Oddly Enough Blog

News, but not the serious kind

Whack it with a hammer, dude, I’m hungry!

September 27, 2011

Blog Guy, you haven’t shared any of those fancy Williams-Sonoma items recently, the ones for foodies with too much money. Don’t they have a new catalog out?

They do indeed, and I recommend you try making their clay chicken.

Clay chicken? Isn’t the phrase CLAY PIGEON?

Nope, this is something they call a “fun and easy way to cook chicken.” It involves two chickens and nine pounds of clay, which hardens around the meat during the process. Then, when you’re ready to serve it, you slam it with a big mallet to crack the clay open.

No, you don’t.

Yes, you do.

So, wait. These guys find a way to make everything expensive. How much is this?

Their “clay chicken roasting kit” is a mere $14.95.

From Williams-Sonoma? That’s a bargain, Blog Guy!

Yes, I guess it is. Oh, did I mention the olive wood mallet, $19.95? The Maple rolling pin, $36? The stainless steel roaster, $159.95? The Pro Commercial Thermometer, $99.95? The W├╝sthof carving kit, $179.95?

Chicken wrapped in clay, huh? And I thought all chicken came in a bucket! I can’t believe Williams-Sonoma invented this goofy dish!

They didn’t invent it. It’s a well-known dish in China called “Beggar’s Chicken,” which the New York Times wrote about 20 years ago. The basic recipe calls for ”six pounds of pond mud.”

Wow! So how did it come to be named “beggar’s” chicken?

Hey, YOU try spending $500 to make a lousy chicken dinner and see how your finances look the next day!

Screen grabs from williams-sonoma.com

Comments

Aunty Remus does clay things. A potterer, I suppose. Our adopted son, George the Crab, read this interesting blog, Mr Blog Guy, and is hiding all of the mallets which normally could be found in my work room in the basement. Do you know how expensive it will be to get George psychiatric treatment for PTSD after reading this? DO YOU?

Crabs have feelings too, you know! Even the rubber ones!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

We just got back from vacationing in New York. We did the usual Niagara Falls viewing, and I got to play soldier while visiting Fort Niagara. However, when I put ‘Goofy Face Museum and Doughnut Shop’ into the Google Map Thing thing, I came up with the MoMA, and the MoNYC.

Oh, my! Anyway, I tried to bribe Aunty Remus, and she refused to even think about visiting New York City. So? Mr Blog Guy! I am still short of the best part of NYC, which would be visiting the highly applauded MoGFaDS!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

My neighbor bought a bicycle for 40 bucks. He came over to the house crowing about what a good deal he got. I asked him how much he’d put into the bike since he bought it. He did some mental calculating and said “Two Hundred Bucks”. I can buy the same bike brand new for $150.

I’m going to send him a link to this post. He’ll like it. He likes chicken a lot.

And crow.

Posted by lceel | Report as abusive

Where is Vince Vaughn when you need him?

Oh, wait, that was Clay Pigeons, not Clay Chicken.

Posted by FriscoJohn | Report as abusive

Hedgehogs in clay though… The spikes come off with the cooked clay a treat.

Posted by CrowGirl | Report as abusive

@Frisco – love that movie! “Clay, do me a favor; don’t find anymore dead bodies?” :P

Posted by GeorgiaPeach | Report as abusive

CG, you hit that right on the button…with a mallet! Since I have been brought up on delicacies such as opossum belly, squirrel brains, and other delicacies, once I got to eat some nice crunchy hedgehog quills, nothing else will ever do as well as they do!

Posted by uncarastus | Report as abusive

So that’s what Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze where doing in that scene from Ghost. They were getting ready to cook some chicken! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

A rolling pin for $36???????? What’s it made of??

Shra, what do I look like, an ornithologist? How would we know!? Besides, answering you would be educational.

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive

Oh, Unca, you’ve reminded me of our first “restaurant meal” when we moved to NC….
…took the kids out to breakfast and the first item on the Breakfast Menu was “Brains & Eggs.” The kids wanted to leave, but we convinced them that the pancakes should be OK.

Posted by Moonshine | Report as abusive

@Shra, it’s made of Maple as the description says. Maple is a rare wood harvested from the forrests of Ehaboot, Canada. Each rolling pin, in order to maximize it’s ability to flatten soft objects, has a single hair of a Yeti at it’s core. Legend has it that a grandmother, armed only with a Maple Rolling Pin, was able to defend her front lawn from an entire gang of “gosh darn skateboarding punk kids!”

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

you seem quite fond of this word “ornithilogist”… you used it in that Chinese helicopter blog too…
Are you one, yourself?
Mr.Pilot, gotta zap you for that additional info of Ehaboot.. very funny :) zapppppppppp

I am off on holiday tomorrow for 2 weeks, to India :).. will check in time and again, to see that you are not misbehaving in my continued absence. :p

Oh that tingles! :D

Posted by iflydaplanes | Report as abusive

Yep – I’m taking a liking to the word, the BG influence is rubbing in on me. Does that call for medi-doughnuts?

Posted by Malteser | Report as abusive