Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Welcome to the Grenade-o-Rama!

June 20, 2011

First off, ladies and gentlemen, I want to thank you all for coming out to our sixth annual Grenade-o-Rama! I don’t know about you folks, but I think this is the best one yet!

Let’s also thank the ladies for the tasty deviled eggs and potato salad, which we should probably eat as quickly as possible considering it’s 110 degrees out here.

Now it’s time for the annual competition to see who can carry the most rocket-propelled grenades at once, so pick up your binoculars and look over at that clearing, 400 yards away.

And it looks like we have a winner! It’s Lamar, with an incredible SIXTEEN live RPGs in his arms!

This is Lamar’s first time in the competition. As you know, the previous five winners are unfortunately unavailable…

Isn’t that amazing, ladies and gentlemen! Look at that, he’s even flashing the victory sign! My goodness, he’s not going to do it with BOTH hands, is he? NO, Lamar!

A rebel poses with rocket-propelled grenades taken from an armored personnel carrier captured from forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi on the outskirts of the town of Zlitan, west of the rebel-held port city of Misrata June 10, 2011. REUTERS/Abdelkader Belhessin

Comments

Lady, dont look!! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

Anyone for a rousing game of lawn darts?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

“Is that sixteen rocket grenades in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?” :)

Wait, that doesn’t sound as good coming from a guy. @Shra, can you say the above line? It will be sexier coming from you. :)

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

While the rubberized helmet and ear protection should be applauded, I cannot believe he is not wearing gloves.

Posted by KWest | Report as abusive

I would say that line to a good looking Mr.Fab Abs, skeres ;)

I don’t get the ear protection on the rebel guy…if the grenades go off, he’ll never hear them anyway….

Or maybe it’s a two-way radio…I hope it’s tuned to the right frequency:
Base to Rebel Guy, do you hear me? Come in Reble Guy…What was that earth-shattering Ka-Boom I just heard? Rebel Guy?

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

That’s a new clock fellows. The “victory sign” is a misinterpretation. That’s the hour hand (right hand) saying it’s 2′o’clock. In the picture, you can also notice the one finger on the guy’s left hand going up, showing that it’s almost one minute past two.

Unfortunately we haven’t yet managed to get the clock to go past the “5 minutes past *any hour*” time, and the clock is kind of useless from 6 to 12 o’clock, AM/PM.

Alas, it does wake you up when it’s time to… just don’t try hit the snooze button as savagely as you hit your traditional alarm clocks. You might be, shall we say, surprised?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Look, I have to give Lamar some credit. I wasn’t even aware he KNEW any gestures involving more than one finger.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I hope he didn’t send this photo to his mom, unless he hates her.

Posted by slick10 | Report as abusive

Slick10? Okay, is this the artist formerly known as Slick9?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Uh, that ain’t no victory sign. That’s the other one.

Nice Princess Leia hat the guy is wearing, should help him score more points in the ‘artistic impression’ part of the competition. Not so much in the formal-wear section I think.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Where did Lamar get his degree in counting? University of Badgers?

I count 6, not 16. Even with my cataracted cat eye, I can still count. I think. Maybe not.

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

I counted six too, Unca, but the concept of carrying 16 RPGs is much funnier than just six, so I took poetic license.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Doc: You said in a previous post that you had influence at Harvard. Could you pull some strings and get Lamar a richly deserved honorary doctorate? Then maybe Mr B would stop sending him on ridiculous life-threatening assignments. (There could be some borscht in this for you and the missus, Doc.)

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Ladylala, I don’t think Harvard Elementary has a doctoral program. In fact, I don’t think Harvard has a 6th grade program. But, I really do like the architecture, and I do think Harvard Elementary would be a good fit for Lamar.
http://www.tps.org/elementary-schools/ha rvard-elementary-school-184/view-details .html

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

No, Doc, Harvard Elementary is not the answer, despite its fine architecture. See, Ma says Lamar was prevented from reaching his full potential at the various elementary schools she tried, just because he didn’t play well with the other children. Like that was part of the curriculum or something. For this reason we need to streamline things and fastforward to an honorary doctorate. Anyway, he wouldn’t fit into the desk. Do you know anybody at Yale?

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Yes, BG, somehow slick9 wasn’t allowed to post earlier, so slick9 morphed into slick10. Now slick9 is allowed to post, so go figure.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

I’m sorry about that, but now if you develop some kind of multiple personality disorder, you’re all set with two profiles….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

will the Grenade-o-Rama be added as a stop on the Wine-A-Bago tour? http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/03/01/merlot-on-the-go/

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

A helmet can save you in any situation, the moral.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

JC, I bow to thee.. thou are su-per (read in teh french accent)

JC, Wunder-bar!

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

I don’t remember what I posted, but was it blasted out of this thread? :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive