Sweet revenge against extremists?

June 7, 2011

Okay, here is another real news story that is so goofy I don’t know what to make of it.

It has been reported from London that British spies hacked into an al Qaeda Website to replace instructions on how to build a bomb with recipes for making cupcakes.

Once again, I am not making this up.

Are these British spy guys out of their minds? Guess what? The al Qaeda folks already KNOW how to make bombs. We’re pretty sure of that.

On the other hand, has anybody seen how lucrative the cupcake business is these days? The trendy shop near my house has block-long lines of people waiting to pay $2.75 per cupcake.

So, really good thinking, chaps! You’ve now handed these militants the recipe, so to speak, to fund their operations for the next decade by selling trendy cupcakes.

Think about the Girl Scout Cookies financial model, then transfer it to global extremism.

Wait. Hold on. Unless your real strategy here is to turn al Qaeda into a bunch of cupcake-eating fatties with rotten teeth, no longer posing any threat to us at all.

OMG, you spy guys may be brilliant!

Top: Cupcakes topped with sugar icing are displayed in the window of a shop in Sydney July 5, 2010. REUTERS/Tim Wimborne

Right: Cupcakes commemorating the Royal Wedding of Britain’s Prince William and Kate Middleton are displayed at a shopping mall in Hong Kong April 29, 2011. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu

Can you picture it.
On your next trip to the mall, as you head for the entrance, on one side are the Girl Scouts selling cookies, and on the other are radical insurgents selling Kate and Wills cupcakes. As the day wears on, and as business slows, there will be a pitched battle fought over this prime turf.
I back the Girl Scouts on that one – they have badges for that kind of thing.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Williams-Sonoma automatic cupcake maker, 1299.99.
Jeez.

Posted by grok | Report as abusive

cupcakes with medisprinkles :D

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

You know, I am not sure I want to try those Will-Kate cupcakes…
Just HOW did they get that pic on the icing, worries me.. and then intrigues me, as a novice baker of course..

Pics on cupcakes? It’s a snap with the Williams-Sonoma Deluxe Icing Images Edible Printing System – just $999.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Mmmmmmm, cupcakes. I wonder just how stupid they think these guys are?

“Say Achmad, pass me the black powder so I can finish the firing train for this IED.”
“No, no Yusuf, this recipe says you need baking powder and 10X sugar.”
“Achmad, are you an idiot? Call Lamar, tell him to buy a dozen eggs.”

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Pfft. Amateurs.

I did cupcakes that were topped with gum-paste daffodils. They can make all the bombs they want; nothing will suppress the awesome power of the cupcake!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Shra – edible ink onto rice paper. Some cake decorating shops will print them for you for a couple of quid. I can safely tell you this, because you can’t zap me for teaching unless you zap yourself for learning! :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Mrs. Jazz is the leader of a gaggle of Girl Scouts. I can categorically tell you all that there is no functional difference between Girl Scout cookie sales and international terrorism.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

@Spin – It’s a well known fact that the entire operation hinges on Thin Mints. Thin Mints are the IEDs of the Girl Scout world. You look at one and you think “It’s so thin, what harm could just one do?” Next thing you know, the box is empty and your bathroom scale has exploded.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Is it the shiny sprinkles and mystery filling that makes them so dangerous? Hostess has been on the terrorist watch list for years.
Twinkies the food that keep on giving and will out last a nuclear holocast.
ho ho’s the chocolate wonder.
Devil’s food cupcakes is a cupcake or death by chocolate one bite at a time.
let’s not get started on tigers tails ring dings and a variety of others that can be listed

Posted by Wheelz2 | Report as abusive

Jazz, that last comment made me chuckle..
JC, well, I can relate to your colleague coz I bake every other week and get the goodies into work… :D
Wheelz, Devil’s is reallly devilishly chocolatey… yum yum!

@jclimacus – Maybe she used to make bombs before this operation…?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

CG, are you sure? You know how I keep saying that whatever happens, the zapper cannot zap herself.. at all! :D

I think Spin has invented a new game. Instead of “Six degrees of Kevin Bacon”, “Seven degrees of Sex & The City”

excellent!!!