Sit, Spot, it’s time for our conference call!

June 23, 2011

Regular readers know I seldom volunteer my personal opinions, which tend to be uninformed and moronic.

But just this once, I’m going to support a good idea that is coming up very soon.

Tomorrow is “Take Your Dog to Work” day. I’d rather work in an environment with dogs than in a dogless one, any day.

Oh, I’m not saying it’s the right move for everyone. If you plan on confronting riot police, you may want to leave the dog at home.

The same probably holds true if  you’re a brain surgeon, opera singer, test pilot, Mafia hit man or air traffic controller.

If your daily job involves rescuing disaster victims, helping folks with disabilities or generally making our world a safer and better place, then working with dogs may be something you already do every day.

But if you’ve just got a regular human occupation, then think about taking your best friend with you to work tomorrow. That is, assuming there’s no chance your dog will make you look bad by doing your job better than you do it.

Your pet will show an interest in much of your daily routine, especially lunch, snacks and hiding office supplies to take home later.

I say all this as someone who works from home surrounded by two dogs and two cats all day long, and I can tell you they have made my blog what it is today. If they don’t laugh at an item, I don’t run it.

I mean, if you had a complicated task would you give it to these guys in the photos, or to Lamar?

Top: A dog barks at a formation of riot police near the Greek parliament in Athens, June 15, 2011. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol

Right: A Swiss rescue worker with her dog prepares to depart for Indonesia for a relief mission at the Swiss Air Rescue base in Kloten October 1, 2009. REUTERS/Christian Hartmann

Lower right: A rescue dog of the Taiwan rescue team wears sun glasses as it leaves the UN compound at the Port-au-Prince airport together with his handler on a pick-up in the early morning hours January 18, 2010. REUTERS/Wolfgang Rattay

Left: Take Your Dog To Work Day

Lower left: My own helpers

The dog in the first picture is attempting to inform Police riot shield holder number 7, that he is in fact holding it upside down.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I wish I could take my boys to work with me. I notice my golden retriever has BG as a friend on his facebook page…and my dog is VERY selective about his friends. :D

Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative. –Mordecai Seigal

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I noticed that, Georgia. It wasn’t a real challenge – I would always befriend a golden retriever.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Dogs are awesome. Cats are… cats. Yes, deep thoughts and observations on a Thursday.

You know, they also say pets tend to look like their people (or vice versa, I forget) and I can see the resemblance there BG.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Did you have a Tweeter on the call as well?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

The problem with bringing my dog to work (outside of the fact that he is not allowed and we are usually stopped by security as if he is a short terrorist)is when you – the humanoid, have to use the lavatory. There is no way to control a basset hound in a ladies room. He does not understand the “one stall per patron” rule, and immediately goes under the walls and on social tour.
Shrieking normally follows.

Posted by hmcfabulous | Report as abusive

I’m sorry hcmfabulous, I’m not seeing the problem…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@hmcfabulous Did you say “terrier-ist?”

TYDTWDay To-Do List: Jobs for the OE Blog Dogs
SIT…in the Martinet Set Seat of Power
STAY…away from Speaker of the House John Boehner’s second-hand smoke
FETCH…those “blasted” fish out of the Benghazi Sea
BLOG…on the OE Blog and Take YOUR Dog to Work!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@Georgia…love the quote. Mordecai was a great guy – sad that he passed away last year.

@Spin…Best haiku yet! (And there have been some great ones.)

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Caleb and Eddy
The good guys win, now and then.
Service animals :)

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/15/ local/la-me-autism-dog-20110615

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

True story.

The other day, I was called upon to employ a clay extruder for the local ‘Clay Club,’ (which Aunty Remus is a member of) because a whole lot of raku clay needed to be extruded. Anyone ever did this? Ouchie for the wrist!

When I got done with this, I was rewarded with the use of the President of the Clay Clubs river dock, and I began to fish.

The Presidents dog Jake came out and decided whenever I cast out, he was going to return that danged run away bobber.

For five hours, he was retrieving my bobber.

It’s a good thing that fishing is not my employment, eh!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

I suppose I could take my dog to work tomorrow, but believe me, coding is a deadly dull job. And my dog would want to PLAY!

I suppose I could entertain the pooch with many clicks to “ICanHasCheezburger DOT com”, but that would detract from the quality of work I do. Or, the time I spend here; one or the other. ;)

So, I guess I’ll just bring some work home from the office and let her tear it up and chew it. :)

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

My lads keep themselves occupied while I work. They listen to Poochini on their I-Pawds. (I’m sorry.)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Dave_not_dave, I thought the same thing, only thing is, those dogs are missing the aviator glasses BG is wearing. I guess BG wants to keep those for himself only, unlike the Taiwan rescue dog handler, who’s clearly more generous. Shame on you BG! :P

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@hmc … great story! My sister has a bassett hound. Great dog! Although, I can’t recall that I’ve ever seen a picture of it. ;-)

I let my dog fly every now and then, he loves it.

Photo Courtesy of FlightAware.com

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

My one GSD sounds like a rooster on steroids when he barks at squirrels, which is often. He also has to announce his presence to the world every morning at sunrise. For these reasons, his nickname is “Rooster.” Often, people on the other end of a telephone call will say “What[, I say what,] is that?”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

cuddly fun :D

Posted by fwd79 | Report as abusive

Good question, Spin, but I’m afraid what happens here in the Blog’s writers’ room is confidential.

I will say that all four animals completely crack up at the very mention of Lamar.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Yay, Crazy Eddy!

Spin, I read your comment as “A project manager with whom I worked was leading a CALF from home one day…”

Can those of us who have work dogs take them home for the night instead?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

So Mr. B. are you saying we should no longer allow Lassie XII to test fly the BT-70?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Lassie was supposed to be watching Timmy at PLAY, not in the PLANE!

Got to spend time with family and their dogs: Stan the Man, Capt. Cranky and Sally. Sally’s coloring is like the rescue dog’s and she is smarter than I am most of the time. Sigh.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

[...] · 0 commentsin Other dog newsA former colleague of mine is opining over on his blog about who exactly should be allowed to take their dogs to work. He’s lucky enough to work from home with two very cute dogs, whose pictures are on display.As [...]

I looooooove my dog.. we named him Flint coz he has the colouring of a flintstone… though he is as crazy as the Yabba-Daba-Doo!!