Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Scottish zombies get silly in Philly?

August 26, 2011

Blog Guy, I saw a bunch of photos of a zombie movie being made, with Brad Pitt, and it looked like it was in Philadelphia.

So?

But I live in Philly, and I haven’t seen any film activity here. What’s up?

Oh, that’s just a little bit of movie trickery. The film is set in Philadelphia, but they’ve redone another city to look just like it for the actual filming. I guess they did a good job, if it fooled a resident.

Wow! What city did they turn into Philly?

Glasgow, Scotland. So it totally looks like the real thing, huh?

Now that you mention it, I did see lots of guys in kilts playing bagpipes, and the Glasgow City Hall, and cars were driving on the wrong side of the street, and people were eating haggis. But there was a Philadelphia newspaper box, so yeah, it fooled me.

Well, that’s why they call it movie magic.

Blog Guy, why wouldn’t they just shoot the movie in Philadelphia, instead of going to all that trouble in Glasgow?

Are you kidding me? It’s all about budget. You know what zombies get paid in Philadelphia?

Glasgow zombie photo blog

Top: Actor Brad Pitt (C) looks around during the filming of zombie movie ‘World War Z’ in Glasgow, Scotland August 24, 2011. Some scenes in the film are being filmed in Glasgow due to its resemblance to Philadelphia, where parts of the story are set.

Right: Pitt walks between cars during the filming.

Bottom right: Pitt runs during filming.

REUTERS photos by David Moir

Comments

Ok, what’s the deal with the cop on the right? Is that “three fingers” Lamar? Someone take that weapon away from him before he shoots somebody.

Glad you told us this is just a movie and not really the Zombie Apocalypse.

“Save your brains, join the OE Blog Network.”

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Blog Guy, thanks for the great preview scenes from the movie.
Scene one: Arm Pitt steals fuel from a car under the nose of the Police after distracting them by shouting ‘ Hey look – free doughnuts!’
Scene two: Arm Pitt looks pensive – clearly something really important is about to happen.
Scene three: After being totally freaked out by a zombie, Arm Pitt heads for cover, cleverly using a girl as a human shield, or possibly bait.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

RE: Top Photo. If the cop on the right has a loaded gun and the safety isn’t on, there would be bullets flying everywhere…look at his trigger finger….
…not trying to be educationamable…just sayin’.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

I guess the faux Philadelphians defeat the zombies with haggis.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

As an MP, and later for a short stint as a civilian officer in Alabama, I always carried my weapon pointed down.

I knew an MP who was carrying pointed up at a bank alarm, slipped on the ice, and fatally shot himself. True.

Another MP I knew at Fort Campbell, “Boy,” one of my closest friends, was hit and killed by a drunk driver while he was directing traffic. This was after I left Fort Campbell.

Once, while directing traffic, Boy held up his hand, arm extended, palm perpendicular to the ground, to stop a vehicle. The driver didn’t stop. Boy commandeered a civilian vehicle, chased the car down, flagged it over, went up to the driver, pointed at his extended palm and said “LADY, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?”

I’d do the whole three years all over again just to spend one more night on patrol with Boy. Or any of the MPs/ASA MPs at FCK, FRA, and Flak.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Nosmo … Nice screenwriting! Only one thing. Those aren’t real cops so the doughnut ploy won’t work.
Oh look, a cruller! Mmmmmm ….

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

P.S. My sister was driving the taxi. ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

It’s Always Zombie In Philadelphia!

@Nosmo, Pitt Stains look pensive because Angelina told him she wants to adopt all those poor, stranded zombie children.

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Another sign that this was filmed in Scotland: See the guy with the plaid shirt in the crowd scene? That might be his family tartan.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Things became rather silly
When they filmed in Scotland, pretending it’s Philly
They tried to fool the folks
But we’re onto their jokes
With plaid, haggis, and Charles-in-a-kilt with Camilly.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

Geographic mess
The film crew became confused
When they saw “Lansdowne”

(For a non-educational explanation: http://www.lansdownebar.co.uk/lansdowne- bar/home/the-lansdowne-bar-and-kitchen.h tml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdowne,_ Pennsylvania)

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@FriscoJohn: yes, they had to resort to haggis to scare the zombies away. Justin Bieber and Donald Trump were both booked for the weekend.

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

@jclimacus and @FriscoJohn: You’d think they would have at least considered using bagpipes, but I guess Haggis works, too.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@Spin: yes indeed, the playing of bagpipes keeps zombies away. It also keeps the University of Wisconsin Alumni Association away (are you listening BG? :-D) Sadly, if you don’t have either of these Scottish zombie remedies, you are forced to resort to Justin Bieber or the Donald, and once they’re in your neighborhood nothing in the universe will get rid of them. Personally, I’d rather have the zombies.

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

I’m listening, jclimacus. Yes, I’ll take zombies over bagpipes any day.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

What’s in Scotland now?
The Zombie Apocalypse
Will tasers stop them?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

New film rating? Zzzzzzzzzz. Maybe it’s a real sleeper.

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Everyone on the East Coast be safe this weekend

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

Thanks, jclimacus. Yes, I was somewhat surprised today when I realized how many regular commenters live on this coast, from Canada all the way down to the Carolinas and just about every state in-between. I hope to see everybody back here safe and sound on Monday morning…

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@jclimacus: Zombies and earthquakes and hurricanes, oh, my! We’re all OK here in my part of NYC, but, man, where is Brad Pitt when you need him?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

RE: Hurricane Irene, where’s Chuck Norris when you need him, huh!?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Hope all of you are doing ok on teh east coast!!!
As for Glasgow, bahh!!!

Shra, I suppose you’ll be heading over to Glasgow soon?

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Nah, Mr.B.. Not interested in watching Brad Pitt be a zombie :)

I’m pretty sure he won’t be, Shra. They’re not going to hire Brad Pitt and put zombie makeup on him.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

You mean, thats not Brad Pitt in those shots in Glasgow??