Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Bride pride? Taking to the bridal path…

June 21, 2011

Blog Guy, I was surprised to read your item about that Bridesmaid Festival. Are there any other examples of wedding nostalgia events you’re aware of?

Sure. Over in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk they just had their annual “Parade of Brides,” where 100 young married women took part in the event to relive their wedding day.

RELIVE THEIR WEDDING DAY? Are you kidding me?

Thanks to my ex-wife’s lawyer I relive my freaking wedding day all year long! It’s gonna take years of therapy to change that.

I’m sorry you’re so bitter about the institution of marriage. Clearly, many people find it joyful to remember such a romantic day.

Hey, wait just a second, Blog Guy! Krasnoyarsk? Isn’t that the place you call “Wackytown?” Isn’t it the city you’ve identified as the goofiest spot on earth?

Yes, that’s the place.

Ah. Suddenly their “Parade of Brides” makes a lot more sense…

Top: Married women, dressed in wedding and fancy dresses, cool themselves in a fountain during the “Parade of Brides 2011″ in the centre of Russia’s Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, June 19, 2011. About 100 young married women took part in the annual parade to relive their wedding day.

Right: Married women participate in the “Parade of Brides 2011.”

Left: Police officers look at a participant during the “Parade of Brides 2011.”

REUTERS photos by Ilya Naymushin

Comments

Wrong angle again, Lamar, you fool! (Thats what the boys are saying…)
I have so much to say about those first 2 pics, I dont know where to start!!!

I wondered about that myself, Spin. There has to be some reason all those police are watching her….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Ahhhh, Krasnoyarsk, that bastion of wackiness, where the brides go topless. Yep, definitely on my top 32 1/2 list of places to visit. Hey BG, can you get Lamar to send me some tourist fliers?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

No Boehners in the third pic…I’m surprised. It IS indeed a queer town…

Oh, and by the way, I do mispronounce Boehner, btw, just like I mispronounce Weiner.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

In the third picture, there are seven boobs, and five of them are wearing hats!

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Lol, brilliant Nosmo…
Spin, yup, though I would wonder if those girls are paying any attention to them.. they seem pretty buzzed to me..

@Shra: Good one! :D

Not any matter of pride
Just a parade of bride
You’re wedded this year
There’s no place to hide

baah, Spin wins :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

While the brides relive the wedding, the grooms relive the Bachelor party?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Oh, I don’t think the third picture has a topless bride. Haven’t you seen a backless dress? But, that’s a heckuva back!

As for the first picture, it seems like two young women who are excited to remember what it was like to have a wedding day. Maybe there’s the ritual “dowsing with water” in Wackytown!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Skeres, possibly it just looks like a good back because we’ve had so many bad ones here recently.

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/05/06/ive-got-your-back-renee/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Wow, Siberia really is much better than it’s cracked up to be!

Lovely brides whinnying down their options on the bridle path. Suspension of nudity laws when the right chest is visibly suspended. Gulags re-purposed as luxury resorts… let’s go!

BG, maybe you actually meant that they were going to revile their wedding day?

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

Hi Spin,
Accomplished haiku maven!

I’m in NY, no evidence of that yet, so maybe I’ll just ask some people on the street if they’re interested.

I was in Brattleboro, Vermont last week, a fun funky town which had a nude march some years ago, because there was no law against it. The town quickly got upset and banned it. It’s funny, our little puritanical country.

But this time, no joy, although I heard a young woman on the street say that she was going to “pull them out” at a party. Maybe it was a Siberian Wedding Party!

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

@flamenquito: I love Brattleboro!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Yes, @Skeres!
I would definitely consider living there – the vibe is so nice, the people, the mountain setting. Who knows, if I ever pull up stakes here, and I won’t even quibble if they keep their nudity indoors!

But as @Spin says, I hope they’ll prominently display their bouncing balloons during the soon-to-be yearly Siberian Revile Wedding Festival! @Spin, when you said Krasnoyarsk, I thought you sneezed in Russian!

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

There’s a joke I’ve heard in Germany several times. An American woman and her husband are on a train in Germany. She sneezes, and someone says “Gesundheit!” She says to her husband “Thank goodness someone here speaks English!”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Thanks, Doc. It’s like Mark Twain said: A German joke is no laughing matter…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

It’s like the South Park episode where the Germans are voted the least funny people in the world. And, to prove the point, by telling a German “joke,” I’m the straight man!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Heard that one, BG..
Good thing too, since I am heading off to Munich for the weekend…

Shra, Augsburg (my second home) is 30 minutes from Munich by rail. Just sayin’.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive