! It might be fun to have one of those lime green shirts to go with my soon-to-be-purchased .38 Pink Lady!
Now where did I put that doughnut…

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

My thoughts exactly Baz. Great minds really DO think alike eh?

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

Don’t want to seem overly cynical or anything, but is the real reason for the multi-month ‘delay’ more due to the fact that he hasn’t tranferred the $87 Million he got in donations, into his Venezulan bank and arranged a new passport yet?
Or is he just trying to trick KFC into selling Luther Burgers?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Rejoice people and ponder this: if every person on earth picks a UNIQUE doomsday date, we’d have over 6 billion days identified. One of us would get lucky for sure.

Only problems though, a) Would we still be around by then and b) If you’re the lucky one, don’t expect a prize.

Not from me anyway.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

I don’t suppose anyone really cares, but maybe this dude should read Mark 13:32
And be made to just shut the heck up.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

At the risk of incurring the Wrath of Shra, this year June 3rd is National Doughnut Day! Let’s all plan to meet at the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop to celebrate (say around Noon?) How about it BG? Any special donuts planned for that day?

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

Not so fast, inebgreen. You have to find it, first…
v=http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/ 2011/05/25/how-did-you-find-our-little-m useum/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

There once lived a man
in faraway USA
He predicted the end of the earth
to be on 21st May
when the said event didnt happen
he hid away in a motel
for mortal fear
of being publicly throttled…

If Camping collected money that wasn’t spent by May 21, what was he planning to do with it? Since he is now scheduling a new end day, to show his sincerity and the completeness of his faith, he should put all of his money and possessions — and I mean every last cent — into an account to benefit the poor until the new date. And he doesn’t get it back.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Nosmo, forget Mark, it’s when the dolphins up and leave is when I am gonna worry.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Doctor… I would love it if someone actually told him that to his face and challenged him to do it. THAT would be awesome :)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

What I find amazing about this is how utterly stupid so many people were. Out of curiosity, weeks ago I looked at Camping’s Biblical evidence to support his prediction. It was the most vague, nonsensical, contradictory, wishful thinking I, personally, have ever witnessed. (Pun intended.)

May I say I believe in God. But not the God those Rapturemongers believe in. If God is like the god depicted by the Rapturemongers, I want nothing to do with it. Second, if Heaven is populated by the self-righteous, egocentric, stupid idiots who blindly followed Camping, I want nothing to do with it.

To believe in God today, one must either blindly follow or give the subject a great deal of intelligent thought. I have never been a sheep.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Maybe they could spend a few bucks and buy the guy in the second pic a belt?!?! I don’t want to be judging THAT!

BTW – My sister knows when the world is REALLY ending but, she’s not telling anyone. Her secret.

@inebgreen … The GFMandDS is arranging a traveling exhibit this summer. Coming to a town near you!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

@ifly- I keep my towel close.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Rapper news and Rapture news are quite frequent these days.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I was invited to a post-rapture looting, I’m a bit disappointed it’s been postponed.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Looool @ CrowGirl…

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Nice Article. I find amazing about this is how utterly stupid so many people were. Out of curiosity, weeks ago I looked at Camping’s Biblical evidence to support his prediction.

mobile signal booster