You’re kidding me, right? Right?

July 28, 2011

Blog Guy, everybody knows you give the best travel advice. I’m out of my mind, like totally nuts, and I’m looking for a good vacation spot.

Have you been to that viewing platform I wrote about in the Bavarian Alps?

Of course. Opening day.

How about The Ledge at the Sears Tower in Chicago?

Been there.

That walkway over the Grand Canyon?

Done it four times.

Jeez. Hmmm. Are you willing to go to Canada?

Sure! I did mention that I’m nuts, right?

Then you should try this new tourist attraction at the CN Tower in Toronto, where you can traipse around an open-mesh metal walkway almost a quarter of a mile above the ground. There’s no guard rail.

Whoa! There’s nothing holding you?

Yeah, there’s a thin strap, for whatever that’s worth. I know some folks who did it, and they’re crazy, too.

Thank you, Blog Guy! That sounds like just what I’m looking for! What should I wear?

Everybody wears jumpsuits. Bright red, presumably so as not to alarm pedestrians so much when you hit the sidewalk.

Say, they don’t have any kind of silly rules or regulations there, do they?

I understand you have to take a breathalyzer test, and they sweep you for explosives.

What? I have to be sober and I can’t take my grenades with me? Those Canadians just don’t understand fun, do they?

Photo blog on the EdgeWalk

Top: A reporter leans over the edge of the catwalk during the media preview for the “EdgeWalk” on the CN Tower in Toronto, July 27, 2011. Participants are strapped in to a harness that is attached to a guard rail while walking around the catwalk on the structure 1,168 feet off the ground.

Right: Reporters walk on the edge of the catwalk.

Left: Feet are seen in a view from the catwalk.

Bottom right: Lightning strikes the CN Tower during a thunderstorm in Toronto May 29, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Mark Blinch

Wouldn’t it be even more of a thrill if customers could try this DURING a thunderstorm? I’m sure it would be an “in-lightning” experience.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

They have way too much protection for something like that…
I say, remove the SHOES!

Sorry to say, I am unable to participate any further in this particular post…my stomach is rolling just looking at the pics. But before I go, have you seen the swimming pool on the 10th floor of the Joule Hotel in Dallas? http://vi.sualize.us/view/13c8a4005469eb ab0f8799fdc04e0cba/

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Oh, sure! I’d gladly put my neck into a noose a quarter of a mile up in the air, and then tiptoe out onto the ledge. Who wouldn’t want to do that?

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

It would be raining poutine on the poor crowd below, that’s all I gotta say.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Thanks ifly. We may have just hit rock bottom, comments-wise.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Does that mean that Ifly would be releasing his own ‘grenades’ while doing the Edgewalk?

See, we hadn’t hit rock bottom at all. We have much further to fall yet.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Not according to Mr. Spam Filter, we don’t….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I know you’re kidding about the team-building retreat, but it’s a good idea. It’s about time for me to take Lamar and the gang for something like that. I checked, it’s not even that expensive if you go for the cheapest tether option and everybody shares the same one….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Extremely dangerous :|

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

Mother-in-law: So you just lean back like this and it’s such an exhilarating feeling!

Daughter-in-law: You mean like this? Oh you’re so right! It’s awesome! I feel so free!

Mother-in-law: Just close your eyes and feel the breeze through your hair! Hang on a sec…lemme adjust that strap for you…..

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHA!

Daughter-in-law: Did you just laugh maniacally?

Mother-in-law: What? No. I don’t know what you’re talking about.

Daughter-in-law: Oooooh! What is this red button on your buckle for?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHA!

Mother-in-law: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

Posted by justK | Report as abusive

I’m with Moonshine. I got vertigo at the first picture and checked out, so your always pungent and news-breaking blog goes unread today.

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

“Sure! I did mention that I’m nuts, right?”… excellent!

I wonder what would be in the 12-page waiver they have to sign? Things like…

Check this box to confirm that you’re an idiot.
Enter EFT number here for transfer of your bank funds to us.

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

Who, me? Whatnow?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Can we send all of Congress to Canada to enjoy this spectacular view…PLEASE?

If Kanye went to check it out, would it go something like this, “Imma let you
F
I
N
I
S
H
!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@Crow: sort of like wing walking, on a non moving object.

Now that I’ve seen the photos, I am happy to be on the ground, and not in a lightning storm.

@BG: it’s more like hitting the bargain basement than rock bottom. Got to wonder if those jump suits remain clean in between tourist use. Some folks might get the poutine scared out of them…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Every time it rains, it rains poutine from heaven!

So when you hear it thundering, don’t run under a tree,
that falling red jumpsuit just might be me! (Not)

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

so…who do you think would make the best goofy face: Hilary? Sarah?

:P Be brave, take the plunge…join the OE Blog Network! :P

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@Nosmo, you wanna go halvsies on the patent for poutine grenades?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Mr. Pilot & OneDoor – poutine is nasty enough without being recycled

poutine projectiles plunging from the platform past petrified people peering from the portals, praying for the pedestrians. Poor, poor pedestrians. :(

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Sober? No grenades? What kind of boring tourist attraction is that? So I wonder if they sell poutine in the 495th floor restaurant in that building….

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Ok, I think poutine grenades wouldn have done it for me…
E will not be pleased.

Team-building at work today: Blood Drive. O positively silly, and I wonder if anyone ever wakes up after a transfusion of my blood with a craving to read the OE Blog?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

People talking about poutine makes me happy…aaaaah poutine! One of my favourite subjects!

The trick is, of course, to save the eating of poutine (aaaah poutine!) for AFTER the death-defying mesh-walk. A sort of ‘reward’ for surving.

:D

E.

Posted by egeria | Report as abusive

@E – Some would argue that Poutine constitutes not so much a reward, but somthing more along the lines of ‘cruel and unusual punishment’.

Unless it’s from Chez Aston in Quebec City, of course. then it actually constitutes being called food.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

E I love poutine a smile on your face! :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Mr. Pilot..you punslinger!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Oh Crow, Spin just said what all of us were thinking…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive