Hey look! I think it’s money!

July 20, 2011

Blog Guy, I’m going on vacation soon to that brand-new country, South Sudan, and I need some of your famous travel advice. Should I convert my dollars here, or wait until I get there?

I think you’ll have to do it there. They only introduced their currency a couple of days ago.

Really? What did they do for money before that?

I guess they just owed each other. I mean, it’s a great excuse if you think about it. “Jeez, I’d like to pay you for this tuna fish and these flip-flops, but unfortunately, money doesn’t exist yet.”

So now that the South Sudan Pound does exist, what is it worth?

My guess would be absolutely nothing, but that’s just a rough estimate.

Anything special I should know about the local currency customs?

Yeah, it appears from our photos that it’s polite to make a big show of money over there. In the bank, makes sure lots of folks see you get your cash. Then, when you come outside, fan out your bills and smile enthusiastically.

Gosh, doesn’t that attract robbers?

Top: A man from South Sudan displays new currency notes outside the Central Bank of South Sudan in Juba, July 18, 2011. South Sudan started rolling out its new currency on Monday — the South Sudan Pound — escalating a point of simmering disagreement with Khartoum after the country split away from the north on July 9. REUTERS/Benedicte Desrus

Right: South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir receives new currency notes from a bank teller at the Central Bank of South Sudan in Juba, July 18, 2011.

Left: Men from South Sudan display new currency notes outside the Central Bank of South Sudan in Juba, July 18, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Benedicte Desrus

That’s some bad hat, Harry

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I say, the guy in the second photo shares your Mystery Questioner’s thoughts.. why else would he get guards to a bank?

Love the idea of matching your money to your outfit! I’d like that in twenties and tens, and can you make them kind of a turquoise-y blue with maybe some coral accents?

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

That second picture looks a bit like a new take on a western-style movie about to go very wrong.

Posted by sarabelle | Report as abusive

I’ll bet no one in that country refers to money as “dead Presidents” yet.

In that country, it’s all about the Mayardits. :)

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

I like someone getting what they deserve. :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

“I wouldn’t worry. If they’ve only had money for two days, robbery probably hasn’t become a profession yet.” Perhaps not but from the appearance of the first pic it looks like pimpin’ has.
@GeorgiaPeach, I would annoy my ex-girlfriend by saying that after every episode of House we watched together. I am sure it’s a part of the reason she is an ex. :p

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Spin, counterfeiters should consider counterfeiting one of the U.S. Treasury Department trillion-dollar coins that’s being contemplated in the blogosphere and proposed as a solution to the debt-ceiling crisis. They just deposit one coin with the Federal Reserve and — voila — the FR pays them a trillion dollars. Of course, with that modified quanitative-easing plan, before you know it, you’ll need a couple trillion-dollar coins to buy a soda, but that’s way down the road, right? And the U.S. could erase it’s debt with the price of a 12-pack! What could go wrong?

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

What impresses me here is that the POSS actually stands in line to get cash at the bank. Never seen a shot of a POTUS doing that. Eating hotdogs, kissing babies, yes.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Flaunt your prosperity…join the OE Blog Network!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

check out that dude’s pinkie fingernail in photo #1
EWWWWWWWWW

maybe he should use some of his recently acquired wealth for a manicure…

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@Spin – I believe that the bank got the plates for the money from the counterfeiters to begin with…

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Heaven help them. Monetary policy is now inevitable. Monetary policy is, like Russia, “a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.” With a nod to Winston Churchill

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Yes, Spinster,there is monetary policy. It’s not always good policy. Maybe, instead of a riddle etc., it’s more like how did the garbage people know the garbage can I put out for trash was garbage.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Georgia, that pinkie fingernail comes in handy when nicking money off other people’s hands, as they flaunt it..
Now its here, now its not!