Is everybody happy? Louder!

August 11, 2011

Blog Guy, I know you keep up with the various charities of the power elite. Somebody told me about a youth program Secretary of State Hillary Clinton supports, and I don’t think they got it quite right.

I imagine you’re talking about Sullen Young Ballplayers.

Yeah, that was the name of it alright. Tell me about it.

Not much to tell. Once a week her staff brings her a bunch of unhappy young people who would rather be somewhere else, and forces them to meet with her.

Clinton tries to cheer them up by telling rousing baseball anecdotes. It never works.

And all these kids are unhappy?

Yeah, you know, sullen, morose, irritable, petulant, resentful, what have you.

Blog Guy, it scares me to ask where you might be going with this, but I have to. Why are they unhappy?

Are you kidding? They were dragged away from their baseball game to be here!

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (C) talks to the media next to baseball Hall of Famer Cal Ripken, Jr. during a meeting with Japanese youth baseball and softball players at the State Department in Washington August 9, 2011. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

Looks to me like they’re wondering who that crazy old lady is, and where the Krispy Kreme doughnuts are that they were promised.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Wow. I’ve heard about things like this, but oh the humanity!

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Yeah, first you get them away from the baseball game and then you take them away from their country!
They didnt even have a chance to pack their Nintendos!!

Clinton better watch out, she is getting a few Evil Eyes..

…and poor Cal Ripken looks just about as sullen, morose, irritable, petulant, resentful as the rest of the players. He’s the PERFECT coach for the Sullen Young Ballplayers. Rah, rah, whatever….

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

BTW, in the second photo, is Hillary preggers?

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

Dear Hilly:

If you cannot afford a professional stylist, tune in to What Not to Wear on TLC. Seriously…when you carry extra weight in your hips, a jacket over your butt is not a good look. Get a better bra (the girls should be closer to your shoulder than your elbow). The hair…I don’t know WHAT to do, but do something!

signed,
just trying to help :)

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Preggers with her second dozen chocolate glazed, maybe.

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Georgia, bang on advice there, sistah!
Maybe the girls dont want to look at her, for exactly the same reason…

First pic, second dude from right, and the second dude from left, or the dude in the middle that is…

Is he practising for the napping competitions?

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/08/10/you-snooze-you-lose-not-this-ti me/

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Hillary bores even Japanese, now that’s something :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

You realise of course that the young folks in these pictures aren’t actually baseball players.
They’re actually from the second-string cheer squad for a team backed by a large accountancy company, and this is about as excited as they are allowed to get.
Shortly after these photos, they unleashed their reknowned cheer:
2,4,6,8
Watch our team matriculate.
Taxforms! Ledgers!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

I was going to guess that the kids didn’t speak English, thus were dozing off, but I think almost everyone in Japan has some English these days. Maybe just jet lag, or they are actually the All-Star Sleeping Team.

I like Hilly a lot, but she never gets the wardrobe thing or the humor thing. She is purportedly really funny in person, but I always think of her painful attempt at a New York accent sometime ago. And she does joke about her clothes now and then, so she may just not care, which is admirable in a way.

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

Ok look, I know people might be mad at me for saying this. Call me narrow minded, intolerant and such but I am willing to bear that responsibilty to get this off my chest. I really don’t think sports should be united. I am sorry but I don’t. Can you really imagine skating down the rink, trying to dribble a basketball, kicking a goal for Manchester United, all while David Diehl tried to tackle you? It would just be awkward. Listen, all sports are special in their own way and they all have a right to be enjoyed but I just feel we should enjoy them seperately. As nature intended. Keep ‘em seperate. Thank you.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Ifly, thank God you didn’t include Polo in the description you just said. I just wonder how I would last more than a minute with rugby players and horses on the same pitch with figure skaters and soccer players! To say nothing of the potential hazards that a certain Tiger Woods would pose on all involved if he’s given some free time to play in tandem.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive