How the rich and powerful keep fit

June 26, 2011

Blog Guy, as someone who hangs out with the power elite, can you tell me how they manage to stay in shape? I mean, they must get free food anytime they want, so how do they cope with all that?

Good question. Powerful people usually hire other powerful people as their personal trainers.

Really? It’s that simple? I’m not doubting you, but it’s kind of hard to believe. So who does Michelle Obama use,  just for instance?

She uses Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Here she is, following his tough calisthenics regimen while practicing her goofy faces at the same time. It’s called “multi-tasking.”

Hmm. What about Britain’s Queen Elizabeth? She looked very spry and fit at the recent royal wedding. If you’re the Queen of England, who do you get for a personal trainer?

You get the British Prime Minister. The Queen enjoys daily Stairmaster-style workouts, using Number 10 Downing Street as her Stairmaster.

Here she goes, up and down, up and down, up and down, as the prime minister shouts stuff like, “You have the power! Unleash it!”

Gosh. I guess that helps her legs, but what about upper body development?

Not to worry. She has 50-pound weights in her pocketbook.

You know, Blog Guy, it’s funny. I used to think you just made this stuff up…

Top: U.S. first lady Michelle Obama does push-ups with Archbishop Desmond Tutu as they participate in youth activities raising awareness for HIV prevention, at Cape Town Stadium in Cape Town, South Africa, June 23, 2011. REUTERS/Charles Dharapak/Pool

Left: Britain’s Queen Elizabeth walks up the staircase at number 10 Downing Street with Prime Minister David Cameron, before a lunch to celebrate Prince Philip’s 90th birthday, London June 21 2011. REUTERS/Stefan Rousseau/pool

Left: Britain’s Queen Elizabeth walks down the staircase at number 10 Downing Street with Prime Minister David Cameron, June 21 2011. REUTERS/Stefan Rousseau/pool.

I guess the Coolest World Leader Dude has been following mum up and down the steps…gotta keep those gams in shape for kilt season ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Sometimes, I think Lamar has the most boring job in the world. Take a picture (or 30) of the Queen going up the stairs, wait a couple of hours, take another 30 or so pics as she goes down the stairs, all in the hopes of catching a goofy face or a fall.

Other times, I think he’s got the scariest job in the world: http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/06/16/happy-fathers-day-youre-goin-fi ssion/

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

That’s not fair, Dave. Lamar loves his job. Of course, he has the IQ of a kangaroo, but still…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@BG – Really? That’s a higher IQ than some of the presidential hopefuls we’re seeing. Maybe Lamar should consider a career change.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

GeorgiaPeach, I don’t think being a Prince without a Kingship makes the Prince a World Leader. He may lead in being the Worlds Leader in being Goofy Looking, though!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Doc Junior joined me at the gym today, and we had a very nice talk. I reminded him of the unfinished chores I gve him to do over a year ago — world peace, solve world hunger, etc. He’s still horrified that he has acquired my sense of humor. That seems impossible to believe, doesn’t it?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

The Queen is a tough old bird. She really gets the heart rate up when she wears her lead-lined haute couture hats, enhancing her stiff upper lobes.

Michelle is saying, “hey guys, check out my pushups goofy face reflection on this floor”.

@Spin, you underestimate yourself. I think Weiner will be more than willing to show you his Downward Dog and Wide-Angle Peacock poses as long as you don’t mind him tweeting instructions to you from the next room, and if you’ll tweet back a non-disclosure agreement.

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

Yes, the queen carries weights in her handbags but what about those 30-pound hats she usually wears? Her neck must be strong enough to allow her to carry big bags of mulch or chicken feed or something on her head. Put her to work …

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

Those three pics of Queen Elizabeth and Prime Minister Cameron remind me of a cartoon I saw where Superman and the Flash had a race around the earth.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Dave

Please take it easy on President Obama. I know he has made a complete mess of things, but I don’t think he is really that dumb.

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

If thats all that Cameron does, then I guess he is good for SOMEONE!

@Doc … something like the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Last I heard Sarkozy and Berlusconi help each other out. The way they ‘handle’ things is fascinating.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

All hail Michelle O’Bama – Lizard Queen!

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Mrs Obama has the world’s pointiest elbows.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

69Spin, it’s the Guinness diet. While others cheer and mingle, she downs her drinks in a jiffy, giving her the edge in sport.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/05/26/when-life-is-just-a-beer-commer cial/

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive