Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Shooting blanks from some hidden tanks?

June 15, 2011

The captions on this series of photos say this tank, which is firing blank ammunition, is “releasing smoke bombs to hide itself” during war games.

Okay, somebody needs to step forward and tell the hard truth, and I guess it’s going to have to be me.

Here goes.

I can see the tank.

Oh, they can say it’s hiding all they want, but dammit, there it is now, calling attention to itself by shooting off smoke bombs like a North Carolina teenager on July 4.

I can even see it despite all those leaves and branches attached to it.  Here it comes, a lumbering shrub with smoke puffs all around it.

“Colonel! I can’t see the enemy tank! It just disappeared in broad daylight! What should we do?”

“Relax, Sarge. See that bunch of smoke rings moving along over there? Just aim for the middle of all those puffs. You can’t miss it.”

Top and left: A South Korean Army tank releases smoke bombs to hide itself during the U.S.-South Korea joint military exercise against possible attacks by North Korea, at a shooting range near the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas in Paju, 28 miles north of Seoul, June 8, 2011.

Lower left: A South Korean Army tank fires blank ammunition during the U.S.-South Korea joint military exercise.

REUTERS photos by Jo Yong-Hak

Comments

sure you can see it, BG. That’s because (once again) Lamar goofed. If he’d used the smoke camo paint, you wouldn’t have been able to see a thing. ;)

you can run, but you can’t hide…Join the OE Blog Network!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

The smoke kind of reminds me of the smoke-messages one often sees depicted as the form of communication used by native americans… could this exercise have something in common? I guess the message above would read:

“I AM NOT HERE. SHOOT SOMEWHERE ELSE.”

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Little philosopher boy: “You musn’t try and run from the tank. That’s impossible. Instead you must try to realize the truth.”

Neo: “What truth?”

Little philosopher boy: “That there is no tank.”

Neo: “There is no tank?”

Little philosopher boy: “Then will you see it is not the tank that is shooting at you, it is only…oh wait…no, it is the tank that is shooting at you! Run Neo, you can’t dodge tank rounds yet!”

Neo: “Whoah.”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Whew, thought for a minute there this post might be about something else entirely.

Those are the infamous doughnut smoke screen rounds. They only work on the OEBN, and you have to hide in the ring.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

They are such perfects smoke rings..

@Shra: Only you could be that optimistic :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

“…shooting off smoke bombs like a North Carolina teenager on July 4….” Hey, cut it out, BG – I resemble that remark.
(Except maybe the teenager part.)

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Grafenwöhr Training Area, Germany, 1980. My memory is not what it once was, but in my memory, filtered through 30 years of therapy and many episodes of South
Park, my training there went something like this.

M-60 MBT approaches through smoke and fog. The mud quivers like jello. Tank fires.

Instructor: “Do you see?”

Me: “Uh, Mr. Sergeant, sir. Yea, uh, I didn’t really sign on for this. I’m supposed to be in a helicopter. Now, if you could just help me pull my legs out of this 4 feet of mud, I’ll be on my way.”

MBT approaches.

Instructor: “Do you see?”

Me: Okay, yea, I see. Yes, Sir. Uh, now if you’ll help me get this assault pack off my back, all 62 pounds of it, I’ll pull my face out of this mud and be on my way. I’ll just leave my boots right there in the mud. My socks, too. Hey, I’ll leave my pants, too.”

MBT nears.

Instructor: “Do you see?”

Me: Okay, I’ll just leave my feet in the mud. I think I hear my chopper leaving….

MBT nears, fires.

Instructor: “Do you see?”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Oh so those are smoke rings!
I thought they were large crocheted tank doilies – you park your tank on them so they don’t leave stains on the ground.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I am waiting for you to explain what the Instructor expected you to see, Doctor Doll… the suspense is getting to me!

I don’t remember much of Graf, Shra. I think I’m confusing memories of training at Graf and Hohenfels. What I do remember is realizing that I could feel the vibrations from the tanks in my guts. We had to press our fingers against the other person’s cheekbone so that we could talk to each other. And the deep, cold mud. The tank driver would park his tank in the mud. Next morning, it would be frozen in place.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

What I have found to be most effective,- to shut up a yapping mini dog when he and his owner is visiting across the street (to keep Aunty Remus out of her ‘kill ‘em all and let God keep the count’ moods), is to hide myself in the vegetation and then to shoot bottle rockets at him. It works wonders on that ‘nuisance barker!’

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

I am still snickering at the comment on ‘Tank Doilies!’ However, to be telling the truth, those rounds are only effective when utilizing Tanks/Donut Shaped one 1(ea)

Which means, to the non military types in here, a donut shaped tank.

And it is called a Cozy/Tank, Donut Shaped one 1(ea)

Semper Fudge!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@ spin If they are shooting blanks, then how in the world are they impregnated with smoke rings…. i’m just sayin.

Posted by Wheelz2 | Report as abusive

O M G!!! Doc, I think you may have been stationed in Germany with Francis Dolarhyde. Did he have an impressive tattoo on his back? And a cleft palate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pfk3cyM uA&feature=related

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

That was Fort Campbell, not Germany, Georgia.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Giant smoke rings! So pretty! That’s made my day. That, and the use of the phrase “tank doillies”. I’m going to have to see if Knit_Nurse can make me one.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive