Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

How do you get corn to stay on this thing?

May 31, 2011

Quick quiz: the politician in this photo is…

a) Just noticing they have strange microphones in Iowa.

b) Wondering why these people attach corn to a stick before they eat it.

c) Wishing he’d brought some toilet paper with him to take to the outhouse.

d) Thinking of beating himself to death to get away from all these farmers.

This was an easy one. I’ll accept any of the above answers because I’m so happy to have another goofy person entering the 2012 presidential race.

He’s no Donald Trump, but then again, who is?

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney looks at an ear of a corn during his visit to AgVision Agriculture Software, as CEO Jose Laracuente looks on in Ankeny, Iowa May 27, 2011. REUTERS/Brian C. Frank

Comments

e) Wondering how many votes he’d generate with the ear of corn as his running mate.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Nice one, Onedoor. I guess he’d appeal to the military vote by running with a kernal…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

There is something very corny about this one…

Are you trying to teach us new words, BG? What’s a kernal?

Please don’t taze me, I cannot help myself! ;-)

Just think though, you still have Romney, and possibly Palin, to make fun of. While the two of them may not quite make one Donald Trump, they should still provide some fun times!

Posted by Jibberish | Report as abusive

Jibberish – a Kernal is a military rank. It sits between Mayjor and Jennyral.
Or it could be a large university in New York.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Jibberish – your idea of a fun time must involve lots of pain. Also, a kernal is one rank higher than a lootenant kernal, and one rank below a genral. Glad I could help clear that up for you :)

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Are you both trying to teach Jibberish? Jibberish, are you trying to learn…
My taser is on charge, should be ready by the time you guys “DECIDE” what your answer is…

…and I thought Mr. Mitt was suckered into playing that old Iowegian con game, “Guess how many kernels are on this cob.” He certainly looks like he’s concentrating in that top photo. And AgVision CEO Joe is getting a big chuckle out of it – He must know the answer.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

I’m looking at Romney’s face, and I can imagine his thinking of that immortal line from Animal House.

No, NOT the one about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.

You know, the one in the market… with the frat boy … and the Dean’s wife…

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Due to a misunderstanding and a basic lack of any idea how technology works, the former Governor was eager to understand more about how prevalent Internet Corn was, and asked to see some for himself.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Regenerating ears of corn. Good to end world hunger. Bad for when zombie Orville Redenbaker unleashes his corny minions upon the earth in the popcornocalypse.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

ifly, I believe the right word is Popocalypse…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Mebbe it’s Popocalypso, the new tropical dance craze?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Popcornocalypse, Popcocalypse… sorry it’s hard to keep up with all the ocalypses that might occur these days.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

He has much better hair than Donald.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

My lads love corn. They’ll steal ears out of the corn crib. As for sweet corn, they wait until I’ve picked and husked, and then they’ll go up to the basket and pick out the best ears. They’re corn dogs.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Cornography at its best!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

“Oh…so this is corn actually? I thought it was a banana..being yellow and all…so, this pops right?”

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Corn is a sore subject hereabouts. It’s been too wet to plant. It rained 27 out of 30 days. Now, it’s too late to plant. Here, after May 20, you figure two less bushels per acre for every day you don’t plant. I did get in 14 acres of corn, only because my farm is on a sandy ridge, but most farmers will be all wheat and soybeans this year.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive