Ramen Museum? My cup runneth over!

September 20, 2011

Okay, kids, I got the tickets for our big vacation trip today, and you’re gonna love it!

Yay for Daddy! You’re the bestest! Where are we going? Disney World, Universal, Dollywood?

Nope, better than that, kids. This year, it’s the Cup Noodles Museum!

WTF, Daddy? A noodle museum?

Sure, kids! It’s a whole museum celebrating the 40th anniversary of cup noodles, with a “Chicken Ramen Factory,” a giant noodle cup, a golden statue of the company’s founder…

It even has “Cup Noodles Park” and a “virtual fryer,” an interactive attraction “where children can experience the manufacturing process of cup noodles…”

Are you listening to the words coming out of your mouth, Daddy?

Now kids, just look at it as sort of like “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” but with food you’d only eat at gunpoint.

Top: A boy makes noodles at “Chicken Ramen Factory”, where visitors can experience the process of making the world’s first instant noodles, installed at the Cup Noodles museum during a media preview in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, September 16, 2011.

Left combo: A girl plays at “Cup Noodles Park.”

Left combo: A man touches a statue of Nissin Food Holdings founder Momofuku Ando.

Right: A boy plays at a “virtual fryer”, part of an interactive attraction.

REUTERS photos by Yuriko Nakao

Even at gun point I’m hungry, is this normal?

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I think if the Nude Blacks play an exhibition match at the Raw Men Museum, I’ll attend…
…Oh, wait. You said RAMEN.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Is that really a statue or did someone stay in the ‘virtual fryer’ for just a little too long?

Posted by Nosmo_King | Report as abusive

Fwd079, you may have hit on a brilliant idea. A restaurant where people are forced at gunpoint to eat. “I knew I shouldn’t have had a whole key lime pie, but the waiter had an AK-47!” Watch for more on this soon….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

I knew if I named my son Momofuku he would be famous….

Posted by Billl | Report as abusive

Best line of the blog today: WTF, Daddy?

Please know that the next time I’m in Japan, I am totally making my friends in Yokohama go to this museum with me. This is awesome.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I have the feeling that any university student would rebel to such a vacation and would say, “Ugh no, I eat enough of this stuff. Don’t make me look at anything related to it.”

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

I humbly offer a haiku:

いいですね
カップヌードル
食べたいは

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@Spin-sana: well done.
To which I add my haiku
to Ramen drama:

Dried noodles boiling.
Museum ad nauseam.
Shelf life of Twinky.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

@69 … I’m impressed! Have a doughnut! I want one of those kewl hats like in the first pic. As far as the virtual fryer, I’ve been virtually fried for years. ;-)

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

@Spin – Amazing!

Ok, I’ll ask, WTF is a “virtual fryer”? And why would anyone want to interact with it?

Youse guys have never had to subsist on MRE’s, or you’d have a better appreciation for the fine cuisine that is Ramen Noodles.

Posted by Dave_not_dave | Report as abusive

@Dave:

Back in the days
It was ration-Ks.
Or rations-Cs
Not those better MREs
So my stomach says.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Dave, we didn’t have MREs. We had MCIs and sometimes C- and K-rations. In the field in the winter, Lipton Noodle Soup packets were very, very popular. Once, I combined cans of pork and beans and cans of speghetti and heated the result. Not bad. (Nick Adams does this in Hemingway’s short story “Big Two Hearted River.”) I still like to do that when I’m backpacking — but only if I haven’t caught any fish.

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

Ditto, Spin. And as any starving university student will tell you – Ramen Noodles are the world’s most effective diet food. At under 200 calories, you can’t eat enough of them in a day to maintain your weight if that’s all you eat. I heard they’re planning a new wing at Cup Noodle Museum that will be dedicated to the Diet Miracles of Ramen….

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

Sorry, to those who are annoyed by such things: that should be “spaghetti.”

Posted by DoctorDoll | Report as abusive

@Moonshine: And at 5 packs for a dollar in Chinatown and heating elements other than water kettles verboten in the dorms, ramen changed my life for the better in college. Granted, I’m talking about the packets and not the cup o’ noodles, but they’re brethren in the instant ramen world.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Favored by students
everywhere, ramen noodles -
the new MRE

Posted by AllThatJazz | Report as abusive

@Dave: Virtual fryers are sold at the virtual site for Williams-Sonoma for a virtual price of $299.99, a virtual steal.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Thanks RB, looking forward to it :)

Posted by fwd079 | Report as abusive

I checked out the website http://www.cupnoodles-museum.jp/ and looked at the FAQs.

If my Japanese isn’t too rusty, my understanding is that, for a rental fee of 2,000 yen (US $25 / 20 euros), you can get English-, Chinese-, or Korean-language voice-over machines for the 2nd floor exhibit hall and whatever they project in the theater. You get your money back when you return the machine.

I say that we stop off at this museum on the way to Krasnoyarsk or on the way to the New Zealand rugby match. Anyone with me?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

Got your noodles in a twist? Unwind with the OE Blog Network (just add water)

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

BTW, it’s official. Our own Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop now has a reciprocity agreement with the Raman Museum. If you pay to get into the GFMDS in Washington, keep your stub and get in free to the Ramen Museum in Yokahama, on the same day….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

Wacky parity … LOVE IT!

Posted by justCAM | Report as abusive

The virtual fryer is creepy. Is this a popoular museum? Should I try to convince the boss that we need a pork pie museum with a virtual mincing exhibit?

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

Wait, wait, don’t tell me. I’ve done that. I left Japan at 3:30pm one day and arrived in New York the same day at 3:00pm — before I even left. It was wonderful having a 24 1/2-hour day. The time while I was in the air mysteriously vanished from the clock.

Blog Guy, do you know if we have a time-difference-and-airline-travel reciprocity agreement, too, so that if I leave the US at 3:30pm, I can arrive in Japan at 3:00pm the same day?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

RB,
With the international date line, it might be easier to do that the other way around, first noodles then GFMDS.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

@Spin: Were you flying on the new BT-70?

Posted by jclimacus081 | Report as abusive

A virtual fryer? Couldn’t you just have left him on a tanning bed for a few hours?

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

The only way my cup will runneth over is if I buy a smaller cup…

Posted by Onedoor | Report as abusive

Spin, wow!! You can write in Ramen Noodles!
We had something similar back home, we just called them Maggi Noodles…
For me, that’s comfort food… siiiiiigh!

@FriscoJohn: With all our technological adances, we probably have ways of getting around pesky issues like the International Date Line and time differences.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@jclimacus: Flying?

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

@Onedoor: I’m laughing not soft at your comments.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

You don’t know much about the museum business, do you, Frisco? The idea is to make it as difficult as possible, so that I don’t have hundreds of free-loading noodle-slurpers showing up at our door….

Posted by rcbasler | Report as abusive

@Shra: LOL! Yes, I can write in Ramen Noodles.

I just read this about Maggi Noodles on Wikipedia: In several countries, it is also known as “maggi mee” (mee is Indonesian/Malay/Hokkien for noodles).

Rod Stewart is such a thief! He’s stealing lyrics from Nestle.

Posted by 69Spinster | Report as abusive

ooooo! Come down to Edin, I am never short of my comfort food… Nothing like a steaming bowl of Maggi when its cold and freezing outside…

[...] Ramen noodles every which way possible, you now have an Ramen Noodle alter where you can worship-The Ramen Noodle  Museum.  Yokohama here I [...]

[...] Guy, I read your item about the Ramen Museum in Japan, which sounds kind of boring. Are there any really great food-themed [...]