The hot new pet for the rich and famous?

July 21, 2011

Blog Guy, what’s the latest “in” pet for celebrities to have? Are they still carrying those tiny dogs in their purses?

No, small dogs are SO over! These days, the rich and famous go everywhere with their pet lobsters, as you can see here with the Duchess of Cambridge, Sarah Palin, Martha Stewart…

Lobsters? They’re not very cute.

That’s your opinion. But for today’s celebs, a big perk is getting their lobster paid for by the studio or whatever. Many have a claws in their contracts.

I’ll ignore that. When did lobsters suddenly become so popular?

After that incredible one in Germany predicted the World Cup results last year.

Blog Guy, that wasn’t even a lobster, it was an octopus!

What do I look like, an ornithologist? The point is, they’re easy to care for, especially if your property is partially submerged.

This is just getting totally stupid. What if I get one and it turns out I can’t keep it? Is there a place that will take it and give me some money?

Sure. Just take it downtown to any prawn shop….

Top: Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, takes part in cooking workshop at the Institut de tourisme et d’hotellerie du Quebec in Montreal July 2, 2011. REUTERS/Mathieu Belanger

Left: Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin holds up a lobster as her daughter Piper looks on during a visit to Yankee Seafood Cooperative in Seabrook, New Hampshire June 2, 2011. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

Bottom left: Martha Stewart cooks lobster at a demonstration during the Wine and Food Festival in Miami Beach, Florida February 21, 2009. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

Spin, yeah, they need to come out of their shell, bare all, and then be clamped by their own claws!

Says the Duchess: “I’m gonna eat ya! Oh yes I am! With melted butter you will be delicious! Enjoy the last moments of your life before I get my nom on lobster. Muah ha ha ha!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

…love the headline, BG…”hot” pet. Although in the pics, only Ms. Martha has a hot pet…or maybe it’s just really, really embarrassed.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

I can be lobster for Kate…

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Another trip down memory lane…I remember when my dad brought home lobsters for dinner and we kids raced them on the kitchen floor until it was time to cook ‘em. Little did we know what would happen next!!

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

A haiku for the conflicted:

Boiled alive may be
a lobsters finest hour but
it is not his choice

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

I noticed that Kate and Miss Sarah had the live lobsters, while Martha had the … well, how do I put this delicately … the *cooked* lobster.

Because it wasn’t a rock …

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

@Spin, see the look in the eyes of the Duchess? Oh, she is going to nom that lobster something fierce!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Wow, jclimacus, you write just like the Earl of Oxford…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nice try, Bard Boy. You think Shra isn’t just waiting for that? All that glisters is not gold – sometimes it’s a taser.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@jclimacus, that and the benjamins. One being a means to the other of course. And a tip of the hat to your verse! No “schmutzing of thy pretty face..” indeed! :)

glisters (verb): an item that glistens with such intensity that it blisters the eye of one who should peer up it. “The sprinkles on that doughnut glisters in the flourescent light of the break room.”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, did you photoahop those blue rectangles on?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Well, this is just about the most sophisticated day of commenting in the history of this blog. Remember, tomorow, every comment in Middle English….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

CrowGirl, no, I wish I had thought of photoshop. Painfully, I applied them by hand….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@jclimacus, you’ve amazed and delighted us! Thanks!

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

okay, I recognize a Jane Austen reference when I see one, and I’ll take my tasing like a man…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@JC and Spin – AWESOME! Good job!

Middle English, BG? Sorry but I’m strictly “American by birth and Southern by the grace of God” ;)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I have a lobster for a pet. Unca Daddy Rastus Timmaaay wants me to make it take a bath in boiling water, but UDRT isn’t fooling me!

And no melted butter for soothing the carapace of my boiled/sunburnt pet! Oh, and his name Is Lobby!

Posted by GeorgeCrab | Report as abusive

Georgia, you may choose some other kind of English, then.
Unca, you’re not fooling anybody.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well, an interesting day of comments, definitely. I have to go back to the post – “claws in their contracts. I’ll ignore that.” Classic, just classic. We will never ignore you BG. Abuse you, maybe, but not ignore you.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Gosh, you guys just render moi speechless…
Such creativity!
BG, you gotta have a section in the GF museum for all the works of JC and Spin!!
All budding poets and haikuists, welcome!!

Be a Bard, join the OE Blog network!

Thanks for asking, Spin, and let me clarify that. Pets are indeed welcome in any venture I am a part of. People may be another story….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I know, Spin…
I have it on good authority that Kate’s pet is named “Alfie,” Sara’s is “Grizz” and Martha’s is plain old “Lobstah…with clarified Butter, of course.”

If I can’t bring my pet lobster to the GFMDS, I’ll be there after lunch.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

And make sure you name him/her something pretttttty cool..

Be a hip bunch, get your friends and join the OE Blog network!

[...] 1. The hot new pet for the rich and famous? [...]

[...] Blog Guy. Here you can see him cracking up during a recording session, trying to deliver the line, “What do I look like, an ornithologist?” He just loved the [...]