Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

What’s better than camping out drunk?

September 17, 2011

Congratulate me, Blog Guy! I’m going to Oktoberfest this year! It’s a life-long dream come true!

Hey, that sounds nice. Where will you be staying?

I‘m not totally sure, but I’m paying about $80 a night, so I’m guessing it will be very, very swanky. Maybe like a suite or something.

Ah. Yeah, I think I know the place, the ‘Wiesn camp’ at the Horse Stadium.

Pretty posh, huh?

Um, it’s 300 tents, holding four people each. So you drink beer all day long, then you crawl into your tent along with your three roomies and their tubas or whatever.

But there’s a private bathroom, right?

It depends on what you mean by “private” and by “bathroom.”

Ouch. Well, what if I’m willing to shell out a little more money. Is there an upgrade?

Sure. Feast your eyes on these colorful two-person Oktoberfest storage containers. Be sure to check out on time, though, because I think when Oktoberfest is over they seal them up and put them on a cargo ship bound for Yemen.

Holy crap! I’m disappointed. I expected better accommodations in Germany!

You’re kidding. You think you actually get to sleep in Germany?

Top: A man walks among some 300 tents, each for four people, in the ‘Wiesn camp’ at the Olympic Horse Stadium in Munich-Riem September 13, 2011.

Right: A woman wearing a traditional Bavarian Dirndl drinks a beer during the opening ceremony for the 176th Oktoberfest in Munich September 19, 2009.

Left: Seven-square-meter rooms containing two single beds for Oktoberfest visitors are seen at the Olympic Horse Stadium in Munich-Riem September 14, 2011.

REUTERS photos by Michaela Rehle

Comments

Sleeping on the ground in a horse stadium with beer drinkers. What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

…er…Road Apples?

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

If you ever go to Oktoberfest, stay in Augsburg and take the train to Munich (30 minutes) and return. Besides being charming and very historical, Augsburg accommodations will cost 1/3 of those in Munich, at most. Sample Augsburg brews, which I find superior to Munich ones. (Only Munich Biers can be served at Oktoberfest.) And you will want to get away from the crowds and drunk drunk drunk drunk tourists.

At the festival, go to the Augustiner-Festhalle. There, you will find the locals drinking their favorite brew, Augustiner, which is in wooden kegs, not stainless steel ones.

From Augsburg, travel the Romantic Road north to Rothenburg ob der Tauber and stay there a night. Vist the royal castles south of Augsburg: Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ahhh, nice mugs! :D

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

Oh, Doc, don’t you fear the wrath of Shra?

Posted by lemonttaylor | Report as abusive

pic #2
What, no salmon bar with our refreshment today, courtesy of Mr. Spam Filter? Ahh, Bavaria…

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

DoctorDoll, the Mario Perillo of Oktoberfest. :)

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Come for the beer, stay for the dirndls.

If you can’t make the ones in Germany, come on down to Big D. Nearby Addison is having the 3rd largest Ocktoberfest in the world.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Oh Dave,

We all miss Little Miss Random and her mug comments….

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

What’s better than camping out drunk?
Looking at some fine mugs while camping out drunk. :D

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

And all the prettiest Frauleins live in Augsbug.:)

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Those sneaky Germans started Oktoberfest in September, in an attempt to stymie the Australians, and so prevent them from drinking all the beer.
Sadly, this has proved to be ineffective.

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Lemon, I let Doc be.. he is obviously taking his medi-doughnuts without the sprinkles..
BG, thats your fault!!!
though I must say, I have been to Neuschwanstein and it was very pretty!!! :)

I guess pronouncing “Dirndl” becomes superfluous for guys once they get to see one (or more). And with a helping or two of beer mugs (excuse the pun), speaking altogether would become useless.

One’s got to love Germany…

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@DoctorDoll: Did you say Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein? Gesundheit!

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@FriscoJohn: They used to say that Addison has the highest number of restaurants per capita in the country. That is not correct, but, because all the counties surrounding it were (are?) dry, Addison wound up with tons of restaurants and bars. I’m not surprised that they’re having their own Oktoberfest. Besides, everything is bigger in Texas (dirndl and mug jokes aside), so it’s also not surprising that Addison’s Oktoberfest is the third largest in the world.*

*These statements are not eductional. They are an excuse for me to hark back to my days in Dallas many years ago.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

It’s Oktoberfest
Go get the Beer-a-bago
And sleep in a tent

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I’ll add to yours Spin..

It’s Oktoberfest!
So drink to your heart’s content,
But don’t be a pest!

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

@Malteser: The haiku party is a the-more-the-merrier kind of affair. Thanks for joining — with a rhyme, no less. Let’s invite a limerick to the party:

It’s that time of year
When people drink lots of beer
And when you’re really spent
You can sleep in a tent
And emerge when your head is more clear

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive