Sometimes the blog just writes itself…

August 6, 2011

Okay, these numbers just make no sense to me. The latest New York Times/CBS News Poll shows that 82 percent of Americans now disapprove of the way Congress is handling its job.

So wait. You’re telling me that 18 percent of Americans DO approve of how they’re doing? Seriously?

Where the hell are they finding these people? Sensory deprivation tanks? Institutions for the criminally insane? Astronauts just back from the Space Station?

Are these approvers really just thankful that they haven’t yet received a photo of their congressman shirtless, or worse?

The only other explanation I can think of is that this 18 percent were really just engaging in sarcasm. “Oh yeah, I totally approve of how Congress is handling stuff.”

Let’s think about this. Four members of Congress have resigned already this year for personal scandals too stupid to mention here, and that’s not even connected to the ongoing debt fiasco.

Listen to me. If you are one of these congressional approvers, come forward.

We can get you help. We can pray the YEA away.

Meanwhile, to protect the rest of us from this tiny but disturbing minority that still approves of Congress, perhaps we need one of those laws like the ones where sex offenders are required to tell their neighbors about themselves.

“Hello, I’m your new neighbor, and I must inform you that I approve of the way Congress is… Hello? Hello? Can you at least let me finish?”

Top: U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-NY) pauses as he announces that he will resign from the United States House of Representatives during a news conference in Brooklyn, New York, June 16, 2011. Weiner resigned on Thursday over a weeks-long Internet sex scandal, succumbing to bipartisan calls for him to step down. REUTERS/Mike Segar

Right: U.S. Senator John Ensign (R-NV) is seen as he announces he will not seek another term in 2012 during a news conference at the Lloyd George Federal Building in Las Vegas, Nevada, in this March 7, 2011 file photo. Ensign will resign from the U.S. Senate on May 3, he announced in a statement on April 21, 2011. REUTERS/Las Vegas Sun/Steve Marcus/Files

Left: Incoming House Speaker John Boehner becomes emotional and cries, wiping tears from both his eyes, as he takes to the podium for the first time after being elected Speaker on the opening day of the 112th United States Congress on Capitol Hill in Washington, January 5, 2011. REUTERS/Jim Young

maybe 18% just misunderstood the question. The good news is 82% are as mad as hell and not going to take this anymore.

Don’t get mad, get even. Join the OE Blog Network!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@BG: the blog may write itself; if only it could right Congress.

Peace, love and doughnuts.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

I think that 18% of the population works for the government.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Narcicism is thriving in U.S.public life.

Posted by coyotle | Report as abusive

I heard that New Yorkers Anthony Weiner and Eliot Spitzer were getting their own show on CNN…The Weiner-Spitzer Show. Coming for Oktober Fest.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

“Sometimes”?

I think that 18% makes up 95% of the voting populace who put these jerks into office in the first place. But then again, it’s been noted that 90% of all statistics are fabricated about 75% of the time. Or something.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Still, they wear nice ties. I think the 18% is the fashion vote.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Those crazy or clueless 18 percent are sure not government workers. I doubt those 37,000 government workers laid off in June and the 4,000 caught up in the FAA funding debacle have anything but bad, bad thoughts about Congress and thet revenge they’d like to take. Of course, there are always elections…

Posted by slick9 | Report as abusive

“The only other explanation I can think of is that this 18 percent were really just engaging in sarcasm.”

The survey version of slow-clapping!

Posted by MissyDisco | Report as abusive

Wait wait wait waaaaaiiiit a gee golly minute! There is stuff too stupid to mention on this blog?

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yeah, sorry you had to learn about it this way, ifly…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nice MissyDisco. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Indeed. Thanks for dropping by today, Missy….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

How polls work breaking report

poll taker Hucklefutz, man my boss want me to do what? To see if congress is doing a good job?

Lets see here is my last poll…..Sunset old timers home hmmmm I guess I can do that here in blueberry county that isn’t too hard.

brrring Ms. Johnson shes 102 and still going strong
Ms. Johnson: yes dear
Huckleftuz: do you like the way things are going in congress?
Ms Johnson: yes dear, what did you say?
Hucklefutz: thats one
Hucklefutz: ol man Smith,do you like congress and the job they are doing?
ol man Smith: congress? they just cut off smitties meds heck no!
Hucklefutz: thats a no
Hucklefutz: lady patrick do you like and support congress and the job they are doing?
Lady Patrick: no dear i cant support them my suport hose just cant take it.
Hucklefutz: thats a no
Hucklefutz: 2 no’s and a yes
Hucklefutz: Mrs. Maime do you like the job congress is doing?
Mrs Maime: Them sons a bi***es
Hucklefutz guess that’s a no
Hhucklefutz: Thomas do you like the way congres is handling things in Washington?
Thomas: I suppose if you like watching 2 little old ladies belly ache about the others grass and who’s greener.
Hucklefutz: I guess thats a no.
I guess the boss wont mind 1 yes and 4 no’s out of 5
thats 20% plus or minus 2 percent. Ill call it in and go fishing my buddy Lamar seems to have all the great fishin spots to go and fresh doughnuts.

meanwhile Biggie news corp gets the hot new numbers from Hucklefutz’s boss and we have headline news

Posted by Wheelz2 | Report as abusive

Tks for sharing, Wheelz2. BTW I hacked into your voice mail today and your mom wants you to call her…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Georgia… would you agree to
“Dont get mad.. Get everything!” :)

@Shra – since we’re talking about Congress, how about “get good & mad…then get rid of everyone”

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive