Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

So you think you’re a tuft guy, huh?

June 18, 2011

Blog Guy, I need your help with redecorating our dining room.

We want something really new. You know, something dinner guests will remember.

I hear you. Get yourself down to a store called The Seat of Power and ask to see their dictator-themed dining room ensemble. It’s called the Martinet Set.

Martinet? Is that like Raisinette?

Not really.  Martinets are authoritarians, and you can get a collection of dining room chairs representing famous strongmen. Hitler, Stalin, Saddam Hussein…

Why would I want such a thing?

Because they have nice gold legs, and you get to say, “”Who would like some coffee on the Gaddafi?”

Blog Guy, this is even stupider than most of your stuff.

There is no connection between chairs and dictators. None whatsoever!

Oh? You’ve never heard of Chairman Mao?

Dining chairs designed by Jordanian Khaled Sharaan are displayed in Amman June 14, 2011, before sending the collection to an auction house in London. The dining chairs collection, “the Never ending Dinner”, includes images which the artist considers to be controversial leaders who lived throughout modern history. REUTERS/Ali Jarekji

Comments

would a Tufts alumnus totally take to a totalitarian tufted throne?

I’m not sure. I do know that Dr. Strangelove would be thrilled with the Hitler chair: Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

“…includes images which the artist considers to be controversial leaders who lived throughout modern history.”

The artist had to CONSIDER whether said leaders were controversial? Did he actually sit down and write a pro/con list on Hitler to figure out if Hitler was controversial? And then what? “Ok after careful consideraltion it looks like yes, the cons far outweigh the pros. Hmm..I thought it would be closer. Oh well, Hitler is controversial so slap that SOB on a chair!”

On a side note, why are they all in technicolor?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

The Artist, Formerly Known As The Artist loses in his try at being thought provoking.

Y’all see, I already have Adolph Hitler painted in the bottom of our toilet, awaiting Aunty Remus’s, George’s and my own contributions to him.

Naturally, he is depicted with his eyes closed. No peeking, Mr Hitler!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

on the main page (I can’t see it once I click CONTINUE READING), is that Sir Elton in the background??? What is he doing in that mix of people?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Wow, that’s one mental designer. Those would really put me off my feed.

Two things come to mind… the scene in the Naked Gun where Frank Drebin infiltrates a dinner attended by dictators, and extreme slapstick ensues as he dispatches them.

Also, an old cartoon by B. Kliban which had the memorable title: Dirty Fat Man Sits On President’s Face.

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

evidently facial hair is a MUST if you aspire to oppress the masses.

Follow me…to the OE Blog Network!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Tinpot dictators
sit down for dinner. Is that
controversial?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Mr B, you actually gave a definition of “martinet”. That’s precariously pedagogical in my books. You’re mighty brave when Shra’s not around, aren’t you, tough guy? Swaggering, strutting, defining stuff. But come Monday, you’ll be sorry, mister.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Relax ladylala, I just made up my definition so I’m pretty sure it’s wrong. I believe a martinet is really a puppet manipulated by strings….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

and the trap is baited … will someone take the martinet bait and will shra’s taser be dutifully discharged?
We wait as the unsuspecting blogger noses round the OE Blog Network!

Mean while the regulars will be cojoling round the GF museum for the new furnishings of these Warhol tufts newly installed!

Posted by Wheelz2 | Report as abusive

So, backpedaling already, Mr B. Now a martinet is a puppet. On Monday you’ll say it’s a cocktail slightly larger than a martini. Is there no end to your cowardly dodging? I’m so glad my Lamar is a man of valour and integrity.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

this also brings to mind a Python song which I’m positive Mr. Spam filter would NOT approve.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Spin, liking the “Main Course by Force” line…
Lady, you are so right about Lamar!
BG, you do ask for this you know! Zaaaaaaaaaaappppp!

flamenquito – that Frank Drebin scene was hilarious. Loved the Naked Gun series.

I have one qualm against this artist though, I would much rather have the images printed on the seat, rather than the back of these chairs…

Firstly as I would rather not have my back to them, I wouldn’t trust them…and secondly, well… I guess they all deserve a taste of a REALLY efficient mustard gas ;)

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@GeogiaPeach – would that song involve the words sitting and face in the same sentence?
If so, then we had the same thought.
If not, then, umm, I was never here, OK?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Like the way you think there, Malt… :) :)
Lol at the mustard gas comment.. :D

@Shra, you could have a seat beside me, if you know what I mean…we got beans for starters…

@Spin: you have me grinning like a fool at my work-computer! lol

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Martinets are controlled by stringettes. Also controlled by the use of craftily concealed microchippettes. They even throw around stringette guided antitankette missilettes. With microchippettes included. Along with a jar of quesoettes, to go along with the microchippettes. As well as a handy microscopette, to see the microchippettes, for after attack eating. Delish!. Have you ette yet?

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@Nosmo – yep. That would be the tune. I think Spin may have been mentioned in that song! ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

LOL! Malt, I will leave you to the shenanigans and wear a gas mask to dinner… :P :P

Gassing Herr Hitler,
Them beans were simply lethal!
The dictator’s down!