Cooking with Catherine: The Barefoot Duchess?

July 4, 2011

Blog Guy, thanks for finally giving us some coverage of William and Catherine’s royal tour of Canada. We want more!

Well, Catherine did a cooking workshop at the Institut de tourisme et d’hotellerie du Quebec, in Montreal.

Whoa! Please translate that into English! The Institut de tourisme et d’hotellerie du Quebec?

My French is pretty rusty, but I’m pretty sure it means The Institutionalized Hostile Tourists.

Anyway, there appears to be some kind of “gotcha” moment going on here, judging from the finger-pointing and mocking. I gather she made a huge mistake.

Gosh, how bad could it have been?

I believe they told her to bring the ingredients to make a kiwi tart.

So? That’s a perfectly good fruit dessert.

Yes, but look more closely. You see what appears to be a can of Kiwi shoe polish?

OMG! So they had to throw the whole thing out?

Nah, she went ahead and served it. It’s Canada. They even eat poutine up there.

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, during a cooking workshop at the Institut de tourisme et d’hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal July 2, 2011. Prince William and his wife Catherine are on a royal tour of Canada from June 30 to July 8. REUTERS photos by Mathieu Belanger

shoe polish or poutine…that’s a tough decision. Can I just skip the meal?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Whatever she is carrying, isnt enough for me..
Just saying..

Really Georgia, you think that’s a tough decision? Pass the Kiwi Cordovan Paste, please…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Whew! For a second there, I thought you were going to tell me that was a can of ground New Zealander there.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Hey! As someone born in the Shaky Isles, and who still carries a New Zealand passport, I am feeling a little worried.
That can, I think, may actually be Marmite, or even Vegemite. In either case, the shoe polish would be more tasty.
As for Poutine, I have had it twice. The first time was in 2006 at the now defunct Camp Mirage, run by the Canadian military. French fries topped with garlic salt and cheese curds, grilled for a minute to melt the cheese, and finished with a ladle of chicken gravy. It was delicious. It really was very good.
The second time was in Quebec city, last year. The dish I got tasted like something that rhymes with curd. I sent it back and was asked to leave the establishment. Or possibly the province, my French isn’t that great.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

BG: I think I stayed at a place that made me become a hositle tourist. And another that could well have left me wanting to become institutionalized. I try to avoid those places as much as the Bates motel.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Wonder if that cordovan paste would make my legs look tan? Of if I used it from my feet to my knees, if it would look like I was wearing boots?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Nosmo, I am curious, how do you know what “rhymes with curd” tastes like?

Whoever knows what a word (rhymes ^) tastes like, even though our mouths are always full of them? And poutine is vulgarly sublime!

You go, Nozzy! I mean that you may leave. ===sigh===

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

Even though I’m of French-Canadian heritage, I’ve never had poutine. Sorry about that.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

@Skeres…I’m pretty sure you’d be MORE sorry if you had ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

As an immigrant, I am doubly proud of my adopted country, Canada. I’ve never tried poutine but I’m glad it’s there because it seems to have put us on the map. Many people still think we’re an icy peninsula off the States.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Maybe they’re pointing and laughing because everyone else has their hair undercover in a more hygienic manner?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Once, on a case, one of partners and I had to tour a ketchup-making facility. And we had to wear hair nets. While driving back to our offices, my partner — a very attractive, accomplished woman — touched me on the shoulder and said, in dead earnest: “I just want you to know, that is the FIRST time in my life I have EVER worn a hair net.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Gosh, Doc, the way you tell it, the woman’s comment sounds like a pick-up line. I will add it to my meagre repetoire and report back if it works.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

@ladylala, hey Canada gave birth to Mark Messier and with out Mark Messier 1994 would have never happened for the New York Rangers. For that Canada is pretty darn swell in my book.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

So, sweet Kate can be a goofy Kate :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

@Fwd – she’s part of the royal family now. I think being goofy is a prerequisite.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@Shra – If it looks like ‘curd’, has the consistency of ‘curd’, and doesn’t smell too good, then …

‘Vulgarly sublime’ – Thanks Unca. I shall store that gem away for use at another time.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Yeah fwd- was just about to comment on that but you beat me to it. Last pic is a reaaally goofy face by Catherine!! hehehe

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@GeorgiaPeach: LOL on that! :D

@Malteser: There’s no winning or beating going on here (unless I’m winning) …

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Ladylala, is this new information about yourself? So where were you born? Is lala a Belgian name, or what?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Thanks Nosmo, I almost lost my lunch there.. oh no, wait, i found it!