Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Michele Bachmann, the wurst winner ever?

August 14, 2011

“I am Ioway born and bred, and on Ioway corn I’m fed…” **

Hey Blog Guy, so Michele Bachmann won that Iowa thing. What do you think swung it her way?

Are you serious? She ate a corn dog in public. How could anybody top that?

I mean, sure, Romney ate a porkchop on a stick, but nobody really put it on the line like Bachmann did.

I don’t believe I’m familiar with corn dogs. What’s in them?

I suppose it’s a mixture of corn and dog, but don’t hold me to that. It’s just a guess.

Ewwwwwwwwwww! Grossssssss!

I do know there is no way to eat one with a shred of human dignity remaining intact. Before you even take a bite you have to squirt mustard on it and make a goofy face, so it’s a serious commitment.

You really think it’s that big a deal?

It’s a game-changer. Look at her. She’s now the Lucy Riccardo of the Republican race, and everybody loves Lucy…

Republican presidential candidate and Minnesota Congresswoman Michele Bachmann reacts as she puts mustard on a corn dog at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines, Iowa August 12, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Daniel Acker

** Lyrics from “All I Owe Ioway,” from “State Fair”

Comments

photo #2 should definitely earn votes from half the population

sorry, I can’t believe this is the Iowa State Fair without seeing a photo of the butter cow or the butter bull. Yes, I have been to the Iowa Fair, and saw the butter cow being sculpted :D

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

Geez. That second picture….. Nope, nothing I can say about it that would make it past Mr. Spam Filter.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Thanks for being enough of a gentleman to realize that, Dave.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Maybe Newsweek magazine will put that photo on its cover…

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

From the first face she was making, it was more like the Worst Wiener then the Wurst Winner.

And now I will refrain from further comment as I am sure the, ahem, genlemen will have plenty to say. Whether or not Mr. Spam approves is another matter.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Sometimes, a corn dog is just a corn dog.

Must go now…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

In fairness, Mr. Spam Filter brought in two extra staffers today to handle the expected overflow….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Okay two words: Iowa caucus..

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Hey cmar6 can you please send your comment again? I’m not sure you punched the button on it enough times.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nah cmar6, no one who can eat a corn dog like that is “seemingly frail”.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

NO, NO, NO! BG, urban legend has it that if you say that 3 times while looking in the mirror, you immediately begin publicly denouncing people for doing exactly what you and your family have been doing for years.

Baz/Lamar in 2012…Join the OE Blog Network!

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

I CANT BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING! comes to mind. I saw another heart attack on a stick little fluff 1 pound of butter on a stick battered deep fried and drenched in a vanilla glaze. What will these fair park hawkers come up with next?

Posted by Wheelz2 | Report as abusive

Nah, this is just another example of a politician on a schtick.

Wheelz2: Deep fried butter in Iowa is so old hat. We had it LAST year at our state fair.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

It’s good to see Ms. Bachmann practicing her Goofy Faces for the museum. Obviously that gal knows what’s what in the Capitol!
Deep fried butter drenched in a glaze sounds suspiciously like a doughnut to me, Wheelz2. Where there any sprinkles on it?

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

Funny you should say “wurst.” Today, driving home from the Lake (Superior), Mrs. Doc talked me into eating at a German Restaurant in Frankenmuth, Michigan. I had the wurst plate. It was okay, but the “Bavarian” atmosphere was so extreme it seemed like parody . . . or surrealism. By the way, it’s now official. This summer I swam in all five of the Great Lakes. First summer I’ve ever done that.

In doing some research on a ghost town in Michigan (Fayette), I came across one “Robert Bassler,” who was a machinist. I don’t think Fayette needed a blogger back in the 19th Century. No wonder it’s now a ghost town!

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Doc: that you avoided the bus loads of tourists while in Frankenmuth was amazing! That you didn’t shiver all the way to Frankenmuth after swimming in Lake Superior is awesome. I hope you had a nice time and were treated well while in MI. Chalet we go now? Alpine for my home state later…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

@Doc, why would you admit to having the worst plate?

@BG, you really have to be more careful with your titles – obviously, there are trolls out there who search for certain keywords…. Spine of titanium – chortle – and from the gaffes and ridiculous blather that comes from the woman’s mouth, it’s not like she needs any help going down.

Hope the Spam Filter folks earned their pay today.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

One, unfortunately, Superior is really warm this year — upper 50s F. around the shore where our place is on the Keweenaw Pen. It’s the really hot summer we’re having.

Have you ever been to Mandan, a ghost town on Keweenaw? I went there for the first time last week. It was about dusk. Lots of very dilapidated old houses and stone foundations. Without a doubt, that was one of the creepiest experiences I have have had. Fortunately, the rest of the gang in the Mystery Machine helped me stay calm, that and the Scooby snacks….

Dave, it was either the wurst plate or the wiener schnitzel, and I have an ethical thing about eating veal.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

I am with GeorgiaPeach! Baz/Lamar 2012!

So now it’s Michele Bachmann rather than Sarah Palin whom is more desired to do a Playboy spread? What, you think I am kidding? Put Janet Reno on a ticket and see if she wins Iowa. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Oooo! Spine of titanium! I am gonna use that.. where, dunno.. but use it, I shall..
Its gonna be there with “s*um of the earth, flibbertigibbet and gobbledegook”…

OK, that’s at least 3 votes for the BG/Lamar ticket. Off to New Hampshire!

BG … You need my help anymore (re: Spam filter)? I’m ready for that corn dog you promised me?

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Say Cam, your sister isn’t Michele Bachmann, is she?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Shra would you like to add ‘bescumber’ to your list? It’s a great one to slide into a work conversation.

I can see why Ms Bachmann was having trouble with the mustard. Her arm is about is about the same size as the corn dog, and, well, that could lead to a terrible accident. Politicians usually do sound bites, and not bites out of their own body parts.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Nice Dave. :)

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@BG … My sister wouldn’t stoop so low as to be a politician. She has her standards, you know.

Let’s start working on your campaign slogan … Vote for Blog Guy! Medicare doughnuts!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

Not so fast, Cam. The background check on Lamar. There may be some, you know, problems.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Nosmo: Bescumber – person wandering along the shore looking for trash?

@Doc: Can’t say I’ve been to Mandan, though I’ve been up in the Copper Harbor area. Couple of folks tried to tell me my apt. is haunted; but I am by far the creepiest thing in it…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Nah @One – bescumber must be a verb – as is “bescumber yourself into the kitchen and fetch me a glass of mead”.

@BG – background check a problem for Lamar? Have you SEEN some of the politicians nowadays?

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

It’s my own fault, Dave. My background check team went to Lamar and said, “We’re here to find the skeletons in the closts…” And he showed them.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I’m sure Bill Clinton loved that second picture. Will he be running for office again?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Sounds good to me… added to my arsenal!

Umm, Dave? I really don’t think you would want someone to bescumber themself in your kitchen – or indeed any other part of your house.
Having said that, our fine politicians do it all the time.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

@Nosmo – really trying NOT to learn here…..

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

One of you guys is gonna pay for this, it’s all the same to me…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Well, anyway, I was wondering…
Do you think Michelle would get more votes if she added Turner-Overdrive to her last name?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Nosmo, I’m afraid that joke will go right over the heads of my target demographic, 18 to 26-year-old millionaires who only watch PBS.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Made me laugh. Oh, wait…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

I fall outside that criteria, and I still didnt get it!
Darnit!

We could tell you Shra, but then you’d have to zap us…

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@Shra – as Crowy said, if anyone said anything, you would have to be ‘taking care of business’.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

BG…Your “target demographic” would neither “get” nor appreciate the OE Blog. I guess you’re stuck with us, so maybe you should just “Let It Ride.”

@Nosmmo – No matter what else, she’s a politician, so she’s singing a medly of BTO: “Gimme Me Your Money Please,” “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” amd “Roll on Down the Highway.”

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive