Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

High times on the old Marijuana Plantation

July 18, 2011

Okay, here’s some interesting news. Turns out soldiers in Mexico have just discovered a huge “marijuana plantation” in the middle of a desert.

The thing covers 300 ACRES, which means the Shuttle astronauts have probably seen it from space, and yet it came as a real surprise to these local troops.

Incredible aerial photos show a gigantic patch of green, surrounded by sand. What did everybody think was growing there, cilantro?

I mean, it’s big enough to be called a PLANTATION, for Lord’s sake. That’s like Tara, and people KNEW about Tara!

* * * * * *

Say pal, do you have a restroom here I can use?

Sorry, sir, ours is out of order. Nearest one is up that road yonder, at The Plantation.

Thanks. Is it a nice big clean one?

Yessir, five stalls! Genuine porcelain! Pure luxury!

That sounds perfect. Uh, I may be up there for a while. Is there anything I need to take with me?

Oh, a trunk full of potato chips and cookies wouldn’t hurt.

Top: Restrooms are pictured at the biggest marijuana plantation found in Mexico, in San Quintin, about 220 miles from Tijuana, July 13, 2011. Mexican soldiers discovered the plantation in a remote desert surrounded by cactuses, a top army officer said. Soldiers patrolling the area found 300 acres of pot plants being tended by dozens of men.

Left: An aerial view shows the plantation.

Right: Soldiers walk through the plantation.

Bottom left: Tara from “Gone with the Wind”

REUTERS photos by Jorge Duenes

Comments

Some old snitch must have yapped..
We have had a snitch at work who spilled to the senior manager about us poor folks using the internet..so, now have to be ultra careful about getting on OE..
If I get my hands on that snitch, I am gonna dump some laxative pills in his/her coffee.

Just a question – where did they get the water from? Or are you suggesting that the public toilets provide the answer?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

No doors on the stalls? Ummm…I dunno about that.

“Hey Lonnie.”
“Hey Lamar.”
“Doin’ a twosie I see?”
“Yeah, coffee and bran muffin went right through me.”
“I hear ya bro, can I borrow the sports section?”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@Nosmo. Yuck – That’s a disgusting thought…although it does give a whole new meaning to the term “pot smoking.”

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Their sentence was: you have to smoke the entire plantation – and then we’ll let you go – that is if you’re still conscious. :-)

Posted by rigpa44 | Report as abusive

That’s a lot of shade cloth. I wonder if it’s made from hemp…

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Our Government would be smart to legalize this “recreational” drug: tax it just like alcohol and tobacco. If you wanna grow it for personal use, you’ll hafta pay for a license and go through all the bureaucratic hassle. None the less, if you want to consume cannabis you will have to register as a user and this will put the user at the discrimination of employers and loan officers etc. Personally, I feel this is a “stupid” drug and it has no benefits and makes an individual unreliable and dangerous. Ask any dedicated Pot-Head to count to 10 and to follow the plot of the even the most simple movie, conversation, music or . . .surgery. I have seen the deleterious effects of long term pot use in friends: neural impairment, renal failure and short/long term memory loss, gout, respiratory illness and really bad body odor. Regardless, legalize it, tax-it and heal the national debt!

Posted by bonzodog | Report as abusive

Perhaps they have the toilets in case they need to flush down the evidence. Although what evidence I’m not sure of.

@Nosmo: maybe they are composting toilets! I’m still wondering about the water.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Yo, BG, wanna head to White Castle? Or better yet, maybe we need to open a White Castle franchise in Mexico… Who’s in?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Mr.Pilot, I almost threw out my brekkie!
Mr.Bonzodog, thank you for visiting the blog. Since you seem new here, here’s a suggestion..
“Take a chill pill and read the headline!”

Now THAT’s an outhouse. lol

@bonzodog: Too “Oddly” enough place to be serious, dude.

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Our Spam Filter should be smart enough to legalise serious posts on this Oddly Enough Blog, but these should be taxed like alcohol and tobacco. If people still want to post serious posts, they’ll hafta pay the consequences (generally a zapping and a sarcastic reply from other members of the odd community). Personally, I think it’s stupid to post serious stuff in an odd humour blog with Goofy Face Museums and Doughnuts. Ask any member of this blog to count (let alone to 10) and you’ll probably end up with One, La, Mar,… I have seen many a serious commenter shunned by community members. Regardless, legalise such posts, so we can tax these comments and buy more doughnuts!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonzo, no offence I hope. We just kid here. Now pay your tax.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Jesus said to do unto others as we would have them to do unto us. None of us would want our child thrown in jail with the sexual predators over marijuana. None of us would want to see an older family member’s home confiscated and sold by the police for growing a couple of marijuana plants for their aches and pains. It’s time to stop putting our own family members in jail over marijuana.
The current proposal before Congress, bill HR 2306, will allow states to decide how they will regulate marijuana. Email your Congressperson and Senators at http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml   and ask them to sign on as a CO-SPONSOR of HR 2306.
For more info, here’s the USA Today article
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ onpolitics/post/2011/06/ron-paul-barney- frank-marijuana-/1
And a big THANK YOU to the courageous, freedom-loving legislators, governors, and countless others who are working so hard to bring this through! You’re doing a great patriotic service for all of America!

Posted by Parent | Report as abusive

when did the head shop get free WI-Fi?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Oh my… now we even have a Parent here.

Yes, Shra, but we have a “parent” who thinks hizzer stoner parents grow pot for their “aches and pains.” That was a good one! And quoting Jesus to further legislation to get stoned. Priceless!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Note to self: Try to avoid blogging about marijuana. It attracts a stranger than usual group of commenters…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I think it IS ‘high time’ to stop writing about pot BG, you’re right. Now, anybody got a light?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Hmm… had forgotten you used the “high time” pun in your headline. Oh well, I thought I’d take a crack at it anyway.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive