Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Deadly danger lurks in Snake Town

June 17, 2011

Ewwwwwww. What’s up with that photo, Blog Guy? It’s kind of creepy.

You think so? It’s just the boss of a snake farming company, in a village known as Snake Town, enjoying some snake meat at a restaurant.

Oh, whew. For a minute there I thought it might be something weird. I’m looking for a job myself. You think Snake Town is hiring?

Probably, but I can’t recommend it. Looks like pretty dangerous work.

Ah, because of the chance a venomous snake will bite me and I’ll die before I can get medical attention?

No, not that.

Then you mean because a constrictor might wrap itself around me and slowly crush the very life out of me?

No, not that.

Then what is it, Blog Guy?

Look at this photo on the left. You’d have to work with a cigarette smoker. That second-hand smoke will kill you.

Top: Yang Hongchang, boss of  a snake rearing company, eats a snake at a restaurant in Zisiqiao village, Zhejiang Province, June 15, 2011. Residents of Zisiqiao Village, also known as the snake town, raise over three million snakes a year for food and medicinal proposes.

Right and left: Yang Hongchang holds snakes at the snake farm.

REUTERS photos by Aly Song

Comments

you know, if this guy has kids there’s still time for a trip to Williams Sonoma before Father’s Day! http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/06/06/for-the-foodie-who-has-everythi ng/

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Loved the way you force me to follow my dieting schedule, RB. :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Fwd, you should be glad he didnt put up the pic of the severed head of a snake… that would have put u off completely, even off diet food!

Just be wary if that guy ever offers you a can marked simply “peanuts”.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Nice one, ifly. First out loud laugh of the morning…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Okay, I just can’t resist:

Badger, badger, badger, badger,
MUSH-room, MUSH-room!
Badger, badger, badger, badger,
MUSH-room, MUSH-room!
Badger, badger, badger, badger,
MUSH-room, MUSH-room!
Badger, badger, badger, badger,
MUSH-room, MUSH-room!

SnaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa AAAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAke!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Well when you think about it, snaketown’s got it all covered with snakes…

Clothing? Snakeskin, fashionable.

Food? Snake – town’s favourite.

Drink? Well, uou like your water a bit, shall we say, venomous?

In pain, need medicine? Snakes too – we’ve got it covered.

Too much pain, euthanasia? Snakes venom, snakes constricting, or else, just meet this guy. Second hand smoke will get you (loved that).

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive