You kids, cut that out!

August 2, 2011

Blog Guy, we all know you work with Lamar and your two dogs and two cats, but you hardly ever mention the rest of your blog staff. Give us some information about them.

There’s Ray, the typesetter, Duke, who runs the printing presses, there’s Wall Guy, there’s Kelli the photo editor, there’s Julie, our technical…

Wait a second. Stop. Wall Guy?

Sure, the goofy old guy who appears at the hole in the wall at our office and makes sure everybody’s working hard.

You have a hole in your office wall?

Of course. It would be pretty hard to see Wall Guy if we didn’t have the hole, now wouldn’t it?

I don’t even know where you want me to to go with this. What is Wall Guy saying in that picture?

He’s telling our summer interns to stop window-surfing before somebody gets hurt… Say, weren’t you even a little surprised to hear that we need a typesetter and printing presses for my blog?

No, that sounds just about right.

Top: An internally displaced Afghan man talks from a small window at a refugee camp in Kabul, July 28, 2011. REUTERS/Omar Sobhani

Left: Competitors pull a fellow participant on a stretcher from an abandoned industrial building during the annual “School of Survival” endurance and rescue competition near the village of Starye Diatlovichi, some 200 miles southeast of Minsk, February 23, 2011. REUTERS/Vasily Fedosenko

Right: My dogs and cats.

School of Survival? Fuel up the Wine-A-Bego!!! We gotta check that out :P

BG, can your furkids come out and play?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I LOOOOVE your doggies.. Sorry, not much of a cat person, though I do like Garfield..
How far is this School from Wackytown?
Mr. Wall Guy sure looks furious there kids! Come on, let’s ring his doorbell again.. teeheehee!

I guess “Wall Guy” has replaced the portrait that had the removable eyes so someone behind the portrait could watch what was going on in a room.

Personally, I look at wall guy and think of “Life Of Brian”. But, that’s just me.

Posted by skeres | Report as abusive

Oh, so that’s what the Wall Guy does. I thought he was the OE version of Grandpa Jones. You know….

“Hey Wall Guy, what’s for supper?”
Wall Guy: “Oh, we’ve got all of the OE Blog Favorites: Poutine, Head Lard, Lobstah, Carrots with Shtick, Butter Burgers, “Something That Rhymes with Curd” and for dessert, you guessed it – plenty of doughnuts with extra sprinkles.”

(Maybe my “Hee Haw” reference is a bit obscure. Apologies if so.)

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Head lard. Ummmmmmmmm, makes me hungry just to think about it, Moonshine…
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/07/19/baby-were-goin-out-for-head-lar d/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

It’s not just the moveable type, jclimacus. People like the blog’s goofy wood-block etchings, too…. We’re very 17th century….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hey thanks, guys. You all get the references to a TV show that went off the air last century. That should sure impress any potential sponsors checking out my demographics…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Hey, BG, don’t tell me YOU never had a TV set with rabbit-ear antennas and little balls of tin foil crumpled up on the ends….

Tell your potential sponsors that the Official State of the Industry OE Blog Survey reports a very discerning demographic with plenty of influence and buying power. At least that’s how I feel after my daily medi-donughts.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@spin: Yep, the Wall Guy’s my Pa. Didn’t mention it before in case Mr B was accused of nepotism, but yes, he gave my dad a job. Thanks for spotting the resemblance. Wait til you meet Ma. She’s on the adding machine in accounting.

@Moonshine: “Heehaw” was and remains a cultural treasure. Remember that old guy that every week offered to read us a letter which was “right next to his heart…heart…heart” and then he’d pat himself down until he found it in his back pocket? I tell ya, the genius is gone out of comedy today.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Okay, just let the record show that I watched some of the worst television ever made while growing up, and I managed to get through the entire run of Hee Haw without ever seeing an episode. Something tells me I didn’t miss anything.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You can have your Elvis sightings! I think the Wall Guy is really one of the Hole in the Wall Gang! Butch? Sundance???

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Worryingly Spin, I read that as you considered synchronised stalking…

Always nice to see a picture of Crazy Eddie. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

“An internally displaced Afghan man…”. What does that mean? Should he not be in that room or something? Did he go to the kitchen for a snack and end up in the washroom instead? I want answers people and I want them on my desk by the end of the day! The mayor’s really breathing down my neck on this one!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Iflydaplanes….you’re reading my mind…or you’re having a real good conversation with teh voices…

Posted by warpeddove | Report as abusive

You tell your mayor to look up Google, Mr.Pilot.. I am having no teaching/learning on this blog..
I am sure PaLala would agree with me.. his admonishings have almost the same effect as my taser..

@BG, we lived way out in the sticks and only got TV reception on two channels, so there weren’t a lot of options. Besides that, it was easy to relate to that barnyard humor….

@LadyLaLa, Yep, the comic genius is definitely AWOL these days. Who could forget “Where, oh where are you tonight?”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIw9waVI- m8&feature=grec_index

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@Moonshine: Thanks for the youtube link, Buddy! Yep, that’s one memorable chorus: “You met another and PFFFFT you wuz gone.” The poignant shock of betrayal and abandonment, the soul-bruising realization. It gets to me, can’t help it.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

@warpeddove, oh my gawd the voice in my head is actually another person! And not surprisingly warped also! Well hey, nice to meet you! :D

@Shra, but..but how will we ever know what becomes of the internally displaced man? Shall he be doomed to wander around internally forever, never finding the kitchen to get those sweet sweet doughnuts?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Spin – if there IS a puppeteer, where did he put his hand?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive