Living off the fat of the land?

May 29, 2011

I’ve complained here in the past that the problem with doing a blog for a real news organization is that sometimes people try to send me actual news, not realizing that unlike my Reuters colleagues, I can make up my own.

But I was intrigued to see in a real press release that The Southern Food and Beverage Museum was sponsoring a Public Policy Roundtable Series here in Washington, DC.

I LOVE Southern food. I didn’t know they had their own museum, which it turns out is in New Orleans.

I went to their Website and learned the Museum has exhibits on barbecue and pecan candy, among other caloric delights.

Their site even has a survey, asking readers their favorite Southern food among choices like fried okra, po-boy sandwiches, grits and fried pickles. So far, the grits are winning.

And if you aren’t familiar with fried pickles, you can even find a recipe for “Beer-Battered Fried Pickles” on the site.

There are other Southern recipes there, too, except I made the mistake of doing a search for the word “fried,” and I think the sheer volume crashed their server.

But wait, I was going somewhere with this. Oh, right, the Public Policy Roundtable they sponsored here. The title of the first event was “Advances Against Obesity.”

I am not making this up.

Top: U.S. President Barack Obama is served fried chicken as he visits Mrs. Wilkes’ Dining Room in Savannah, Georgia March 2, 2010. REUTERS/Larry Downing

Right: New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin takes a bite of a beignet (pastry) during the re-opening of the 153-year old Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana, October 19, 2005. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

Left: Screen grab from Southern Food and Beverage Museum Website

You have to appreciate the sheer elegance of using the word “beignet” to describe that delicious confection of fried dough and powdered sugar. If I remember correctly, up in New England, they just call it fried dough.

By the way BG – you are admitting to learning something? You even included the “L” word in your post. *backing slowly away before I get proximity zapped*

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Po boys, I have a cajun restaurant just down the street from me. Cajun food, Abita brews and jazz in the background. Passed on the Crawfish Festival they had about a week ago. Every once in a while I like to slip in and have something fun to eat.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Dave: tomorrow is Memorial Day – 150 years since the Civil War. Americans are still serving their country and doing what they believe is right. For you and so many on this blog that have served, and all of the service men and women active and retired, many thanks, many blessings.

Beignets for all!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Dave, I’m not worried. I think Shra spends most of the weekend passed out, so I could teach a course in nuclear physics on a Sunday and she wouldn’t notice….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Don’t you live in DC? The event was in DC – did you attend it?

Also, I bothered to do the same search you did – “fried” on the website recipes. It turned up about 32 entries for “fried,” hardly overwhelming the server. Further, if you bothered to read even the first sentence of many of these entries, many of them are just mentions of the word “fried” I then did a search for salad. About 14 entries. Vegetables. About 24 entries, most not fried.

If you further explored the website, you would find cooking classes for kids that focus on healthy cooking.

While the epicenter of obesity originated in the south, it is increasing nationwide. And, isn’t it great that a southern museum is trying to have a meaningful discussion about it?

Posted by stephaniejane_ | Report as abusive

Whoa, stephaniejane, you do realize that this is a humor blog, don’t you? Please don’t get your undies in such a bunch or you might drive Mr. B back into his shell.

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

BG: wow! The nuclear physics class would be highly entertaining. Though I am thinking that using the trebuchet to launch beignets ever so much more fun. Watching the trail of powdered sugar in the sky would be like watching a sweet trail of a shooting star!

@lemont: BG is living in a shell now? Does he keep it in his pool and retreat there to clam up?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Spin: of course, you can haz medi-beignets!

GFM&DS the winner! It is open to all regions of the country; it frequently moves, making getting there all the more challenging; and sometimes, I think large portions of it are open to the imagination at all hours and any day of the year. Everyone welcome! Well, perhaps not the Death Squad. Maybe not the Donald. Well, open to almost everyone:)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Oh finally can I really discuss some equations I have been pondering over regarding the atomization of radium for renewable fuel sources? Oh happy day! Yeah right, y’all know I ain’t smart so here is my real contribution! Are you ready commenters?

OOOOooooooo…
Who lives in a clamshell is Washington D.C.?
Rob-ert Bas-ler!
Authors a news blog full of hilarity!
Rob-ert Bas-ler!
With Beer-Battered Fried Pickles a favorite dish!
Rob-ert Bas-ler!
For dessert medi-doughnuts, as many as you wish!
Rob-ert Bas-ler!
Ready?
Rob-ert Bas-ler, Rob-ert Bas-ler, Rob-ert Bas-ler, Rooooberrrt Bassslerrrr!
Har har har ah-ha ha ha!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yikes! BG, that’s what I call playing with fire (or electricity). Maybe that clamshell will protect you.

Saaaaaayyyyy, who invited the troll?

@Onedoor, Thanks. Knowing that my service supported the likes of the OEBN made it all worthwhile :).

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Love it Mr. Pilot.

Posted by inebgreen | Report as abusive

Ifly – outstanding work there soldier. You are hereby recognised as the Goofiest Goober.

Spin – hmm a Food and Beverage Museum v Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop smackdown.
Who would be the winner depends on a) which side has the trebuchet and b) does either team have access to the Luther Burger (officially classified as a weapon of mass induction).

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

This made me so hungry..

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Now, I just looooooooooooooooooooooove fried okra!!
And that fried dough and powdered sugar beiret looks gorgeous!
Mr.Pilot, you are my man!!! That was awesome! :D

As for learning and teaching, biggggg zaaaapp for BG and Dave…
well, sorry to zap ya, Dave.. but you see cant have any favourites when it comes to doing your job. Hope you understand. :)
And OF COURSE, the GFM&DS wins!!! We would allow the Food and Beverage museum to open a tiny cafe in our premises… as a token of good will..
Now bring out those fried okras!

This is my new favouritist blog post ever.

:P

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

RE: The Food and Beverage Museum vs. Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop Smackdown…. GFM&DS Handsdown.

Unless of course, the GFM&DS publishes the results of its Public Policy Roundtable discussions. But THAT ain’t gonna happen!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Didn’t Okra just retire or something?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Nosmo – Yeah, after 25 years, she was gettin’ fried!

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I can read part of the Blue Lady’s shirt and dont want to read anymore..
“I ate my willpower”