Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

It’s even more magical than I remembered!

September 13, 2011

Sure, Doctor, I had a great childhood! I did all the usual stuff. Why do you ask?

It’s just a routine question we ask in therapy, Blog Guy. What is your very best memory of your early childhood back in Indianapolis?

Well, for a big treat, our folks would take me and my sister to Lamar’s Fun-o-Rama and House o’ Horrors! It was every child’s dream come true.

Good, Blog Guy. Now close your eyes and tell me more about Lamar’s. What do you see?

Gosh, I see  the dazzling neon lights, the merry-go-round, the ferris wheel, the calliope, the cotton candy, the clowns, the….the…

The what, Blog Guy?

The swing! I see Lamar’s Swingtastic Adventure! It was a shiny white swing on wheels, the very best ride. Lamar himself would be there to greet the kids and push us in the thing, up into the sky. Nothing could top that!

Blog Guy, I have here an actual old photograph of Lamar’s Swingtastic Adventure….

Uh-oh. This therapy is going to take some time, isn’t it, Doctor?

A man waits for customers to use his swing along a road in Faisalabad, located in Pakistan’s Punjab province September 6, 2011. REUTERS/Fayyaz Hussain

Comments

I saw a lot of funny stuff in Pakistan – land of the NQR – but I never saw any swingers.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

The question is, Blog Guy, when you saw a photo of this swing from your childhood and Lamar’s Swingtastic Adventure, did you make a face that was so goofy that your photo would appear in the Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop, and did you require extra medicated sprinkles on your doughnut?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

Reliving childhood
on Swingtastic Adventure?
Stay in the present.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I remember falling in this kind of swing (extremely accident-prone, when younger).. Still have a scar to remember it by…

I want you to play with my swing-a-ding, my swing-a-ding. Oh, won’t you play with my swing-a-ding?

At least that’s how I think it went so long ago.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Is this a “first?”…. A photo of Lamar? I wouldn’t have pictured him looking like that!

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

I bet you’d have to take some preventive jabs before riding this thing.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

No, Moonshine, that’s just one of Lamar’s helpers. There has never been an actual photo of Lamar in this blog.

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Whew…what a relief. It had me worried for a minute there. I was beginning to feel REALLY sorry for LadyLaLa.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@ Moonshine: Thanks for your concern. Of course that’s not my Lamar. That’s Fidel Castro. Since brother Raul took over, Fidel does odd jobs to keep busy.

Posted by ladylala | Report as abusive

Lamar’s Swingtastic Adventure is conveniently located in front of the Ward Star Trek Convention Center for a day of family fun! Come on down!

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Haha…ladylala, he does actually look a bit like Fidel lol

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive