Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The stage is comin’ with a duchess on it!

July 8, 2011

Crap, Willy, what now? What is this thing taking us into town?

It’s a stagecoach, Duchess! Great, huh?  Conestoga wagon, prairie schooner, buckboard…

Shut up. They don’t have big limousines in Calgary?

Not so much, I guess.

Sigh. What’s on our schedule for day number 840 in Canada?

Uh, let’s see. Hey, it looks like we’re taking part in some kind of a Village People retrospective…

Jeez Louise, Willy! I thought it was gonna be FUN being the Queen!

I’ve told you, you’re not the Queen, sweetheart.

Willy, why is that man holding out that white hat?

Um, I think that’s in case you’re going to lose your lunch after the bumpy stagecoach ride…

Well, they’re very thoughtful here, I’ll say that for them…

Top: Britain’s Prince William and his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, arrive on a stagecoach wearing cowboy hats for a Canadian government reception in Calgary, Alberta, July 7, 2011.   REUTERS/Phil Noble

Left: William and Catherine pose with First Nations people Eva Meguinis (2nd R) and Gilbert Eagle Bear (2nd L) at a Canadian government reception in Calgary, Alberta July 7, 2011. REUTERS/Stringer

Right: William and Catherine are given cowboy hats by the mayor of Calgary Naheed Nenshi upon their arrival in Calgary, Alberta, July 7, 2011.  REUTERS/Todd Korol

Bottom right: Catherine smiles while meeting fans at the Calgary Stampede in Calgary, Alberta, July 7, 2011. REUTERS/Todd Korol

Comments

Nah nah… she’s sooo NOT looking good being all cowgirl…although… ;-)

*stops himself from getting all those thoughts*

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Shotgun! Where’s her shotgun? She’s in the ‘shotgun riders seat’!

How is she going to keep the stagecoach robbers at bay?

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

The man’s holding the hat, because he’s asking for a donation, obviously.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

…beg to differ, fwd. I think she looks cuter than a speckled pup in those cowboy duds. And speaking from experience (MANY ages ago, but experience nontheless), I’ve turned a few heads in my day in my own western hat.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

There’s an episode of Gunsmoke where Festus complains to Matt about the location of the human mouth. Festus articulates his idea that the mouth should be located on top of the head. He explains that he can fill his hat with breakfast and red-eye gravy, put on his hat, and just eat as he rides.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Moonshine: Okay :)

*lets all his thoughts overwhelm him*

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Is it just me, or does is there something not-too-cowboy about a guy named Naheed Nenshi.

Posted by Dbundock | Report as abusive

Anybody else notice how many white hats there are in Calgary? I think the seat of the conspiracy has been identified. Now Willie and Kate are implicated too.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

And then…there was a Mountie. Why? Just cause, that’s why.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Holy shiny face on the Dutchess, Batman!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@ifly” “just cause”–I get it.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

A Canadian ranch is just a branch of a Nowhere Junction to me.
Give me the city where the castles are pretty and the gals wear finery.

East is east and west is west
And the wrong one I have chose
Let’s go where they keep on wearin’
Those frills and flowers and buttons and bows
Sapphire rings and lots of bling and and shoes with open toes.

Don’t bury me in this prairie
Take me where the cement grows
Let’s go back to your home town
Where they love a gal by the cut o’ her clothes
And you’re goofy dad will regale ya in a kilt with lots of buttons and bows.
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/06/27/let-me-regalia-with-a-story/

I’ll love you in buckskin
Or kilts that you’ve homespun
But I’ll love ya’ longer, stronger where
Yer friends don’t tote a gun

My now royal bones denounce the buckboard bounce
And the cactus hurts my toes
Let’s vamoose where your royal grandma keeps a-wearin’
Those linen suits with coordinated hats and heels that are sensibly low
And I’m all yours in buttons and bows.

Gimme Buckingham trimmin’ where women are women
In fascinator hats and haute couture clothes
And the stench of poutine doesn’t clog my nose
And I’m all yours in buttons and bows.

I sincerely hope Grandma Liz doesn’t see these photos. I fear it might mean back to the Goring for Kate! “Commoners to the left, please.” http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/04/14/the-clampetts-are-here-your-maj esty/

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@Georgia: great take off on the song!

@Doc: I think Festus was just talking off the top of his head…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

One, Nice!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I think you’re right Dave.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

maybe Kelsey Grammer will sing to the Duchess while she’s in the states http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvAWUJCjg QE

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

The White Hat Conspiracy has gone Royal!!!!
The Apocalypse sure is here!!
We are dooooooooooooooooooomed!

Say, William (I refuse to call him anything else) looks quite dishy in that cowboy hat. Just dont take it off.