You betcha those British are comin’!

June 7, 2011

Blog Guy, I’m surprised you didn’t get involved in the Sarah Palin thing a couple of days ago, when she told her goofy version of Paul Revere’s ride.

Yeah, I do have to admit that was the best video clip I’ve seen since Miss South Carolina immortalized herself a few years ago.

Exactly! This is a story that every school child learns from that Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem. You know, “Listen my children and you shall hear, Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere…”

Look, Palin has clearly done her research, and has chosen to go with Longfellow’s alternate, second version of the poem.

A second version? I didn’t know that! How does it go?

It goes something like this:

Listen my children and you shall hear,

Of the midnight ride of a guy called Revere

On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five,

He got on his horsie and went for a drive

He said to his friend, “If the British come, Bub,

You mark my words, they will close down the pub!

Go fetch some big kegs, for just you and me,

One if by land, and two if by sea

Then, many drinks later he rode through the town,

He called from the saddle, he couldn’t get down

He sent out a message to all patriots,

Ringin’ those bells and sendin’ those shots

“The British are coming!” shouted Revere,

“We know,” said a Redcoat, “We’re already here!”

Revere, he had blown it, a mistake we would rue,

Telling the Brits what they already knew

“Oh, WOE!,” Revere cried, “Oh unbearable woe!”

“But in two hundred years, who’s gonna know?”

With that, he fell off, and returned to the bar,

‘Twas the end of the ride for Paul’s brother, Lamar!

Top: Sarah Palin, former governor of Alaska, takes part in the Rolling Thunder motorcycle ride to honour U.S. veterans, in Washington May 29, 2011. REUTERS/MollyRiley

Right: First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton praises fifth and sixth grade students from the New School in Cambridge, Massachusetts after they recited the poem “The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere” at the Longfellow House in Cambridge, December 5, 1998. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Right: Palin greets supporters as she exits the Fox News headquarters in New York, June 1, 2011. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Right: Sarah Palin signs an autograph before taking part in the Rolling Thunder motorcycle ride to honour U.S. veterans in Washington May 29, 2011. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts

Bottom right: Palin gestures as she speaks during the LIA (Long Island Association) Annual Meeting & Luncheon at the Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury, New York February 17, 2011. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

[...] Revere's ridePalm Beach PostThe Truth about Paul Revere's RidePublic Radio International PRIYou betcha those British are comin'!Reuters Blogs (blog)CBS News -Christian Science Monitor -NPRall 956 news [...]

Sarah Palin, that goofy woman – she can’t even do a proper Vulcan ‘live long and prosper’ salute in the first picture.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Since I dont know the original poem, your’s is the version I shall revere, BG!

If Mrs.Palin would have joined her little finger and the finger next to it, and then her middle finger and her index finger creating a gap in the middle, I would have said “Nanooo Nanooo”
(I remember Robin Williams in that movie, used to make me fall off my seat laughing as a kid)
And I definitely want that bike!!! Get off it, woman!!!

Hey Nosmo, I think you’ve used that one before…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

BG, last time I think it was the Vulcan nerve pinch – and that’s something she can do really well.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Shra – that is one very nice scooter.

A haiku:

Poor Sarah Palin
Not a history buff, no
Lend her my Google?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

What’s everyone got against Massachusetts? First Michele Bachmann blabs about Concord and Lexington being in New Hampshire, Mitt Romney apologizes for helping the poor get health insurance when he was guv, and Sarah Palin mangles the state’s history.

Hilarious rewrite of Paul’s ride, BG, and maybe closer to the truth.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Many thanks, Slick. I did a lot a research on it and turned up some interesting stuff.

For example, did you know Paul Revere’s “Midnight Ride” was really at 11 p.m. because they didn’t have Daylight Savings Time back then?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I knew that. We also say “Listen my children and you shall hear of the 11 p.m. EST ride of Paul Revere.”

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

LOL, Slick… Wonderful!

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

OMG! I *knew* Lamar had something to do with Simple Sarah’s statement!

Didn’t she say something about, “One if by sea, two if by air”?

Next thing we know, she’ll be quoting Napoleon XIV. ;)

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

I think she’s demonstrating the nerve pinch in photo 3.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Let the haiku’s roll!

Now Sarah knows that
she should not trust research by
her staffer, Lamar

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

As a neighbour to the north, I’m wondering if Americans are setting impossible standards for politicians. Why roast poor Sarah just because she’s not up on the rock bands of the sixties? I know….kicks just keep gettin’ harder to find.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Great one, ladylala. And nice self-control, not mentioning Lamar at all….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well Paul did warn the British, documented fact.

Posted by Tough | Report as abusive

Uh oh… I guess someone needs a zapping!!
You too, BG!

@ladylala: Paulin is what rednecks want, I guess?

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Not surprisingly, you have all missed your marks. Study more in school. Paul Revere was captured by the British and warned them that it would not be easy to control the colonies. Sarah Palin was right.

Posted by Hippogrriff66 | Report as abusive

Haiku?…

Hoped for once again
by foolish G-O-P’ers
Got’cha saves us all

Posted by NobleKin | Report as abusive

Alaskan Beauty
ignorance’s face unveiled
not Presidential

or

Revered Paul’s ride
Recounted by Russia’s watcher
History in ruins

Posted by NobleKin | Report as abusive

at least Sarah was able to get the crib notes off her palm
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/06/03/palin-gets-a-palm-reading/

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

for Sarah:
Don’t know history
But I can still see Russia
Why apologize?

for the Weiner:
Certitude’s not there…
On second thought, I did it.
Sorry…I’ve done worse.

Brag about your stupid acts…Join the OE Blog Network!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Every time Weiner opens his mouth, he shows he is unfit. He sent inappropriate photos and lied about it. Now he thinks he shouldn’t resign because (he claims) he didn’t do these acts on government equipment. This country simply doesn’t need a waste of human flesh as a Congressional representative.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I agree, Doc. However, I would re-word your last sentence: This country simply doesn’t need ANOTHER waste of human flesh as a Congressional representative. ;)

and how about hometown boy, Newt? Geez…campaign staff resigns en masse??? I guess none of them made the Tiffany’s gift list.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Spin, when I pull a weed, I pull it out by the roots.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

He lied about what did, claiming someone else did it. Worse, after he admitted he did it, he continued to lie. First, he lied about it becasue he knew what he did was inappropriate. Now, after havibng admitted he committed the acts, he says he did “nothing inappropriate.” Multiple layers of deception. I believe people in positions of authority should set the standard by personal example.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

[...] 2. You betcha those British are comin’! [...]

[...] are disappearing, and it’s not even 2012 yet! How can I replace the likes of Palin and her version of Paul Revere’s ride? I may as well just hang up my blogging license and become an [...]

[...] Those wacky Republicans: Where do I begin? With Sarah Palin’s fractured history, with Herman Cain’s Libya meltdown, with Rick Perry’s “Oops,” or just with [...]