Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

The place with the mostage postage is…

July 9, 2011

Blog Guy, can you please settle a bet with my dermatologist’s sommelier?

Really? On a summer weekend I’m still settling bets for unlikely professionals?

Yes. I say all postage stamps are the same size, but he says the ones in Syria are gigantic.

Pay the man. He’s right. Look at this photo above, showing a roll of Syrian first class postage stamps with President Bashar al-Assad’s face on them.

But wait a minute. How do I KNOW those are really postage stamps?

Look at the stamp on the postcard this little girl is holding up on the right. It’s canceled and everything.

Hmmm. I don’t know. If that’s really an address in Syria on that postcard, what does it say? Do you even KNOW any addresses in Syria?

Yes. It says, “On the Road to Damascus.”

I’ll be damned, even I’ve heard of that one. When you’re right, you’re right, Blog Guy!

Top: A man holds a roll of pictures of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad during a rally in support of him at al-Umawiin square in Damascus June 21, 2011. REUTERS/Khaled al-Hariri

Right: Demonstrators wave Syrian flags during a protest against Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad at the courtyard of Fatih mosque in Istanbul June 24, 2011. REUTERS/Murad Sezer

Comments

wanted murderers on postage stamps? Hmmm…I guess that gets the word out better than the 10 Most Wanted pictures on the wall at the post office.

and I think that little girl has been sending me emails. I get several from somebody that seems to have her English language skills promising me millions of dollars. Don’t worry though, I’ll have more time to play when all that money hits my bank account!

Feeling unwanted? Join the OE Blog Network!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Thanks for explaining the roll of stamps, BG. At first glance, I thought they were a roll of Syrian designer paper towels.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Pity the poor mailman. Can you imagine the size of the mailbag he has to carry?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Wow; he’s a president AND a doctor? That’s a mother’s dream for her daughter.

What? A murderer too? Well, there’s always SOMETHING!

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Aren’t you posters all smug, sipping your coffee in your cubicles and judging the world. Good for you.

Posted by v2thej | Report as abusive

v2thej, I have an office, not a cubicle.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I actually thought that might be a roll of toilet paper….

Uh-oh, someone (@v2thej) forgot to read the tagline, and thinks this is some kind of serious blog.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Look at the title. Oddly Enough Blog

News, But Not The Serious Kind

Get your rabies shot and quit foaming at the mouth, v2thej.

Loser

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

@Skeres – you may want to add tobacco nose stuffing to the list. Or maybe that’s a mustache? http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/07/05/you-have-something-on-your-oh-n ever-mind/

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@v2thej: it’s a humor blog, for pity’s sake. We make fun of ourselves and everything else. And having said that, I now risk the wrath of Shra’s zapper! We aren’t here to learn. We are here to smile. Please come back and join us. Life is too short not to be happy (or to open your mind and heart).

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@v2thej, oh dear, Lumbergh got you to work on a Saturday huh? Ya know, I have this feeling he is going to ask you to work tomorrow too.

Sommelier eh Mr. B.? Felix Salmon would be proud! Given the punctuation on that little girls poster, the three exclamation points with a question mark I get the idea she was excited about the idea of killing people then suddenly questioned that thought. “Kill people! Wait, what?” Oh the innocent minds of children.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Also, the little girl’s poster has a pic of the dude with a red “X” through it. Underneath is a caption: “Wanted Murderer”. Given the “X” I would think the dude is not the murderer we are looking for and should just move along.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ah, politics again… :|

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

President of Syria looks disturbingly like a guy I used to work with. I was wondering what he was up to these days…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

evidently he’s been really busy, CG

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Lol, Dave, thought the very same thing. Jinx!! :D
And lo and behold, we have someone who doesnt actually READ the headlines properly.. when will people know better

my guess would be one at a time, Spin

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Welcome back Spinny!! Giddy up with a haiku now!

Brobdingnag… What a wonderful reference, Spin! You want to explain it for our readers?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, you have a lilliputian mind if you amuse yourself with baiting people to get zapped! Shame on you! :P

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Yes, you’ve all outdone yourselves, and if you want a reminder of why my commenters are the best in the business, reread these. And while you’re there, recommend the item…

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/07/12/reading-in-bed-just-got-a-lot-b etter/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive