Politicians and their pork…

August 12, 2011

Blog Guy, can you settle a bet I have with my bartender’s pedicurist?

More bets between random unlikely professions, huh? What is it this time?

That Republican presidential candidate, Mitt Romney. Has he ever seen a porkchop?

You know, I don’t think so.  In these photos from the Iowa State Fair he’s eating a grilled porkchop on a stick, and it looks for all the world like he’s about one bite away from chewing the napkin.

That would be quite a gaffe, wouldn’t it?

I suppose, although it couldn’t be any goofier than this other Iowa shot, of Romney holding an ear of corn.

The one you’ve already used 460 times in your blog in two months?

That’s the one.

Say, Blog Guy, why do you have a picture of Wilbur, the plucky little pig from “Charlotte’s Web,” in this post?

It’s just a random selection. Does there need to be a reason for everything?

Top and right: U.S. Republican presidential candidate and former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney greets people while holding a grilled pork chop on a stick at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, Iowa, August 11, 2011. REUTERS/Jim Young

Left: Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney looks at an ear of a corn during his visit to AgVision Agriculture Software in Ankeny, Iowa May 27, 2011. REUTERS/Brian C. Frank

Bottom right: Wilbur the pig walks the red carpet at the premiere of “Charlotte’s Web” in Los Angeles, December 10, 2006. The movie tells the story of Wilbur the pig as he tries to escape from his pen before the end of the season. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

This reminds me of Jeff Dunham, but he had a Jalapeno…on a stick!

Anyone else a fan here? Last I heard one of his puppets (Walter) wanted to be the next POTUS.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

I guess having an actual puppet for prez would be much more honest. We could see who is working him/her.

or even better…BG, why don’t you throw your hat in the ring? I’d vote for you! Caustic wit in the White House (instead of a nitwit)

Baz/Lamar in 2012. Eugene “Toilet Head” Johnson and Hulga as part of your cabinet. Shra as head of security. You already have your own fleet of planes, so you’d save the taxpayers millions! A medi-sprinkled donut on every plate.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Malt, I loooooove Jeff Dunham and Ackhmed!! :)
Man, that act never fails to make me laugh…
Georgia, gee thanks! Well, atleast that way I get to visit the US.. :)

…remember that old High School Cheer?
Pork chop, pork chop,
Greasy, greasy.
We can beat your team,
Easy, easy….

Baz/Lamar in 2012!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Brilliant, Georgia! BG, can I be head of the Air Force? I wanna fly one of those kewl jets.

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Mitt Romney seems to have trouble correctly identifying food, and then working out what to do with it.
Well, what do you expect for a guy who’s named after a breed of sheep.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Come on, doesn’t anyone remember Pigasus running for POTUS, back in 1968?

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

At least no one has made a fat joke about the bald guy. And for the second day in a row, a sullen Japanese kid staring in the direction of an American politician.

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Hey, Nosmo,
It’s probably only me and CrowGirl who got the ovine reference…
…and Unca, does this mean I can get my “Don’t blame me, I voted for Pigasus” T-shirt out of mothballs?

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Hmmmmmm, that does sound familiar, jclimacus. What was the name of that book again?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Deliverance?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

In that top photo, I think that Mitt is about to have something bust out of his chest just like in Alien.

Whatever being pops out of there, I’m guessing it will say “Don’t touch…. the hair!”

Posted by flamenquito | Report as abusive

Wrong answer, justcam. Saved yourself from a tasing….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Romney’s is also a brand of Kendal Mint Cake.

It takes Wilbur the Pig an entire season to break out of his pen? He’s rubbish! My lot could teach him a thing or too. Well, they could if they weren’t out in the next field nibbling the new silage…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@Malt – Jeff Dunham was at one of our corp events in St Louis. Shra’s mention of Ackhmed made me remember. Jeff is very funny.

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

@jclimacus: don’t let them lord it over you. Fly off into your own little island. Maybe Gilligan’s Island. I am sure I don’t know the reference, either. Much prefer to stay unzapped for the weekend.

You brought home the bacon
You brought us a smile
Time to enjoy a doughnut
And read the blog for a while!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Nosmo: alas, I don’t know sheep (another s word can easily replace the word sheep…). Just have my little stuffed one and she’s staying safely with me!

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Malteser, I would definitely be a dumbass and vote for Walter for President! :D

@justCAM, you can be the head and I will be the arms then all we need is legs and we can form Voltron!

Wilbur as a pig is adorable. As bacon he is delicious.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

@ifly – exactly. mmmmmmmmm, BACON!

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

[...] mean, sure, Romney ate a porkchop on a stick, but nobody really put it on the line like Bachmann [...]

Thanks for the sentiment, Georgia, but don’t forget this:
http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enough/20 11/06/13/up-high-down-low-too-slow/

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Walter for POTUS! I wonder whether his relationship with the then First Lady would improve! From what I’ve seen so far, it’s not that great right now.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

[...] please! More random bets between unlikely random professions? What does this coin collector [...]